D55 arrived

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just don’t think this thing has been played much at all. Needs strings - but it is awesome.
Ya done good!!
Y'know there was a while there during the dotcom boom when folks were just treating themselves to stuff like this, "I think I want to learn how to play guitar so I'll buy a really nice one", and then discovering it was a whole lot harder than they expected......

A very late (post '97) Westerly by the s/n.
There may be a date stamp visible on the heelblock, on one of the beveled edges, but they did stop putting 'em there in '98 or '99, can't recall.
And no, Elixirs were never original strings on Guilds.
Those were shipped with Guild L350's.
If desired you can duplicate those with D'Addario EJ-16 uncoated pb lights .012-.053, and sub in an .025 single, a PB025.
D'Addario was the maker of Guild's L350's at that time.

You just let us know if it doesn't scratch that ear itch you've had for all these years, I'm sure somebody'll be willing to send out a hauler to take it off your hands, might even give you a break on towing cost.

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a "Closet Classic" and then some. It's like new, some would say, not even broke in...

And then a guitar that comes in the mail with action like that? I don't even have a guitar with action like that.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a "Closet Classic" and then some. It's like new, some would say, not even broke in...
And then a guitar that comes in the mail with action like that? I don't even have a guitar with action like that.

All 3 of mine came out of the box set up to factory spec, and that's been reported by other new owners as well.
They didn't just string 'em up and box 'em, they set 'em up there, too.
Published spec from '97-early New Hartford (2011, I think?, when the website was renovated and this article was removed) was 5.5-6/64ths low E, 4.5-5/6fths high E.:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060507113927/http://www.guildguitars.com/support/setup.php

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations, TK. Super minty! Glad you're thrilled!

Take care of that baby.

Last edited:

TBK711

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

.... been working it out. Just feels so great to play. Been sitting alone bonding with it. I know you guys know the feeling.

Grassdog

Reaction score
Congrats on your Westerly D-55. That's a great find. Sounds like Christmas morning came in March for you.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Big Time congrats on a Great looking D55! Enjoy your bonding time with it. You know it is a keeper when you lose track of time playing it right off the bat. It almost feels to me like the good ones try to play themselves as much as you do. Really happy for you.

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big Time congrats on a Great looking D55! Enjoy your bonding time with it. You know it is a keeper when you lose track of time playing it right off the bat. It almost feels to me like the good ones try to play themselves as much as you do. Really happy for you.

TX
That's the quote of the day! Couldn't agree more.

geoguy

Reaction score
Congrats, it looks great!

(I was going to post a couple of your photos here, but they are huge)