NGD Not Sure???

billymox

Reaction score
NGD, used off Reverb. F-30R, NH 2011 Standard. Not sure I will keep it. :disturbed: Seller said excellent condition. Guitar is better condition that most new guitars. Not a scratch or smudge. Beautiful. There is a tiny tiny mark/indention lower left of soundboard.

This is the most powerful 000 I have played, leaves Martin's 000-28 and OM-28 in the dust. It sounds and plays more like a dreadnaught or jumbo. I'd have guessed it had an Adi top. I've always preferred sitka vs adi due to the sweeter more mellow sound of sikta, that's is what I expected. Feels like medium strings? I don't think extra light will change it much. I sing solo mellow songs, it overpowers my singing, bass is huge

There has been some discussions about the Specs on a New Hartford 2011 F-30R which this is. The nut width is 1 3/4", the body depth is just over 4 3/16" at the widest point of the lower bout, and 4 3/8" at the endpin. String spacing at saddle 1 6/32", at nut 1 1/2".

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
So - what's the issue / issues?

Edit - ok, Adi vs Sitka producing a tone different than you were expecting - got it.

Consider trying some different strings before you ditch it.

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
Gee, I wish every guitar I bought online sounded more powerful than I was expecting when I received it :) I understand what you're saying though. If you're singing/playing live, can't you back the guitar down a bit or EQ it to fit your taste? Sounds like you have a great guitar. Would be a shame to have to send it back.

billymox

Reaction score
Maybe try silk and steel to mellow it out.

I may try some expensive Thomastik Plectrum strings. I was playing it last night, I had a thought, this could be my favorite guitar. So much sound out of a small body, but singing it drounds out my voice, even though I never use a pick. Even strumming I always use my index finger to soften the projection.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
After playing a dreadnought for decades, I love the resonance of my F-30!

But to your issue:

It's pretty inexpensive to try some different gauges to see if another gauge gives you the sound you want. I have Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze extra light on my NH F-30RCE, but if it has mediums on it, I'd go slowly down in gauge with extra light being "last". Each string maker often has slightly different gauges with the same name - for example the EB extra lights I'm using are not as light as D'Addario extra light.

Don't know how much time you have to try some other strings while you can still return it, but it sounds like a good weekend experiment!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So - what's the issue / issues?

Edit - ok, Adi vs Sitka producing a tone different than you were expecting - got it.

Consider trying some different strings before you ditch it.

F30 Standards are sitka tops but have adi bracing.
Those are probably what's allowing better top volume.
Still, I agree with trying different strings first, particularly Brad's suggestion of Silk'n'steels.
Am on a similar quest for my F65ce, coincidentally enough.
BTW, @ Billy:
NH F30's were shipped with coated pb lights, .012-.053; D'A EXP16.
If there are actually mediums on there, I'd get 'em off right away.
I'd be worried about too much tension on neck joint.
:friendly_wink:

billymox

Reaction score
I put some D'Addario EJ15 strings on last night, extra light, today it's a little milder but not much. Looks like this guitar just sat in the case after being purchased new, no evidence of play, frets and saddle are tall as new. It may have had the original medium strings on it.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hope you keep that video-when I look back on our 4 and 3 year old sons 40 years ago, it is those type memories that make my heart smile.

tommym

Reaction score
.... This is the most powerful 000 I have played, leaves Martin's 000-28 and OM-28 in the dust.......it overpowers my singing, the bass is huge.

I have a similar problem when I switch from my Froggy Bottom M (EIR/Adi) on over to the Guild NH F-30R Standard. It's like someone really turned up the volume on the Guild NH F-30R Standard, so I have to throttle back on force of my right hand picking patterns, especially on the bass side as I do use a thumbpick.

Tommy

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I may try some expensive Thomastik Plectrum strings. I was playing it last night, I had a thought, this could be my favorite guitar. So much sound out of a small body, but singing it drounds out my voice, even though I never use a pick. Even strumming I always use my index finger to soften the projection.
Billy, try the Spectrums.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I put some D'Addario EJ15 strings on last night, extra light, today it's a little milder but not much. Looks like this guitar just sat in the case after being purchased new, no evidence of play, frets and saddle are tall as new. It may have had the original medium strings on it.
Those need at least a couple of hours to "mellow out"; D'A's are pretty "zingy" at first, so give 'em a chance, then I'd try the silk'n'steels before giving up..

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The F30's I played were great and if out shining your other guitars that's a perk .

To it being to loud maybe you develpoed a heavy hand forcing the others to volume up .

Aldi bracing is stiffer I pretty sure weight to Sitka is pretty close .
I don't feel , just my opinion that over all it accounts for the volume difference but rather the interaction on the tone side .

Volume would lean more to lighter build plus bracing and top tuning .

Another thing I find is that a guitar regardless of age if in excellent condition may very well not be broke in , such is the case with my 2016 Blue 283a .

Anyway my choice is for a triple O to have Vol , clarity , excellent a sustain and overtones and good string balance.

If everything fits the bill taming volume is in the hand . 🙂

String changing is only fine tuning in my opinion .

Oh are there pictures of this guitar ? I may have missed them .

Hope it works out .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh since I can't edit off my phone I'd like to add string gauge and action height will impact volume but by how much just depends .

billymox

Reaction score
Oh since I can't edit off my phone I'd like to add string gauge and action height will impact volume but by how much just depends .

Action is quite low, no string buzz, great for me, extra light strings. I think I will be selling this bold 000.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Action is quite low, no string buzz, great for me, extra light strings. I think I will be selling this bold 000.
I think your nuts lol but in a good way haha list it here in Fs / Ft
I'd like to see pics

What about stuffing a pillow inside it?
Annnnnnd Cut ! That's a rap !