Hal Blaine Has Left the Building

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yesterday.
Heard it on the local PBS Jaz Station coming in this AM.
KCSM.ORG

Then the morning DJ played "A Hard Day's Night" from Gerry Mulligan's 1965 release If You Can't bet 'Em Join 'Em.
Since I can't find a vid of that track I'll link this instead:

I guess the jazzers of the era hated it but he couldn't-a picked a better drummer for the session.
Go with God, Hal.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of the more astounding things about Mr. Blaine's career, from the Consequence of Sound web article about his passing:

In all, Blaine appeared on over 35,000 recordings over the course of his career. Between 1966 and 1971, he played on six consecutive Grammy Award Record of the Year winners.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I wonder how much he was monetized for all those contributions? Probably only scale.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much he was monetized for all those contributions? Probably only scale.

Think so, but they (the Wrecking Crew) were all working full-time plus during the heyday, so suspect they all made a pretty respectable living.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
One more plug for The Wrecking Crew, the film lovingly put together by Tommy Tedesco's son, Denny.

Magical and magnificent and astounding when you realize how this small group of musicians created the sound of the sixties.

JF-30

Reaction score
The Beach Boys, I mean the Wrecking Crew never sounded better than on Pet Sounds. Hal was a pros pro.

gilded

Reaction score
You never know (which means I don't know), but a lot of the heavy hitters in the studios were getting double and triple scale.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You never know (which means I don't know), but a lot of the heavy hitters in the studios were getting double and triple scale.
He’s talked about making a fortune off his studio work.
And then losing a lot of it.