Thread: Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra

Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra

Here's a music video from 1941. Really hep man! The guitarist is playing a 1930s Epiphone Century. Check out the dancing couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0SP...89a0w9-BX5m5hE
    Guiilds:
    Hoboken archtops:1963 A-500 B (recently installed DeArmond 1100), 1966 Artist Award SB

Epiphones:
    1934 Royal (walnut back/sides) 1947 Broadway/DeArmond 1000, 1954 Zephyr Regent/ "New York" pup

Amp:
    Rivera Jazz Suprema 55 Ruby, the ultimate jazz amp!

Nice vid, Rich.

That Epiphone looks like a Deluxe Model to me. It's hard to see much detail, but the Epi Tailpiece and the Pickguard look like Deluxe model equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '69-70 Thunderstar Combo, '70 Superstar Combo

Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    Nice vid, Rich.

That Epiphone looks like a Deluxe Model to me. It's hard to see much detail, but the Epi Tailpiece and the Pickguard look like Deluxe model equipment.
    Gilded,
    You're absolutely right...my bad.
    Guiilds:
    Hoboken archtops:1963 A-500 B (recently installed DeArmond 1100), 1966 Artist Award SB

Epiphones:
    1934 Royal (walnut back/sides) 1947 Broadway/DeArmond 1000, 1954 Zephyr Regent/ "New York" pup

Amp:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cohen View Post
    Gilded,
    You're absolutely right...my bad.
    No bad. it's an absolutely reasonable deduction to think it was a Century. Plus, the angle of the guitar shots makes it hard to see what the inlays are on the neck and the headstock.

I have owned a few Epiphones in my time; '39 or '40 DeLuxe, '50s Emperor Regent (cutaway), '50s zephyr deluxe regent, a couple of Triumph Regents and a '44 Broadway. And that's the stuff I remember!

'66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '69-70 Thunderstar Combo, '70 Superstar Combo

Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    No bad. it's an absolutely reasonable deduction to think it was a Century. Plus, the angle of the guitar shots makes it hard to see what the inlays are on the neck and the headstock.

I have owned a few Epiphones in my time; '39 or '40 DeLuxe, '50s Emperor Regent (cutaway), '50s zephyr deluxe regent, a couple of Triumph Regents and a '44 Broadway. And that's the stuff I remember!
    How did you like that 50's Zephyr Deluxe Regent? I enjoy playing my '54 Zephyr Regent. The New York pup is kind of special IMO. The Zephyr Deluxe Regent had two New York pups, right?
    Guiilds:

Epiphones:

Amp:

I liked those pickups, but never got entirely comfortable with them.

I know that some of the old Swing guys liked them, saying that NY Epi pickup amplified sound was closer to the 'real sound' of guitars. I think they were saying that those pickups didn't color the sound like Gibson P90s did.