Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rich Cohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,012

    Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orchestra

    Here's a music video from 1941. Really hep man! The guitarist is playing a 1930s Epiphone Century. Check out the dancing couple.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0SP...89a0w9-BX5m5hE
    Guiilds:
    Hoboken archtops:1963 A-500 B (recently installed DeArmond 1100), 1966 Artist Award SB

    Epiphones:
    1934 Royal (walnut back/sides) 1947 Broadway/DeArmond 1000, 1954 Zephyr Regent/ "New York" pup

    Amp:
    Rivera Jazz Suprema 55 Ruby, the ultimate jazz amp!

  2. #2
    Nice vid, Rich.

    That Epiphone looks like a Deluxe Model to me. It's hard to see much detail, but the Epi Tailpiece and the Pickguard look like Deluxe model equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

    And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '69-70 Thunderstar Combo, '70 Superstar Combo

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rich Cohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    Nice vid, Rich.

    That Epiphone looks like a Deluxe Model to me. It's hard to see much detail, but the Epi Tailpiece and the Pickguard look like Deluxe model equipment.
    Gilded,
    You're absolutely right...my bad.
    Guiilds:
    Hoboken archtops:1963 A-500 B (recently installed DeArmond 1100), 1966 Artist Award SB

    Epiphones:
    1934 Royal (walnut back/sides) 1947 Broadway/DeArmond 1000, 1954 Zephyr Regent/ "New York" pup

    Amp:
    Rivera Jazz Suprema 55 Ruby, the ultimate jazz amp!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cohen View Post
    Gilded,
    You're absolutely right...my bad.
    No bad. it's an absolutely reasonable deduction to think it was a Century. Plus, the angle of the guitar shots makes it hard to see what the inlays are on the neck and the headstock.

    I have owned a few Epiphones in my time; '39 or '40 DeLuxe, '50s Emperor Regent (cutaway), '50s zephyr deluxe regent, a couple of Triumph Regents and a '44 Broadway. And that's the stuff I remember!
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

    And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '69-70 Thunderstar Combo, '70 Superstar Combo

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rich Cohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    No bad. it's an absolutely reasonable deduction to think it was a Century. Plus, the angle of the guitar shots makes it hard to see what the inlays are on the neck and the headstock.

    I have owned a few Epiphones in my time; '39 or '40 DeLuxe, '50s Emperor Regent (cutaway), '50s zephyr deluxe regent, a couple of Triumph Regents and a '44 Broadway. And that's the stuff I remember!
    How did you like that 50's Zephyr Deluxe Regent? I enjoy playing my '54 Zephyr Regent. The New York pup is kind of special IMO. The Zephyr Deluxe Regent had two New York pups, right?
    Guiilds:
    Hoboken archtops:1963 A-500 B (recently installed DeArmond 1100), 1966 Artist Award SB

    Epiphones:
    1934 Royal (walnut back/sides) 1947 Broadway/DeArmond 1000, 1954 Zephyr Regent/ "New York" pup

    Amp:
    Rivera Jazz Suprema 55 Ruby, the ultimate jazz amp!

  6. #6
    I liked those pickups, but never got entirely comfortable with them.

    I know that some of the old Swing guys liked them, saying that NY Epi pickup amplified sound was closer to the 'real sound' of guitars. I think they were saying that those pickups didn't color the sound like Gibson P90s did.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

    And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '69-70 Thunderstar Combo, '70 Superstar Combo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •