Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NAD: Thunderstar Bass Amp

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    OK. Is there a good B&B in the neighborhood? I'l bring the '67 and Newark Street so you have good basses and a mediocre player, if you need one, and you can test the amp with what it was build for and write the Starfire bass comparison.
    LOL - no B&Bs. I promise I'll record some bass through it at least for the review. My daughter plays bass and she's got one, though it's not a Guild. Still, she may have something better to say with a bass than I would, which would probably amount to the intro from Pink Floyd's Money, and if you tell me you don't know that one, I'm going to go sit in the corner and cry.
    '60s: [ SF3 ]
    '70s: [ S70 | 2xS300AD ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | 2xX80 | X82 | X100 | X175 | S270 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ S300AD | Detonator | Liberator Elite | SF4 | D46 | AA ]
    '90s: [ 2x S100 | X170 | X170T | SF3,4,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | DV72 | BHM1 ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    '10s:
    [ 2xTB | SF3 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

Quote Originally Posted by Default View Post
    I'm kind of surprised not to see a pc board in there. . . .

Hello

I see no PC-board - tag board might be correct name.
    PC stands for Printed Circuit

But the innards of that amp chassis look fantastic for the age. I'm sure you will have plenty of joy from it. Those tubes need good cleaning or replacing before they catch fire . . . or is it just rust on tube ?
    Last edited by Nuuska; 03-15-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Yes, I know what a pc board is. Thunder basses and Thunderbirds from the beige tolex period on had pc boards that the preamp sockets were soldered to. This TStar bass doesn't, which is why I made the comment. Every amo seems like a different technique in ampbuilding.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Quote Originally Posted by Default View Post
    Yes, I know what a pc board is.
    I think Nuuska simply missed the word "not" in your original statement. (I'm kind of surprised not to see a pc board in there. . . .)
    Ralf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    LOL - no B&Bs. I promise I'll record some bass through it at least for the review. My daughter plays bass and she's got one, though it's not a Guild. Still, she may have something better to say with a bass than I would, which would probably amount to the intro from Pink Floyd's Money, and if you tell me you don't know that one, I'm going to go sit in the corner and cry.
    Hehe. I could probably crank out Money if I practiced. Glad she's still playing bass. Given her sometime rejection of "Daddy's gear" I look forward to her comments incorporated into your review.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    I think Nuuska simply missed the word "not" in your original statement. (I'm kind of surprised not to see a pc board in there. . . .)
    Ralf

THAT is exactly what happened - I stand corrected - facing corner for doubting . . . I will not shake ashes, because it would be messy.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Surely you could master "The Beat Goes On", "Sunshine Of Your Love", and "Smoke on the Water".
    BUT:
    It's easy to forget that using a Bassman to achieve a "thicker" lead tone was a common trick in the '60's and '70's, the one who comes to mind immediately is John Cippolina of Quicksilver Messenger Service.
    And when I saw the comment yesterday I remembered seeing an interview with a rockabilly player who said the trick to getting rockabilly tone was to plug into a reverb tank and then into a Bassman head.()
    I could swear I saw it on an old (ca '98-'03) Guild webpage from a guy endorsing the X160 but couldn't find it again yesterday.
    For those interested, I was using the Wayback Machine to look for old Guild product specs, there's some interesting Corona-era info in there but it takes time and patience to check each snapshot:
    https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.guildguitars.com
    Last edited by adorshki; 03-15-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Surely you could master "Smoke on the Water".
    You do know that the bass line is not the guitar part in this song right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SEQC_Q5rzQ

Quote Originally Posted by The Guilds of Grot View Post
    You do know that the bass line is not the guitar part in this song right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SEQC_Q5rzQ
    Yep.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Yep.

Just checking because that bassline gets tougher fast!

I wonder if GAD's new T-Star Bass amp will sound like that clip?