Substituting P90 dogears for Little Buckers

dbirchett

Reaction score
Was there a diagram that showed the cutouts and screw holes so that I could see how close they would come to covering the cutout?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
http://www.gad.net/Blog/2018/03/09/guild-anti-hum-lb1-mini-humbucker-pickups/

Guild-Antihum-LB1-Measurements.png

Guild-Antihum-LB1-Ring-Measurements-1.png

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So WHEN are you going to go metric???

At least you could use same denominator . . .

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The measurements are based on the AntiHum which came from a time when metric didn’t exist in the US. :)

I usually do nclude metric when I write, though. I should update those.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I found one for p90s. It looks like they would entirely cover the Little Bucker footprint.

dog_ear_footprint.jpg

In looking more closely at the diagrams it may be a little tight North and South.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
So WHEN are you going to go metric???

At least you could use same denominator . . .

Also, when using fractions for measuring you never use the same denominator. I know that seems stupid (probably because it is), but the idea that 5/8" is larger then 1/2" which is larger than 15/32" is just something that we all had to deal with in the '70s so it's now second nature, sadly.

I remember being in school and after learning all the fraction nonsense, THEN being taught decimals and metric and I was absolutely floored that we weren't just doing that the whole time. That would have probably been around 1973 or so. It would probably be another 10 years before the US started selling soda on 2L bottles and there was a damn-near revolt over that!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

When first visiting Us in 1975 - I remember seeing a sign on 494 in Bloomington - "Think Metric - One Mile = 1609 Meters" - remember thinking "Oh yeah - from now on all americans just simply learn to multiply and divide by 1,609 in their dreams..." Back then many suggested that if you would convert your footoblong ( somehow you call it a ball ) field yard lines to meter lines - the whole nation would learn metrics in one season or quicker.

I can deal with fraction inches and different denominators - it just takes a bit more time - but I feel sorry for those, who are not mathematically skilled.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

When first visiting Us in 1975 - I remember seeing a sign on 494 in Bloomington - "Think Metric - One Mile = 1609 Meters" - remember thinking "Oh yeah - from now on all americans just simply learn to multiply and divide by 1,609 in their dreams..." Back then many suggested that if you would convert your footoblong ( somehow you call it a ball ) field yard lines to meter lines - the whole nation would learn metrics in one season or quicker.

I can deal with fraction inches and different denominators - it just takes a bit more time - but I feel sorry for those, who are not mathematically skilled.

There's a fair bit of truth in saying that converting sports to metric would have the whole country converted in no time.

Having spent a fair bit of time in the UK, I think it's funny that they still order beer in pints.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it's funny that they still order beer in pints.
Or body weight in stone e.g., "11 stone 4" (11 stones and 4 pounds), rather than "72 kilograms", or "158 pounds" as in the U.S. !
Ralf

swiveltung

Reaction score
I'm going metric when they make it all 10 base; Time=10 hour days, 10 months a year, Pi now 10........ :smilet-digitalpoint

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I got used to thinking metric via photography: focal lengths typically measured in millimeters, same for smaller image frame sizes (36x24mm, etc.), focus distances on lenses given in both meters and feet. Then I lived in the Middle East for 18 months and not only went fully metric but also switched to a 24-hour clock. Last week a friend and I made dinner plans via texting, and I answered her "When do you want to meet up?" with "How's 18:30 sound?" Her response: "What's that in English?!" (She was joking.) :)

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got used to thinking metric via photography: focal lengths typically measured in millimeters, same for smaller image frame sizes (36x24mm, etc.), focus distances on lenses given in both meters and feet. Then I lived in the Middle East for 18 months and not only went fully metric but also switched to a 24-hour clock. Last week a friend and I made dinner plans via texting, and I answered her "When do you want to meet up?" with "How's 18:30 sound?" Her response: "What's that in English?!" (She was joking.) :)

-Dave-

The 24-hour clock (military time as we tend to call it in the US) is another thing that just makes SO much more sense to me. Since I program, 24-hour time is a must, so I can go back and forth at will, and all of the clocks in my office are in 24-hour time.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Or body weight in stone e.g., "11 stone 4" (11 stones and 4 pounds), rather than "72 kilograms", or "158 pounds" as in the U.S. !
Ralf

That's one that's always flummoxed me. After reading up on the change to decimal money in the UK, I'm amazed anyone survived that one. I do have a collection of real sixpence for my Brian May experiments, though.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I'm going metric when they make it all 10 base; Time=10 hour days, 10 months a year, Pi now 10........ :smilet-digitalpoint

I think that was actually done during the French revolution and there are still some decimal clocks about.

That's one that's always flummoxed me. After reading up on the change to decimal money in the UK, I'm amazed anyone survived that one. I do have a collection of real sixpence for my Brian May experiments, though.

We're completely inconsistent. While all food is now in metric, it's often in imperial equivalents. E.g. a standard packet of sausages is 454g equivalent to 1lb. While we (decreasingly) weigh ourselves in stone, drink pints and have miles on our road signs, we have no education in the imperial system at all so I was never taught how many feet to a mile.

We measure our spirits in gills. A pub measure is a 1/4 gill

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think that was actually done during the French revolution and there are still some decimal clocks about.

We're completely inconsistent. While all food is now in metric, it's often in imperial equivalents. E.g. a standard packet of sausages is 454g equivalent to 1lb. While we (decreasingly) weigh ourselves in stone, drink pints and have miles on our road signs, we have no education in the imperial system at all so I was never taught how many feet to a mile.

We measure our spirits in gills. A pub measure is a 1/4 gill
A bit out of date now. Spirits are now "either 25ml and multiples of 25ml, or 35ml and multiples of 35ml (not both on the same premises)". Got that from weights and measures law :)

parker_knoll

Reaction score
A bit out of date now. Spirits are now "either 25ml and multiples of 25ml, or 35ml and multiples of 35ml (not both on the same premises)". Got that from weights and measures law :)

creeping metricisation, hence Brexit (actually I don't think that's really an issue)

dbirchett

Reaction score
Don't have anything to convert yet but in my mind I can see either a Starfire III or a Capri.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
One option would be a TV Jones Filtertron-size P90 (or the other options). It will go in an LB-1 surround with a little persuasion.