Non-smoking anniversary

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
my inner Scotsman would have taken over

That happens all the TIME, when I think about buying any sort of "expensive" guitar. For me, that's anything over $1000. Maybe my inner Scot is closer to the surface.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
25 years ago for me and I still miss it sad to say. Here's the really stupid part. I didn't quit because it was bad for my health. I quit when the cost per pack hit a certain $ level like maybe $3 a pack or something like that. So. the reason I quit smoking was because I was too damned cheap to continue to smoke. Did it cold turkey though. So, in addition to being cheap I guess I'm also stubborn. Hmm come to think of it, those words came up in a couple divorce proceedings.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
25 years ago for me and I still miss it sad to say. Here's the really stupid part. I didn't quit because it was bad for my health. I quit when the cost per pack hit a certain $ level like maybe $3 a pack or something like that. So. the reason I quit smoking was because I was too damned cheap to continue to smoke. Did it cold turkey though. So, in addition to being cheap I guess I'm also stubborn. Hmm come to think of it, those words came up in a couple divorce proceedings.
Stubborn I might buy - but "cheap" never. Have you looked at your signature?

Grassdog

Reaction score
I quit at around age 40 when i got sick of getting sore throats all the time and I noticed my vocal range was deteriorating. That's when it hit home. If I could only go back and quit sooner.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I put 'em down about 30 years ago, when the price of a pack went above a dollar. For me it was harder to quit the bad habit of biting my fingernails. You can avoid having cigarettes around but there's always a fingernail "handy".

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember saying "I'll never spend $1.00 for a pack of cigarettes." They were up around $2.00 a pack when I got around to quitting.

The cheapest I ever got them for was on board the USS Ranger; when we were at sea the taxes came off and the price was $1.10 per carton.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Had a very long standing cigar habit that was getting more and more out of hand, and then came that dreadful day last May, when I took an unplanned helicopter ride. Stopped the cigars cold, right then and there. Spring is now upon us, and it's not going to be easy, but cigars are without question, no longer on the list of priorities for me.

Congrats to all you fellow LTG'ers that have kicked the habit. We are all very diligent about taking care of our Guilds, and taking care of our arteries , should be no different.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Can't relate since I've never had the "pleasure" but I can congratulate you on your success. :eagerness:

My Dad was a heavy smoker and I think that was instrumental in my lack of interest in ever starting. He died of lung cancer.

Joe

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I have a friend who's carries a cig behind his ear all the time. He hasn't lit up in 20 years either. I applaud that. As you guys said, the urge doesn't go away; you have to make a conscious effort to avoid falling off the wagon.

For me, staying away from the slippery slope of desserts is my challenge (diabetes). That's a far easier task than you guys face, I realize, but it is there every day. And, misery loves company, right? :)

Rock on, and stay strong!

I too am a diabetic and though smoking was easy to quit, I find diabetes cravings a helluva lot more challenging. They say my sugar craving is all in the head, that diabetes doesn't cause excessive cravings. Uhh, BS to that. I think there way of thinking is all in their heads. If I can quit drinking and smoking then I should be able to control the diabetic urges but it's a lot harder.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I too am a diabetic and though smoking was easy to quit, I find diabetes cravings a helluva lot more challenging. They say my sugar craving is all in the head, that diabetes doesn't cause excessive cravings. Uhh, BS to that. I think there way of thinking is all in their heads.

I agree, because a craving for sugar, fat, and salt is an evolutionary element built into the human metabolism and even evidences itself on out the layout of our tongues.
A taste for tobacco is most definitely an acquired one and one suspects it was really only ever pursued for domestication because of its consciousness-altering properties, as slight as they may be compared to other stuff...

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I remember saying "I'll never spend $1.00 for a pack of cigarettes." They were up around $2.00 a pack when I got around to quitting.

The cheapest I ever got them for was on board the USS Ranger; when we were at sea the taxes came off and the price was $1.10 per carton.

Oh, yeah. I spent time on the USS America and those smokes were cheap! Back then the military encouraged smoking.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah Dave, I used to say "At this price, you can't afford to not smoke."

Then people would still try to bum cigarettes from me; I'd tell them to buy their own at 11 cents a pack!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In 1970, I would trade my 4 cigarettes (in my field rations) for can of fruit.

I was in Sicily (Sigonella) in 73-74. You could barter for just about anything on the local economy for american cigarettes. Marlboro was the preferred brand, as I recall.