Richie Havens The key plus a Guild .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sadly Richie is gone and I totally missed him as I've never heard of him .I kind of regret that so I'll just have to do some back tracking .

Anyway I thought it looked like a guild he was playing in the vid I watched but I couldn't tell for sure .

This is the same vid but not trimmed like the one I watched first . I like everything about this song and Guild sounds great .

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Richie was a long time Guild endorser with his own model; a D-40 with double pickguards.

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....I totally missed him as I've never heard of him....

He opened Woodstock, Ray. He put them on their feet.
With some dynamic, vigorous, spirited strumming and singing.​

Sometimes I feel
Like a motherless child
A long way from my home.​

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
More unique than Hendrix, in his own way.

Watching the Key, he's fantastic on the guitar, and you have no idea what he's doing.

I don't even want to know. I've heard it explained before, some even said that (Woodstock era) "he didn't even know what tuning he was in", or whatever, just part of the legend.

Now off to watch Woodstock. That I've seen, many times...

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My new F30 goes bonkers for Open D. I think it's the magic key for that guitar, which is awesome for me, I've been nuts about D for years (I have a series of songs, enough for an album called GoneD, also GoneG) but I've been into D longer than G, or was it the other way around?

Then I recently tried open D again, and finally began to explore how good it sounds, although the inability to play a normal G is a deal killer about 95% of the time, but you're in that mood all the sudden, I love it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Richie was a long time Guild endorser with his own model; a D-40 with double pickguards.
Right, but that didn't come out until Corona in '03, and he'd been a D40 user ever since even before the first (major label) album:
91Cj4UUtgzL._SY355_.jpg

Actually the second "peel and mount" 'guard was delivered unmounted in the case for the owner to mount or not according to their preference.
Note the absence of chesterfield on that pre '67 D40 (album was released in late '66 so can't be newer than that); he had to have been using a different one by Woodstock.
He was also a G41 endorser:
Hello nature boy,
Welcome! Have been looking at Guild guitars for quite a few years but haven't seen that many myself; maybe ten at the most but that in itself doesn't mean much. They're pretty rare!
Here's a photo of Mark Wright in the Guild repair shop, strumming Richie Havens' personal G-41.
MarkWright_1.jpg

Would love to see photos of the one you're interested in.
Sincerely,
Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl
And I have a "pet theory" he may have introduced Clapton to F50's:
1a8dc8b6031cc058483c72b60a14e6cd.jpg

Backstage at Café Au Go Go New York October '67

616479b029440a1033af168de3b6b076--eric-clapton-blues-guild-guitars.jpg

ovzwtd3kori4xlyv8kqc.jpg

Endorsement pic(s) and cover photo of a '68 Guild price list

You can all blame Richie for my decision to focus on acoustic guitar after seeing Woodstock as a 14 year old in '70.

My actual favorite Havens CD:
41H72Z2G9XL.jpg

For this tune:

He was also interviewed for this Guild Gallery, it used to be up on Guild's website but can't find a transcription just now, so will leave the signpost for those who may want to dig further:
gxt5lgbjzzqzorltmbyt.jpg

:tranquillity:

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow cool guys a lot to take in . I like his style very unique .

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh, PS, not just Richie but his long-time right-hand man Walter Parks was a loyal Guild user, too:
parks_1_web.jpg

walter-parks-playing-little-martha.jpg

Walter Parks playing "Little Martha"

And that D40 wasn't the only Guild on stage at Woodstock that day, either.
There was an F47 there too:
Richie_Havens-21.jpg

Oh my, it's a Guild gallery.

I'd never really noticed what that other guitar was.

Fantastical ;-)

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
I got to sit front row at a Richie Havens show about 10 years ago. Absolutely mind blowing. Walter Parks killed it that night too.
After the show I got to ask him a question- I told him I was feeling stuck in working to write songs and he said roughly "You just pick up a guitar, get out of the way, and let the songs come out". I've wished for 10 years that I could find it that simple.

He's 1/2 of the reason I started playing Guild, and a major source of musical inspiration over the years.