"Ol Dread is back at the ranch

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well they cut me loose from the hospital today, 20 lb. lighter and breathing much easier. Now to continue the weight loss regimen! They are allowing me to go back to the gym for therapy, so that's good too.

I also really need to monitor my liquid and salt intake; together they turn me into Sponge Dread. ARRR ya ready, kids? LOL

Anyway, I need to restrict liquids to 1 liter and sodium to 2 grams, daily. The salt one pretty much eliminates all processed foods in order to stick to 2 grams, but that just means we'll eat more fresh stuff. I'm the grocery and chef guy here so I can make it happen.

In order to follow a regimen I need to document it daily, meals, weight, etc. so I made a spreadsheet to keep track of everything.

And like I said, Mrs. Dread (Micki) and my daughter Annalee, both RN's, are gonna be on me like white on rice.

I'm really proud of Annalee for taking the reins on my health care and making stuff happen this week. She's getting me set up with some innovative in-home care kinda stuff for ongoing too.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Geez, Dread, you're surrounded by loving, caring females! Ain't nothin' better! Good luck man. Stick to that diet!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great for you and your "health care" staff. I know you have the self discipline to follow your daughter's advice.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Over here the general rule is to have at least 2 liters pure water per day plus one liter extra for any exercise hour - beverages , coffee and alcohol are different.
Avoid sugar, salt and all them "man-made-materials"

So why are you restricted to only one liter per day?
Isn't there the danger of dehydrating?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Over here the general rule is to have at least 2 liters pure water per day plus one liter extra for any exercise hour - beverages , coffee and alcohol are different.
Avoid sugar, salt and all them "man-made-materials"

So why are you restricted to only one liter per day?
Isn't there the danger of dehydrating?

Good catch Nuuska - Sorry, yes I misspoke: it is two liters, not one.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And like I said, Mrs. Dread (Micki) and my daughter Annalee, both RN's, are gonna be on me like white on rice.
You can show them; eat brown rice!

(Good luck, sounds like you’re in good hands.)

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The salt one pretty much eliminates all processed foods in order to stick to 2 grams, but that just means we'll eat more fresh stuff. I'm the grocery and chef guy here so I can make it happen.

Well, maybe not...
I've been trying to watch my salt for a few years now. I get to thank my Mom's Dad for giving me high blood pressure. There ARE things you can eat. I've been trying to keep my sodium down to 1800mg to 2000mg as well. I lost weight doing this because so many things have salt, you end up needing to eat less to keep under that 2000mg mark. What sort of saves me is the "Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers" There are a good number of them that are at or below 500mg of salt and pretty low on calories too. They have the numbers right on the front of the package, which makes figuring out which ones fit your needs easy.

When eating fresh veggies, like in a salad watch out for the salad dressing. Many are well over 100mg of salt per tablespoon. Heck, mayo is 125 mg per table spoon. So, just go easy on the dressing. One tactic is to dip your empty fork in dressing THEN stab into the veggies.

Watch out for baked goods. It's hard to find a slice of bread under 100mg of sodium. A name brand bagel is about 360mg, so be careful in the bread isle. I find I can get by with a bagel and some low salt spread of some sort for breakfast. Speaking of, most Shredded Wheat is ZERO sodium. If you look carefully, you can find cereals in the 60mg range just not many. Just make sure you check the serving size. It is often just 3/4 of a cup ! A cup of milk is going to set you back 35mg salt. So, really you can do OK with cereal, if you shop wisely.

I'll send you other food ideas, as I think of them.

Good luck on getting in better health ! We could ALL use some of that.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sounds like you’re in good hands, and just as important, you have the right attitude to do what you need to.
Make it happen! Best of luck.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good to hear it, Dread!

I've been trying to watch my salt for a few years now. I get to thank my Mom's Dad for giving me high blood pressure. There ARE things you can eat. I've been trying to keep my sodium down to 1800mg to 2000mg as well.....

Man, you just cut out my whole diet! But no, you're right. I've been lax with my sodium lately; thanks for the reminder!

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good to hear!
I just sent best wishes in the other thread 5 minutes ago, and now I'm surprised to read how well they worked! ;-)

Markus :smile:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hospitals are necessary when you're very ill, but no fun. Home is my favorite!! Don was 230 at one point now he's down to 185. I was a whopping 268 at one point!! Now, 223. And losing. Keep up the good work, amigo!! Congrats on going home!! :encouragement:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Keeping the sodium and sugar counts down is my main aim with food (besides enjoyable nutrition). It's a good thing…keep it up!

-Dave-