China cabinet humidity test

TBK711

Reaction score
So, I did a little humidity testing in the cabinet over the past few days. The humidity in my guitar room has been holding right at 40%. The humidity in the room with the cabinet is at 30%. I added 4 mason jars with saturated sponges and about a half in of water on Saturday. The humidity in the cabinet is holding at 40%. I wanted to test this before I moved that big beast down a flight of stairs!

... so, the cabinet CAN hold higher humidity than the surrounding area. I expect that it won’t be a full ten points higher in the guitar room; because it has a relatively higher base rate humidity level ..... but maybe just maybe it will be 7 point higher and I will hit 47%. (Note - I fully recognize nothing is that easy - so we shall see).

... and soon enough, the humidity will rise and I will be running my dehumidifiers to keep the room around 47% and the cabinet will just be for display until next winter.

Alas ... this could work out!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Alas ... this could work out!

Yeah, I think so. Once the interior wood of the cabinet gets well humidified, I think it'll hold that humidity and you'll likely not need so many jars. But you can regulate it with the number of jars you put in there. I think you're good to go. Good luck moving that thing down the stairs, though!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A pile of wood is basically like a dessicant bag, it can pull moisture from the air, and it will release it as conditions dictate.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Holding a steady 40% here in the incinerator of a desert I live in is an ongoing and almost impossible battle. Two whole house humidifiers and about $200+ in humidifier wicks and chemicals per year and .... I fight the battle. Better for us humans too. No nose bleeds since I started looking at my residence as a big guitar case. I keep them all out though. It drives Al crazy, but it's a short trip for him. No kids, no dogs, just a super old cat and a parrot. That's all...... did some string changing tonight. The new power peg works great. Wonder where the old one went?? Oh well.......

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Holding a steady 40% here in the incinerator of a desert I live in is an ongoing and almost impossible battle. Two whole house humidifiers and about $200+ in humidifier wicks and chemicals per year and .... I fight the battle. Better for us humans too. No nose bleeds since I started looking at my residence as a big guitar case. I keep them all out though. I drives Al crazy, but it's a short trip for him. No kids, no dogs, just a super old cat and a parrot. That's all...... did some string changing tonight. The new power peg works great. Wonder where the old one went?? Oh well.......

Still looking ? You did mention Parrot ! Lol

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Geez I'm at 30%
The conventional wisdom is that's way too dry:
Ideal's cited at 40-50 or 45-55 depending on whether you believe Taylor or somebody else.
Ironically guitars're said to sound a little better when they're on the drier end of the scale, which makes sense to me.
What's gonna resonate better, wet wood or dry wood?
I even noticed it on the F65ce last weekend, I've been humidifying it, first time I ever did that to a guitar because it's not supposed to be "necessary" in SF Bay Area**:
Sustain was shorter and overtones more muted.
Also used to notice the D25 sounded best in late spring when humidity tends to be at the low end but temps were decent, mid-to-upper '70's.

**I'm trying to get the top at optimum radius for best reading on depth of the bridge lift, and a fringe benefit might be toning down some of the maple jangle.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A pile of wood is basically like a dessicant bag, it can pull moisture from the air, and it will release it as conditions dictate.
Osmosis: Molecules tend to migrate from areas of greater concentration to areas of lesser concentration until equilibrium is reached.
Of course the molecules have to be there to move from one place to the other.
But yeah, once that cabinet's humidified it'll act as a stabilizer.