Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-smoking anniversary

Non-smoking anniversary

Best thing I ever did for myself was to quit smoking 21 years ago today!

That's 230,000 cigarettes I haven't smoked since then!

Or, 11,500 packs of cigarettes X avg $3.50/pack = over $40,000.00 I've saved.

That's it, I'm telling Mrs. Dread I need to buy a new Guild...
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Congratulations and I like your thinking!

Been a couple of decades for me as well and yes, it was the best thing for me. But I still get the urge. I guess that never goes away but I quit cold turkey so I know I'm fine. Good job man.
    Doc-Living in the twilight in West Central Ohio. Red hair and black leather; my favorite color scheme.
    D25
    D15
    Peace

I have a friend who's carries a cig behind his ear all the time. He hasn't lit up in 20 years either. I applaud that. As you guys said, the urge doesn't go away; you have to make a conscious effort to avoid falling off the wagon.

For me, staying away from the slippery slope of desserts is my challenge (diabetes). That's a far easier task than you guys face, I realize, but it is there every day. And, misery loves company, right? :)

Rock on, and stay strong!
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

Fortunately, I completely lost the urge to smoke, can't stand smelling second hand smoke either. I'm so glad they outlawed smoking in business establishments, restaurants, bars, etc. Inside the Buffalo Wild Wings by us used to smell like a big ash tray.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

I was lucky 54 years ago, when i had started smoking - but did not like it that much yet - had to be cool with other boys - school doctor caught it by noticing, that my hemoglobine had started to go down rapidly - he showed me the charts and gave good advice. He did not tell my parents or teachers. I quit on spot. All my friends accepted it without scorn. While they were sucking their own cigarettes, they were telling how I can not do that because it ruins my blood. Suppose they had different blood . . .

And then naturally we calculate 54yrs x 365 days x 6€/pack = 118 260€ - and equally naturally them smokers tell me to show the money, or tell where it is now.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Congratulations, dread!

walrus
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Hi Dread,

Congrats! I hope you really do get a new Guild!

I quite smoking, and drinking alcohol, coffee, caffeinated beverages, etc. decades ago as diabetes runs in the family. But cutting out excess sugar from my diet has been the hardest vice for me to deal with as it occurs naturally in a lot of good foods such a as fruits, honey, etc. So the "trigger" is always there. Unfortunately, it seems the body doesn't really differentiate between good and bad forms sugars either. So it all comes down to the amount of sugar (good or bad) you take in on a daily basis. I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat at night dreaming about fresh baked chocolate glazed yeast donuts. And don't get me starting on sprinkle toppings, as that is truly a morale buster for me.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

June 28, 2002 for me, and the best thing I ever did for myself too. At that time, cigarettes were already up to $3.50 a pack in New York, now they're over $10, and have been for a number of years. Even if I hadn't quit for health reasons, my inner Scotsman would have taken over, and I would have quit just because of the cost!
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    ...Even if I hadn't quit for health reasons, my inner Scotsman would have taken over, and I would have quit just because of the cost!
    LOL!

Tommy
    Westerly
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard