Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tidy Headstocks

Tidy Headstocks

How many here are a stickler for tidy headstocks? I know I sure am, and ever since I started using the Taylor method for restringing guitars, mine come out like this every time.

Using my power winder, I can do this in 15 minutes or less. This is the F50ce, and damn, does it sound good with a fresh set of EJ16s. Man am I glad I goaded myself into buying this one!
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

Definitely a stickler too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonneville88 View Post
    Definitely a stickler too!

That looks like the Alpep© system to me!

Somebody could lose an eye like that!
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

I do a modified version of the Taylor method. First wrap goes over the hole in the post. Subsequent wraps go under. Gives me very stable tuning - guitars are still in tune after several months cased.

'69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - a nephew's)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, Qvart) FOR SALE
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, Neal) FOR SALE
    '94 D-6 FOR SALE
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R (ex-Killdeer43, Jeffcoop,) FOR SALE
    GAD-30 (ex-Killdeer43, Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger) FOR SALE
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought

Nope, I'm really careful about measuring the cut, then I take my needle nose pliers and bend exactly the amount of string that will catch without any extra, drop that puppy into the slot and then pull down and use the string winder until it can catch in the slot. All neat and tidy. If there's any any tiny extra bit that sticks out..... before my mind melts down.... I snip it was my cutters. Sandy, we're on the same wave length, brother!!

gjmalcyon, close but you got some extra on there that would drive me crazy. I know..... "short trip!!" but the exact width of my small needle nose pliers is enough to lock the strings with maybe a micron over the depth of the hole.

Anyway, tomorrow night, I gotta pack up my kit and go on the road to my brother and sis in laws new house here in Vegas. He has his daughter Heather's old Washburn dread (and honestly it's a fairly decent guitar!!) and he wondered if it needed new strings. They haven't been changed since she was 16. She and her twin brother turned 39 yesterday.

Uhmmmm, yeah, time for new ones. So now I'm a traveling man. Honestly, it's far out in Vegas terms but Dana is such a gambler that the M Resort already comps her $200 per two weeks (for food and alcohol) and she has her own parking space. They also got a catered event and loaded into one of the huge limos with the other top gamblers to the Golden Knights game the other month!! They had a box with catered food and booze...... (how much money does this woman gamble???) oh well. They're nice enough and they treat us like royalty. So.... string change tomorrow for the bro.

It's not like i don't have extra strings.

Nice job Sandy..... neat the trim!! just like I like 'em and that rosewood is beautiful!! i'm gonna start a headstock photo thread. Not tonight though.....
    Last edited by davismanLV; 03-20-2019 at 03:31 AM.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Hello

Depending on my mood of the day - I use two different methods - the old curl-them-up and the newer cut-them-as-short-you-can

At the moment my F512 is curly and F212 is short.

But it just happens that for unknown reason my LG2-3/4 is schizophrenic - or I have put in three new plain strings in a hurry

First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

I must say, I have to have my strings on just right, with the last wind of the string low on the post for the best brake angle, to keep it copasetic. There is no other way, and the Taylor way has taken it out of my lap. Done the same way, just out of my lap now and on a table. The Ernie Ball string winder is the key.

Ralph clarification
    Last edited by F312; 03-20-2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Where might I find details on this Taylor Way .... sounds like I may have some more to learn.

I’ve always just changed them and not thought too much about it and it has always been fine for me. But I bet I could get better. (And my headstocks might drive you nutty).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TBK711 View Post
    Where might I find details on this Taylor Way .... sounds like I may have some more to learn.
    Here?

https://www.taylorguitars.com/suppor...-steel-strings
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Yes, the link was embedded in my original post. I'm not a huge fan of Taylor guitars, but their restringing method can't be beat.
    Sandy