1966 Starfire III Review

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Time for a break from all the modern and pointy Guilds with a throw-back this Hoboken classic, the 1966 Starfire III.

Review: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2019/03/13/1966-guild-starfire-iii/

Guild-1966-StarfireIII-TopFull-NE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
All of the pots are 500k Ω except for the tone put on the neck pickup which is 200k Ω. Note that that is not a type – the pot is 200k, and not 250k.

Actually, they held tune fairly well in the short term, o I guess that’s a plus, but that was mostly because they were almost impossible to turn.

Nice review. Too bad about the tuners :)

Possible errors bolded in the quote.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Possible errors bolded in the quote.
Only because I'm getting more and more fed up with 'em every day, those look like classic auto-correct f--ups, for which he has my sympathy, especially since they don't always hi-lite for review.
Opting for a more common word than what the writer has typed without drawing it to their attention is inexcusable.
Sometimes it even appears to be an auto-complete like Google searches.
It's even here on this forum and I haven't figured out how to turn it off.
OK rant over.
(Thanks GAD)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't use autocorrect - ever. Those are all on me.

People find these reviews sometimes by forum searches, and it kind of makes everyone look obnoxious when people see nothing but corrections in a thread. I always welcome the corrections, but please PM them.

Last edited:

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great review! SFII/IIIs from all eras are my favorite and I concur with a lot of your conclusions. Looking forward to your upcoming NS SFIII review, too.

stig

Reaction score
That is absolutely gorgeous. My flagship and all time favorite guitar is a 68 SFII, that I added a Guildsby to, kind of making it a SFIII. Just one of the best sounding, playing and feeling guitars I've ever laid my hands on. Smells good, too.

gilded

Reaction score
Very nice review, GAD. Appreciate the hard work and beautiful pics.

One of my favorite guitars was a '66 SFIII I had several years ago, so I'm very happy hearing your '66 in the ODS100 and Stray Cat settings. You sure get a great sound with your rig!

My neck was 1 11/16th" at the nut, too. Did not know about the 200K potentiometer.

thanks, gilded

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very interesting and informative review. I’m looking forward to the companion pieces of other era SF III’s.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Where does one find Mexican Coca Cola? Besides Mexico...lol

I gots the Nyquil and rum, and I want a new guitar but need a good story for the wifey poo.

As always, great read.!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
"The pickups are original equipment and measure 6.54k Ω at the bridge and 6.53k Ω at the neck…"

This is right in line with most of the '60s Starfires with anti-hums I've had the pleasure of playing & also spec'ing over the years. Thinking about it, I doubt I've come across many SF-IIIs with original tuners. Lotsa "Grover-ing" going on. :)

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Where does one find Mexican Coca Cola? Besides Mexico...lol

I gots the Nyquil and rum, and I want a new guitar but need a good story for the wifey poo.

As always, great read.!

They sell it all over the place around here: Mexican_Coke

dbirchett

Reaction score
Great review. Looking forward to the shootout. (Or is that now the kiss of death that moves it to the back of the to-do list) :highly_amused:

Reaction score
It took me a looooong time to find my '61 SF III ... it's got the original tuners (butterbean Grovers) and DeArmond Dynasonics ... and I would never dream of getting rid of her ... so much so that I bought a Custom Shop M-70 with the updates DeArmonds to go along with her