For dbirchett

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
After thinking about my ill-behaved rant the other day, I realized that I hadn't done any more work on the SFV article because I was quite unhappy with the pics that I had. I had the camera set up for something else and it happened to be the right setup for the blue SFV, so that means there's progress!

It's a very deep blue and to get the grain to pop I need to push the exposure a bit and/or lower the aperture so the depth of field isn't what I'd normally like, but I'm pretty sure no one cares about that but me. :very_drunk:

Guild-StarfireV-Blue-TopFull-NW.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't even know how I'd play that guitar but i know i want it.... that's all. So beautiful...... jeeze.

You play it just like a guitar! A stunning blue guitar. Then you grab the stick and go wheedle-wheedle-wheedle. It's easy!

dbirchett

Reaction score
There are many nice guitars out there but the Westerly Guilds with that stunning maple are in a class unto themselves. Haven't seen any I wouldn't love to have.

Don't worry about your "rant." When you yank on someone's chain, as I certainly did on yours, you expect a little push back. It's all good. Believe me, I've had much worse.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD that is a gorgeous pic!

Thanks! For such a beautiful guitar, it's surprisingly difficult to photograph.

Arch-tops are always problematic because the curves reflect things you don't want to see in a product shot, and since I don't have a real studio, reflections are a constant battle. You may notice that a lot of my guitar shots are taken at a low angle like this. I actually like the way they look, but that "style" is as a result of learning that the low angle minimizes reflections and allows the background to do the work of letting the grain shine through.

It may surprise you to learn that the simple head-on shot of the body is one of the toughest for me to pull off well because of those same limitations. You learn a lot about lighting when you photograph curvy things. :livid: