Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: . . . and the operator says forty cents more for next three minutes . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    And NJ got 201 because we invented the thing. :) Bell Labs was in Murray Hill NJ right down the street from where my dad worked.
    Ha! To drift further afield, Bell Labs had a couple of guys who discovered the cosmic microwave background radiation (and got the Nobel Prize for it), thus nailing shut the coffin of Hoyle, et al's steady state theory and providing the strongest support for the Big Bang, which continues today as the best explanation for the evolution of our universe.

Ten or twenty billion years ago*, something happened -- the Big Bang, the event that began our universe. Why it happened is the greatest mystery we know. That it happened is reasonably clear. - Carl Sagan
    1991 Guild JF30-12 Ltd. Ed. Wood Grain Blue
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

When the hackers convention came to Mandalay Bay every year, I'd leave my phone locked in my truck. Too many servers and bartenders ended up looking a photos from their phones on a customers phone with them saying, "Nice boobs!" Not that I had any boob pics but..... you know what i mean.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    Back in the day, at least in the computer manufacturing business, a "hack" was an elegant, temporary work-around to a problem. The term "kludge" was probably just an industry-insider thing, but that was the awful, ugly, temporary work-around. As far as I know, there never was a "kludger" term for what ultimately became the meaning of "hacker" (as in negative connotations). A "hack" was not a negative thing. Creative hacking was something highly prized back in the day of discrete circuitry. Kludges were frowned upon unless they were *extremely* temporary.
    Right-o. A hack was something you could take pride in. A kludge is still a quick & dirty thing to be got rid of ASAP…except when you're moved off a project before you can clean it up and it remains in place for ages, annoying you all over again every time you think of it. :)

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Here's a random question that I was thinking about because of this thread:

On your rotary dial, did you take your finger out of the hole after every number you dialed, or let it "ride"?

I always let my finger ride for the lower numbers, but took it out for dialing a higher number - I just couldn't hang on when dialing "0"...

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

I took my finger off.

BUT - back to original - was the person listening your call and taking time or was there some automated clock that alarmed some poor clerk to tell "more money" - and was the "more money paid - signal" then approved and whatever.

Back here in 50-60:s when we made a "long-distance-call" - those were the ones that were outside our own region pre-number ( is that a correct expression ? ) - anyway - we had to dial state central and ask them to connect us to number so&so - then wait - wait - wait - until somebody in the other end answered - this could take hours if nobody was home - I guess that they tried every so many minutes again . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-p_Wa13fk8
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Ha! To drift further afield, Bell Labs had a couple of guys who discovered the cosmic microwave background radiation (and got the Nobel Prize for it), thus nailing shut the coffin of Hoyle, et al's steady state theory and providing the strongest support for the Big Bang, which continues today as the best explanation for the evolution of our universe.

Just to clarify, this took place at one of the two Bell Lab Holmdel locations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmdel_Horn_Antenna

With hacker being the "positive" term, "cracker" was the negative term that never sort of caught on.

A great read on all of this from the early days is Clifford Stoll's The Cukoo's Egg: The_Cuckoo's_Egg
    '60s: [ SF3 ]
    '70s: [ S70 | 2x S300AD ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | 2x X80 | X82 | X100 | S270 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ S300AD | Detonator | Liberator Elite | SF4 | D46 | AA ]
    '90s: [ 2x S100 | X170 | X170T | SF3,4,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | DV72 | BHM1 ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    '10s:
    [ 2xTB | SF3 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuska View Post
    I took my finger off.

BUT - back to original - was the person listening your call and taking time or was there some automated clock that alarmed some poor clerk to tell "more money" - and was the "more money paid - signal" then approved and whatever.

Back here in 50-60:s when we made a "long-distance-call" - those were the ones that were outside our own region pre-number ( is that a correct expression ? ) - anyway - we had to dial state central and ask them to connect us to number so&so - then wait - wait - wait - until somebody in the other end answered - this could take hours if nobody was home - I guess that they tried every so many minutes again . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-p_Wa13fk8

I'm not sure about the mechanics of the pay phone timing out, but in the old OLD days you'd have to pick up the phone and have the operator ask you "number please?" In the US the numbers are broken out as follows:

(area code) exchange (NXX) - number. Thus, (201) 647-1776. Before those days, you would pick up the phone and say something like PLainfield 7, 1234. That would mean 757-1234 because the P is on the 7 and the L is on the 5. It was really quite a logical system but it just didn't scale along with population growth. If you were within the exchange area already, you could just say 1234. IF it was a really small town you could just say, "Mary, please". :)

As a fun aside, my wife's grandmother had one of the first phones in her town and her number was xxx-0013 because they doled them out in order. I always thought that was cool.

BTW, all of the logic of the system was pretty much destroyed when people sued to keep their cell phone numbers between carriers. That gets far deeper into how the numbers are routed, but as someone who designs large schemes of things regularly, that was a sad day for me, even though I've reaped the rewards of number portability.

Where it got really fun was with something called party lines where everyone on the street would share a single phone circuit. The phone would ring in everyone's house, but it would ring once for the first house, twice for the second house, and so-on. You could pick up the phone in your house and listen to people in other houses talking. It was a gossip gold-mind.
    '60s: [ SF3 ]
    '70s: [ S70 | 2x S300AD ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | 2x X80 | X82 | X100 | S270 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ S300AD | Detonator | Liberator Elite | SF4 | D46 | AA ]
    '90s: [ 2x S100 | X170 | X170T | SF3,4,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | DV72 | BHM1 ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    '10s:
    [ 2xTB | SF3 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Here's a random question that I was thinking about because of this thread:

On your rotary dial, did you take your finger out of the hole after every number you dialed, or let it "ride"?

I always let my finger ride for the lower numbers, but took it out for dialing a higher number - I just couldn't hang on when dialing "0"...

walrus
    Took my finger off
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"
    2011 Chris Bozung CB "45" Brazilian Rosewood Dread

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Where it got really fun was with something called party lines where everyone on the street would share a single phone circuit. The phone would ring in everyone's house, but it would ring once for the first house, twice for the second house, and so-on. You could pick up the phone in your house and listen to people in other houses talking. It was a gossip gold-mind.
    There are great old videos about it!

Ralf