Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Mystery Guild, prepare for the weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    This is the eBay '71, serial 57208. The huge grain nearly is the same as on mine, although mine is serial 612### (but there is another number stamped below, in blue, below the Westerly logo, what does this mean?)
    That's the date the guitar was completed, which is a year later than the serial number suggest. It all makes sense when you look at the details.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl

Wow, thx Hans ;-)

The # is 72102, would that be 1972, 10th week, 2nd month?

My '75 F-30 (bought new - ordered from the factory) has similar "striping" to the grain on the top. I always figured the less expensive instruments got the "less pretty and perfect" wood.
    Lonesome Picker
    1971 F112, 1975 F30, 1989 GF55, 1971 F412
    Rickenbacker 360-12v64, Gretsch 6122 Country Classic 62, Gretsch 6128TSP Duojet

Wow, thx Hans ;-)

The # is 72102, would that be 1972, 10th week, 2nd month?
    No, it's October 2nd, 1972, which as I suspected, is about a year later than the serial number suggests; not unusual during that particular period.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thx Hans,

So it's year, month and and day of the week.

I was afraid it was one of those reject resale numbers, I seem to remember reading about guitars with defects sold elsewhere with other numbers added.

Serial number tag with finish date

F112 stamped neck bock

Quote Originally Posted by lonesome picker View Post
    My '75 F-30 (bought new - ordered from the factory) has similar "striping" to the grain on the top. I always figured the less expensive instruments got the "less pretty and perfect" wood.
    I think the striping is neat?

The striping is striking, really stands out, unusual.

Impressive collection of F Guilds btw, what is the F30 like?

So it's year, month and and day of the week.

Serial number tag with finish date

Again no! It's year, month and day of the month!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hans scares me ! 🤐☠️

Sorry, meant day of the month ;-)

Suffering from Guild delirium...

Speaking of "nut jobs", here's a couple shots of that.

Very 3D edge of the Rosewood board, right there where you see it, a lot. This was the old nut, sort of cobbled in there with lots of glue, ick... and turned out it was sitting on two layers of paper, figured that wasn't from Guild and took it down to the wood. I think it was white glue, not crazy glue because it would get soft with water, but anyway, a nightmare to scrape on such a delicate area. I could tell that the factory edge was still on the board and I wanted that to stay 100% the same.

End of Rosewood board, painstakingly scraped of old glue, as straight and true as when it was cut. I tried to do the bone nut too fast, got bored using a fence sanding it down (slows you down), looked at it and it was seriously messed up without a lot left to remove, yikes!

Got it straight just in time to drop in even though I thought it was ruined, too many hours on the job trying to finish before bed.

Lowest nut I've ever seen on a guitar, still had clearance and it plays like a dream, as soon as I started tensioning the A and D strings, I could tell the guitar was going to be a lot louder and clearer, like removing cotton balls from your ears... It sounded so amazingly good, who knew plastic nuts could be this bad?

So, I thought I'd blown the nut job (haste makes waste) but it's nearly the most perfect one I've ever done, I'm still shaking my head, usually Murphy's got more to say about things like this...

It was weird, like I couldn't screw it up.

Which got me thinking, this thing's like Christine... You can't screw it up, and it somehow rebuilding itself, even with goofball here at the controls.

Last edited by Guildedagain; 03-18-2019 at 03:18 AM.

This 24" rule is 3/16" thick, aluminum, weighs 1lb, stands by itself, price of admission, $20. Awesome.
    Awesome piece for the guitar tech in your life ;-)

Yes it is, and thanks to your tip I just bought one. They are very nice and will allow me to take the obligatory neck angle photos without resorting to holding the ruler.

Sands Level & Tool page here. SWMBO is an accomplished seamstress and furniture upholsterer - she took one look at their catalog and went "Ooooo, I want that. And that! And that, too!"
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - a nephew's)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, Qvart) FOR SALE
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, Neal) FOR SALE
    '94 D-6 FOR SALE
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R (ex-Killdeer43, Jeffcoop,) FOR SALE
    GAD-30 (ex-Killdeer43, Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger) FOR SALE
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought