I HATE this site and all of you!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
.....there are so many cool guitars and people which make it VERY hard to not buy a damn guitar here!!!!!

Welcome back, Cheab. And don't you need a Guild 12-string, too? (I mean from somebody, not from me. Mine are keepers. :tiger:)

Cheab

Reaction score
you should probably just buy this one and feel right as rain:https://reverb.com/item/17927293-1978-guild-d25m-acoustic

this one might not cause too much pain: https://reverb.com/item/19491349-guild-d25m-natural-1974

you could also ask this seller to throw in the rug: https://reverb.com/item/17927293-1978-guild-d25m-acoustic

tumblr_myod82YgrU1rcwa0zo3_250.gif

Cheab

Reaction score
D25 was introduced in '68 as all-hog flatback.
Sometime in '72 the archback was phased in, more than likely both types were made in that year before the transition was complete, and more than likely some all-hog flatbacks were still left over and being shipped out as well.
Guitars ID'd as '73 hog-topped archbacks by far outnumber any other year reported here and in internet listings over the years, so it seems that was the high point production year for all-hog archback.
In '74 a spruce top was phased in on the archbacked D25, but all-hog versions continued to appear at least until '75 and we even have a member who reports owning a '76, the most extreme outlier I know.
We periodically see guitars from '75 and later misidentified as 'hog-topped archbacks because Guild applied a Mahogany colored stain to the spruce tops for a while and called 'em "D25M"
Things are further confused by the fact that some of the all-hog archbacks got labeled as" D25M", too.

You're welcome and at least now you're a properly educated hater.
:glee:

Thank you!

billymox

Reaction score
Well....if you ever get a chance to play a Guild D-55, don't........

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's TwoCorgis fault.....I think he's the one that sold me that guitar and got me hooked to this site. It got so bad I had to leave for awhile in fear of blowing out my bank account lol.

Welcome back Tim! How can we spend your money today?

Well, I agree that twocorgis is dangerous, and I'll be proving it soon!

My pleasure Dave! See Tim, it's not just you...

jedzep

Reaction score
Just keep them both, as they're complimentary guitars. I don't know why people categorize one as bluegrassy or bluesy, for instance. A decent player can control his or her 'sound' to get what they want out of a guitar/song, and it seems you have a good pair to build on.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
better question- what is the difference between a D-35 and a D-40? for any year

Well, the D35 had some plainer appointments than the D40 (D25 style headstock vs. Chesterfield for the D40), and also the D40 had a three piece mahogany/maple neck, where the the D35 had a one piece mahogany neck. All according to Hans's book.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tim, apparently we've let you down some how. So if you can't buck up and BUY A GOD DAMNED GUITAR for us to oogle ..... then what good are ya??? HUH???? I ask you!!!!

I've bought a couple of new ones kinda recently. You weren't here to see 'em but they still count. Not Guilds but they all count brother. At least in my book.

Tell me a story........

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As far as Sandy being dangerous, I'd call him SUPER HELPFUL because without him I wouldn't have my DV-72 OR my Breedlove Concerto E!!! Both for KILLER prices!! If those are your enemies, I'd hate to meet your friends........ :very_drunk:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
As far as Sandy being dangerous, I'd call him SUPER HELPFUL because without him I wouldn't have my DV-72 OR my Breedlove Concerto E!!! Both for KILLER prices!! If those are your enemies, I'd hate to meet your friends........ :very_drunk:

I'll always hook a brother up! :highly_amused:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
better question- what is the difference between a D-35 and a D-40? for any year

Well, the D35 had some plainer appointments than the D40 (D25 style headstock vs. Chesterfield for the D40), and also the D40 had a three piece mahogany/maple neck, where the the D35 had a one piece mahogany neck. All according to Hans's book.

The neck on the D-40 (as well as the D-50) was a 3-pc. mahogany/maple lamination during the '60s only. It was changed to a 1-pc. mahogany neck around 1970. I mentioned it in the D-50 section on page 121 of 'The Guild Guitar Book', but somehow that piece of info was not included in the D-40 section on that same page.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Cheab

Reaction score
Tim, apparently we've let you down some how. So if you can't buck up and BUY A GOD DAMNED GUITAR for us to oogle ..... then what good are ya??? HUH???? I ask you!!!!

I've bought a couple of new ones kinda recently. You weren't here to see 'em but they still count. Not Guilds but they all count brother. At least in my book.

Tell me a story........

Since my last adventure with that dreadful person known as "Sandy", I have bought a few..........I'm a big Les Paul Double cut fan, I bought a 2016 CHerryburst DC and had Bonamassa Skinnerburst pickups installed along with all new pots, switch and jack because the circuit board stuff was junk. I added Skinnerburst pickups to my 2011 DC (My #1), found a beautiful Strat American Deluxe HSS (I am not a Fender guy but this guitar found it's way to me and I really like this one, so to me....it's rare) I am a firm believer in that...... guitars that "find you" end up the best ones. Just like my D-25, Sandy force fed me that guitar and I couldn't be more appreciative so....thanks again Sandy! LOL

Then there's the 71 Martin D-18 that should be arriving in the next day or so. Will it be a gem or a turd.......that is the question. But being able to help a family member out AND keep it out of the pawn shop.....so I'm hoping for some good mojo but we will see. I'll post some pics of my pile soon.

Hello......my name is Tim and I have a problem.................

Cheab

Reaction score
Welcome back Tim! How can we spend your money today?

My pleasure Dave! See Tim, it's not just you...

Good to be back! Show me an old Guild is how to spend my money but you already know that lol. Your issue now is that the wife has veto power Sandy!

Oh I know it's not just me......you are all a bunch of addicts! That's why I hate you all.....bunch of damn enablers!!!! :)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good to be back! Show me an old Guild is how to spend my money but you already know that lol. Your issue now is that the wife has veto power Sandy!

Oh I know it's not just me......you are all a bunch of addicts! That's why I hate you all.....bunch of damn enablers!!!! :)

:) And proud of it, too! :) Cheab, did you see the T-shirts??? (thanks, Ralf) :) :)