Non-smoking anniversary

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Best thing I ever did for myself was to quit smoking 21 years ago today!

That's 230,000 cigarettes I haven't smoked since then!

Or, 11,500 packs of cigarettes X avg $3.50/pack = over $40,000.00 I've saved.

That's it, I'm telling Mrs. Dread I need to buy a new Guild...

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Been a couple of decades for me as well and yes, it was the best thing for me. But I still get the urge. I guess that never goes away but I quit cold turkey so I know I'm fine. Good job man.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a friend who's carries a cig behind his ear all the time. He hasn't lit up in 20 years either. I applaud that. As you guys said, the urge doesn't go away; you have to make a conscious effort to avoid falling off the wagon.

For me, staying away from the slippery slope of desserts is my challenge (diabetes). That's a far easier task than you guys face, I realize, but it is there every day. And, misery loves company, right? :)

Rock on, and stay strong!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fortunately, I completely lost the urge to smoke, can't stand smelling second hand smoke either. I'm so glad they outlawed smoking in business establishments, restaurants, bars, etc. Inside the Buffalo Wild Wings by us used to smell like a big ash tray.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was lucky 54 years ago, when i had started smoking - but did not like it that much yet - had to be cool with other boys - school doctor caught it by noticing, that my hemoglobine had started to go down rapidly - he showed me the charts and gave good advice. He did not tell my parents or teachers. I quit on spot. All my friends accepted it without scorn. While they were sucking their own cigarettes, they were telling how I can not do that because it ruins my blood. Suppose they had different blood . . .

And then naturally we calculate 54yrs x 365 days x 6€/pack = 118 260€ - and equally naturally them smokers tell me to show the money, or tell where it is now.

tommym

Reaction score
Hi Dread,

Congrats! I hope you really do get a new Guild!

I quite smoking, and drinking alcohol, coffee, caffeinated beverages, etc. decades ago as diabetes runs in the family. But cutting out excess sugar from my diet has been the hardest vice for me to deal with as it occurs naturally in a lot of good foods such a as fruits, honey, etc. So the "trigger" is always there. Unfortunately, it seems the body doesn't really differentiate between good and bad forms sugars either. So it all comes down to the amount of sugar (good or bad) you take in on a daily basis. I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat at night dreaming about fresh baked chocolate glazed yeast donuts. And don't get me starting on sprinkle toppings, as that is truly a morale buster for me. :grumpy:

Tommy

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
June 28, 2002 for me, and the best thing I ever did for myself too. At that time, cigarettes were already up to $3.50 a pack in New York, now they're over $10, and have been for a number of years. Even if I hadn't quit for health reasons, my inner Scotsman would have taken over, and I would have quit just because of the cost!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I completely lost the urge to smoke, can't stand smelling second hand smoke either. I'm so glad they outlawed smoking in business establishments, restaurants, bars, etc. Inside the Buffalo Wild Wings by us used to smell like a big ash tray.

Major dittoes on this, and congrats, even after 21 years. Finally got my kid to quit, man that was hard... Everytime I brought it up she said "you're making me smoke"... She's a couple years now, counts the days, posts them on Facebook. Got baby now, baby didn't need that. It's so hard to keep your loved ones healthy, but the alternative ain't pretty...

Congrats to anyone here that kicked it, my admiration.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I had pneumonia back in 1984 and coughed for ten days nonstop. Couldn't smoke for those 10 days. When it was over, I realized that I had quit smoking, and never looked back.

Go get that new Guild Dread!

Antney

Reaction score
Even though I’ve never caught my wife with a cigarette in her mouth I still think she’s smokin

The first two friends from my teen years who passed were 57 and 56. Both heavy smokers. Both lung cancer.

I’d buy the guild if I were you

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
June 28, 2002 for me, and the best thing I ever did for myself too. At that time, cigarettes were already up to $3.50 a pack in New York, now they're over $10, and have been for a number of years. Even if I hadn't quit for health reasons, my inner Scotsman would have taken over, and I would have quit just because of the cost!

Aye, isn't that the truth?

Nowadays people are forking over what, $8.99, $10.99 a pack?

I could never do that, ever.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I should have extra money just falling out of my pockets, LOL

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Go get that new Guild Dread!

Yep. I know it's treacherous ground at the moment, but it seems when I hear about people getting ready to "cross over", most of 'em seem to regret what they didn't do as opposed to what they did do.
Kinda like Tom says: "USE the good china!"

beecee

Reaction score
7 years for me, I still have over 200 cigars in my humidor.

Used to smoke 2 cigars a day to cover up the smell of the 20 cigarettes I smoked from my wife.....she knew.

Anyone want some vintage Arturo Fuentes 858's or VERY vintage Canary Islands Dunhills???

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
7 years for me, I still have over 200 cigars in my humidor.

Used to smoke 2 cigars a day to cover up the smell of the 20 cigarettes I smoked from my wife.....she knew.

Anyone want some vintage Arturo Fuentes 858's or VERY vintage Canary Islands Dunhills???

Quit smoking cigarettes 28 years ago when I realized the inconsistency of the "do as I say and not as I do" message by me telling my then two-year old daughter that smoking was bad. One of the hardest things I've done - took me 5 attempts.

I still maintain a couple of humidors (home office and office office), but am down to a dozen cigars a year.

Love Arturo Fuente cigars - have some Chateau Fuente in the home humidor (away from the office grifters).

If any of you visit Philadelphia, and enjoy cigars, be sure to check out Holt's Cigar Company Walnut Street store.