A Bluegrass Special D-50

383roller

Reaction score
Hey all, I figured I would show off my Guild here to the folks that would appreciate it most. It's a 1965 Bluegrass Special D-50.

I must admit I've never seen strum marks like this so it is no doubt special. And it came with a bonus sound hole for that airy tone ;), it sounds quite good with a strong mid and high range for Brazilian. Maybe it's that extra hole.
Anyhow, the neck is not slim like others I've had and just makes you want to finger pick it. The action is low so it plays with ease but with no lack of volume, someone played the heck out of this thing and for good reason.

I'm very impressed with the guitar overall and can't put it down. I've owned a 68 and two 69s in the past and they went on their way.

It came with the original case that has grey/purple lining, it coincides with the condition of the guitar.
Hans told me just over a couple hundred were made over the first few years, not too many around.

izxbfd.jpg

11j3se8.jpg

Love to hear some comments and see others.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very cool!!!! If you ever decide to sell it add a few hundred for those very cool marks on the soundboard. They just kind of go well with this guitar. I have a 1964. I bought it knowing it was a trainwreck. It's up at my local Luthier now. He has the neck off, it needs new frets and some restoration as well. Won't be a thing of beauty when completed but like yours, it will look very cool I do believe.

Thanks for sharing.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mojo to spare lol ya know folks pay good money for new guitars that look like that , beat they font sound near as good .😃

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
In this case, "Made To Be Flayed," LOL.

It is apparent that the top on that guitar contributes also to the percussion.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wow, sweet find. congrats and enjoy!

was the first owner right handed or left handed? both?

Grassdog

Reaction score
Congrats, I really like that one. I'll bet it sounds amazing. A life well lived for that guitar and it has more to give. Enjoy.

pancho400cid

Reaction score
Beautiful warhorse!

Looks like the previous owner was a mountain lion.....

Love it, and bet it sounds awesome.

Antney

Reaction score
Is it me or is the direction of those claw marks opposite of what you’d expect? Nice guitar though

TBK711

Reaction score
Looks like that guitar is a life saver!! The bullet entered but no exit wound. Probably saved the life of the grizzly bear who was playing it.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like that guitar is a life saver!! The bullet entered but no exit wound. Probably saved the life of the grizzly bear who was playing it.

Now it's a sound port for the listeners . Little listeners . Lol

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is it me or is the direction of those claw marks opposite of what you’d expect? Nice guitar though
Odd, isn't it? Like a left handed guitar player played it! Also the totally gone finish between bridge and pickguard is odd as with those marks the player would never reach that area. So maybe two different players played that guitar hard! Cool in any way!
The aditional hole might be a hole for a pot when a pickup was installed.
Ralf