Vintage Guitars with Non-Original Cases

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's your opinion on vintage guitars with non-original cases? The collector in me likes to see all-original, but as an example, I have a '66 Starfire III that's in great condition but it's in one of the terrible (IMO) almost chipboard cases that were the cheap option of the day if you didn't want to pay for a real hardshell case.

To properly protect the guitar, I'm tempted to buy a Newark Street TKL case that fits it perfectly, but then I'll have an extra useless case. Also, I hate the idea of separating the case from the guitar when they've been together for over 50 years.

What say you?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If the case is not protecting the guitar as it should, I have no trouble replacing the case. Or, if the vintage case smells musty, etc., and it cannot be removed, I would absolutely replace it rather than put the guitar in there.

walrus

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I always prefer the original case if possible. Even if it's in rough shape I'd prefer it. If it's beyond hope then I have no problem picking a replacement case up be it new or used.

I don't consider myself a collector but I think original case is really important to those that think they are. I also think it helps if you ever resell a guitar and on a rare guitar I'd say actually adds value or at least helps it to sell at whatever the generally accepted price is.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Depends - if it is going to stay at home, then no case is needed, if you have stands or hangers or . . .

If you go gigging with it - then get best possible case for it.

The S-60D I recently acquired has a generic case that is too small and too shallow - fortunately good for that one green guitar I designed 30-40 years ago . . . not that it needs any case either. When I go out to play like I did tonight, it is acoustic or Songbird - they all have good cases.

If you think that someday you might sell it, then perhaps getting a new good case and keeping the old one might be a good solution - supposing you have the space. And if you ever sell it, then ask the buyer, if he/she wants the new case, too. The old original case should be automatically included.

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I prefer to have the OHSC, but it's not a deal breaker for buying guitar. However, at some point, my OCD kicks in and I feel the need to track down a OHSC or equivalent. Case in point (pun intended) - my X-160 came in a '90s Guild dread-size case and I need to find a proper fitting case (I have a WTB post about it). In the old days, I would occasionally buy a guitar just to get its case for one in my collection, but I don't consider that option anymore.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I always upgrade original knackered and/or chipboard cases with sturdy modern versions. I generally keep the originals too…in storage. I've repaired a few unique cases, like the case-with-amp one of my Dano-made Silvertones came in…had to rivet on a replacement handle. Which reminds me: my '71 S-100's rectangular case needs a handle repair job too, and the machine shop I once had access to is gone.

-Dave-

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The job of a case is to protect the guitar at rest and in transit. If the original case does not do that then buy something that does so and fits well. If you can afford the time and space to keep the original case then do so or sell the case only to someone else. But if the original is not doing its protection job then there should be no separation anxiety.

bobouz

Reaction score
Original cases mean very little to me - it's the guitar I'm after.

My preference is thermoplastic SKB-type cases to minimize the possibility of mildew issues impacting the guitar. If a guitar comes with an odd smelling wooden case, it gets replaced almost immediately, and I sell the wooden original to a music store that buys used equipment.

geoguy

Reaction score
I'm with Nuuska, and anyone else who suggested keeping the original case for "show", so to speak, and using a new case for better protection.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i hardly ever see the original case when i looking on reverb or on CL local to me.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Old cases are supposed to smell musty. To some, it's like perfume... The worst thing anyone can do to a vintage case is spray the with something toxic like Febreze to fix something that isn't broken. The best guitars have that same musty aged smell emanating from their inside while you play, because they are old.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was so ignorant when i bought my 1994 D65S and I specified a case in the killer price. However, I was too much of a newbie to know there was such a thing as "original' i.e., Guild branded case, so I got a decent but much lesser case. Didn't know until many year later to be upset. however, it's protected the guitar all these years and I do have a Guild original case for my DV-72 of the same year. I try not to think about it and my guitars seldom leave the house so..... it's just something I have to get used to. If I let my OCD run wild I'd hate my life and so..... I try to stay calm. Try being the operative word, here...... :livid:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was so ignorant when i bought my 1994 D65S and I specified a case in the killer price. However, I was too much of a newbie to know there was such a thing as "original' i.e., Guild branded case, so I got a decent but much lesser case. Didn't know until many year later to be upset. however, it's protected the guitar all these years

Same for me with my D64. It came with a non-original case, but I had no idea it was non-original! Still in it safely today, and the case still has a nice "wood" smell!

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I've never really considered myself a collector, so case is all about function to me. Couldn't care less about non-original case, in fact, I'd much rather have a proper case (modern) than a beat original.