From the hollers of WV NGD

Cheab

Reaction score
Just arrived and already at the master luthier for a cleaning and checkup. More to come when I get it back! 1971 D-18
1971%20Martin%20D-18-M.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice , love that plain look .:)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My '72 D28 didn't look that cool or I might have kept it. It turns out, since selling that one and buying a '73 D35 I'm a big fan of Mahogany Dreads, they got "bark".

Trading back and forth between the D35 and a '54 D18 at a jam, I'm happy with either guitar. If I switch to a Rosewood dread, I lose presence right where I don't want to, for my style of playing.

This was it here, I was always kind of nervous playing out, like you do when you have a really nice guitar.

large.jpg

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Which holler you talking about? There are a few. Don is from outside Iaeger, WV. You know where that is?? Or Bluefield?? Further away......

Cheab

Reaction score
Which holler you talking about? There are a few. Don is from outside Iaeger, WV. You know where that is?? Or Bluefield?? Further away......

In the Madison holler.......that place is a dreadful hell hole. So depressing..............

Cheab

Reaction score
Seems I posted it in the wrong forum .......again. I'll get my **** together I promise.

Antney

Reaction score
Sweet. My good friend has a 71 d18. Been in his closet for 35 years. The binding is off in some places, the pick guard fell off. The bridge is lifted and it needs a neck reset not to mention the top is split. It’s worthless. Yours is a nice one, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, an old D-18, hard to beat. very simple and elegant all at the same time. congrats!

Cheab

Reaction score
Update................the guitar needs a neck reset. I've never had one done before so I need to research costs and someone in my area that I trust to do it proper. If I don't like the tone, I may sell it as is but if I like the tone it'll be a keeper. Decisions decisions............

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Cheab, I don't know what area you are located in but as a Norm Neck resets can cost anywhere between $500-$1000 on average depending on what other work it needs. It may need a whole new refret or just a fret level and refinish. Pretty much can count on a New Nut and saddle as well to make the reset right. I would ask around about reputable shops to do the work as you really do get what you pay for. It only takes a second for someone who is inexperienced to crack a neck heel during the removal or jack up the finish on the top. A proper Neck reset should include whatever fret work is needed as well as the saddle and string nut and proper finish work to the Nitro finish on your D18. If it is done right it should appear that the neck was never removed from the guitar afterwords including the nitro finish work and there should be plenty of saddle height for another 30-40 years of playing adjustments.

If you are thinking of selling it then here is something to consider. Sell it while it still needs the work in the condition it is in now so the new owner can take it to their preferred Luthier of choice to do the work. This eliminates you having to shell out a lot of money in hopes of getting it back on your sale and also assures that the guitar will not be damaged by an inexperienced Luthier before you sell it which is always a risk. Most True Blue guitar players would rather their Luthier do the work anyway to avoid having to fix any inferior work that may have been performed previously. I know as a collector and player of fine guitars I like other members here on the forum would rather have the work done by my guy instead of relying on someone's work I'm not familiar with. Just a suggestion and I wish you the best with whatever you decide.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the Madison holler.......that place is a dreadful hell hole. So depressing..............
Cheab!!! I asked Don and he said, "Yeah, well you know where I grew up?" Uh huh, "This is way the hell beyond that..... it's worse." So I have to believe you..... he agreed with you!!! LMFAO!!! :frog: