"It's a Guild"!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guy that calls himself a Shop has a 1974 F20 on the Verb for quite a lot of money, and zip about anything beyond a scratch. No mention of wear tear action playability intonation anything.

Been looking at it a while, it's been up 7 months, so I holler saying I need to know certain things before I can even think about thinking about a purchase, and this is what happened.

Me, after explaining my now somewhat longtime interest in this guitar and my inability to move forward without more information.

Need to know exact string height at 12th fret, under both high and low E strings, nut width, fret wear in the cowboy chord area, is the top bellying around the bridge or is it flat?

Him

Your the only guy I ever spoke to about the guitar that needs all this BS.. Its a Guild, specs are in the Guild Guitar Book - if you must have these.

His words nothing touched up.

I thought dang that's rude ( -:) and "I'll report him" to Reverb, for "rudeness", as if they would care?

So instead I was like even though "Your the only guy" who's ever been this rude (and supposedly naive) about a 45 year old acoustic guitar they were asking a lot of money for, I'm going to make you a celebrity today ;-))

If only I hung out on more forums I could really make a lot of guy's day with this one, and you got to admire his admiration for Guilds. Do feel free to pass it around anywhere you like. I think this really deserves some attention, lol. Is it me, or is this a common response you've run into before? Freakin priceless...

"It's a Guild"

That's all you need to know ;-)))

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Rude and selfish-price may not be only reason "It's a Guild" is still for sale.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Could be one of those Guilds for the "honey, I tried to sell it" price.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Your the only guy I ever spoke to about the guitar that needs all this BS.. Its a Guild, specs are in the Guild Guitar Book - if you must have these."

He is totally lying. Everyone asks him that.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Your the only guy I ever spoke to about the guitar that needs all this BS.. Its a Guild, specs are in the Guild Guitar Book - if you must have these."

He is totally lying. Everyone asks him that.

I'd go with this. For real, any seller who just flat out refuses to give out info must be considered highly suspect. In his defense, he wrote me back ;-)

I'll get back with u on SOME of this stuff..

I love this guy, he's too funny, LOL!

Me

I wouldn't buy this guitar from you if I won the Lotto ;-)

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You mean you didn’t see the section of specs on fret wear and bellying in Hans’ book?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've run into a few sellers similar to this. I never go beyond the 1st question if I ever get a response like that. it's just not worth any effort on my part. It's not like you can't find a vintage F 20 on the various sites. I wouldn't call them rare or hard to find.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The part of my brain that I can usually ignore is telling me: "Let's get EVERYBODY on LTG to ask him for string height measurements! And neck-angle photos, too!!!"

[J.K.]

Reaction score
It's a unique form of idiocy when the seller assumes it's the buyer's job to market the guitar to themselves.
Guitarists occupy both extremes of the best and the worst of my selling and buying experiences.

The part of my brain that I can usually ignore is telling me: "Let's get EVERYBODY on LTG to ask him for string height measurements! And neck-angle photos, too!!!"
Link me the eff up.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In his defense, he wrote me back ;-)
He must be getting desperate.
And BTW not all specs ARE in "the book", before one even considers the fact the Guild changed 'em up on a whim, like nut widths.

:glee:
And don't forget that's with a 24" straightedge.
And tuners: We need to know if the tuners have been replaced.
And what kind of strings are on it.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
:) You guys are funny, getting so worked up over an ignorant seller's attitude. Like Richard said, after the first response, I'd be done.

I supposed if this were a truly rare grail, I'd have to think more about possible steps, but even then I'd probably run away.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
'Run away" is also what I would do. The seller clearly either does not want to sell it, or is someone you will regret doing business with. Imagine your attempt to return the guitar?!

walrus

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I realize that acoustic buyers are pests ;-)

There's a special clause in Murphy's Law that covers loose braces as well as speaker rattles (buyers often have either one of these and will need some money back "before their tech has already fixed the problem" to the tune of X amount of $...

Chazmo, I think this one is just too classic not to have some fun with, and it's Guild related ;-) The way he said, "It's a Guild", I'll never forget... probably be telling grandkids ;-)

Tuners are huge for me, I don't like them changed out, I don't like locking Sperzels... I like tuners that look like they did in 1950, simple, and light, but at least stock, otherwise I like old Grovers.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Fair enough, GA... :) How many times have I said "It's a Honda" when I'm talking about my prized cars, lawnmower, snowblower, etc. :) I mean, really, "It's a Guild" says it all, don'ch'a' think? :) :)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, GA... :) How many times have I said "It's a Honda" when I'm talking about my prized cars, lawnmower, snowblower, etc. :) I mean, really, "It's a Guild" says it all, don'ch'a' think? :) :)

Right now, I don't think there's a finer mower made than my Honda powered GREEN LawnBoy I picked up last summer ;-) Ahhh, to mow again...

It's true, sticking with quality helps.

But as you know, anything goes, like the Guild I need to discuss in the other thread...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Lawn Boy has a Honda motor? Well, if that's true I have to give them a second look next time I shop for a mower.

Now, if you want to talk about a total a$$-kicking snowblower, check out the huge tracks (o' land) on this puppy This thing has really helped me out the last few weeks!:

mqaK0iX.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Lawn Boy has a Honda motor? Well, if that's true I have to give them a second look next time I shop for a mower.

Now, if you want to talk about a total a$$-kicking snowblower, check out the huge tracks (o' land) on this puppy This thing has really helped me out the last few weeks!:

mqaK0iX.jpg

Is that not the transaxle from an N600 up front there?
6a00d83452989a69e20120a52293fa970b-600wi

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hahahaha.... You know what, Al, it might very well be. Probably about the same horsepower rating! :)