Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's her backstory? - F-50R Pickguard

Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    I believe that's a D35 pickguard.
    Don't think so, dreadnought guards had different contours than F-body 'guards so countours wouldn't have matched as in Bonneville's photos.
    Dreadnought 'guards just don't look right on F-bodies.
    Also in general for a given period it would have been the same guard on all the dreadnoughts unless there was a special color reserved for a model, like black on D55's.
    Exceptions would have been very early D25/D35 with an unusual "truncated" p/g:

Can't recall ever seeing anything like that on any other dread models.
    (The 'guard that is, the silking is just their everyday sitka. No joke)
    Last edited by adorshki; 03-19-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I happen to like black pick guards with ebony fret boards, tortoise with rosewood.
    NH 2011 D-40 Standard
    NH 2014 Orpheum 000-12 Fret SH Hog
    NH 2010 F-412
    NH 2010 F-512
    NH 2012 F-30R Standard

Westerly Songbird
    Westerly JF-30-12
    Westerly 1976 F-212
    Westerly 1971 D-25 CH
    Westerly 1982 D-70
    Westerly F4CE
    Westerly 1996 D-26...D for damaged by dummies

Westerly Series OM-140 SB

Ibanez V-302

Madeira A-2...(don't laugh!)

I'd say the guard is dead nuts the same as the one I made for the D4-12, which someone had scraped the original giant guard off off (can't blame them, it's too big, goes all the way to the bridge, it's a turn off for me too), and the guard someone had replaced the oversized original with was this small dread pickguard shape.

I have a good mind for figures, and there's no that many pickguard shapes for these old guitars. I spent about three months studying this back in 2016 I think it was.

Yes, black with Ebony, tortoise with Rosewood ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    I'd say the guard is dead nuts the same as the one I made for the D4-12, which someone had scraped the original giant guard off off (can't blame them, it's too big, goes all the way to the bridge, it's a turn off for me too), and the guard someone had replaced the oversized original with was this small dread pickguard shape.
    I have a good mind for figures, and there's no that many pickguard shapes for these old guitars. I spent about three months studying this back in 2016 I think it was.
    I've got a pretty good eye too, but much better in real life than from pics.
    To be fair though you could be ight, and I can see it's possible Guild may have even used a kind of "universal 'guard" which fit both shapes closely enough for a time, but my comment was based on how different the early F50 is from the '78 Bonneville posted.
    That might well be a kind of "universal" guard on '80's-'90's era guitars.
    But note also that the guard you traced for your D4-12 follows the body edge contour perfectly, and how the 'guards on Richie's G41 look to be in fact F50-style 'guards, they don't mirror the contours nearly as closely, and the G41 was in fact an oversize dread with a 17" lower bout width:

Anyway, I think of the "F body" guards as traditionally a little skinnier in the waste and a little wider by the bridge to better complement the F-body shape.
    Note the 'guard on your D4-12 is pretty equal depth at its widest, on both ends.
    But the more I look at it, the more I think you might be right about the OP'S '84, that might well be a dreadnought 'guard from a later time:
    If it had been properly matched to the fretboard it would have required extensive radiusing to match the rosette correctly, and wouldn't have covered the outline of the original.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback from the Guild community. Best news to hear is that most agree that what is on my guitar won't cause any further damage. I really do appreciate the advice and offer for "Guildedagain" on sending a piece to fill the gap but I think I am going to pass. Thank you though. I am going to leave her as is for now until I find the right person to help me replace it with a black pickguard to match the ebony fretboard. I'm in no rush and I am just so glad I found this guitar. Also, today I got a personal email from Hans Moust about answering questions about my guitar. I usually do not respond to random emails but he looks pretty legit and nice to see others on this site referring to him. In an effort to support and give back to his community, I will get back to him.
    84' F-50r
    Martin DM
    07' Taylor T5 Koa

He's legit

There's a copy of his book on ebay right now
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-Guita...53.m1438.l2649

but gotta warn you, I might be bidding on it
    Last edited by Bonneville88; 03-20-2019 at 12:56 AM.

A black guard is the best bet for that guitar, try to save the one that's on it. Any old Guild guards are hard to find.

Steve, good luck with whatever path you take. Just go slow.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

I just sent Hans an email answering his questions about my guitar. I hope to someday read his book and it sounds like he is working on new one. Also, if I ever take the old pickguard off my guitar I will be sure to save it and pass it on to someone on this forum who may find it useful.
    84' F-50r
    Martin DM
    07' Taylor T5 Koa

Added another

Early '60s, mid-60s, late 70's, and an '11.

Last edited by Bonneville88; 03-21-2019 at 02:05 AM.