Where the HELL did my string winder go??

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's not often I'm in the mood to change strings. And I combine it with a clean and polish and fretboard conditioning, etc., etc. So the other night I realized it was time and had at least 3 guitars that needed new strings. Not that I'd get all three done, but at least I'd start the process. So I got my station all set up and got my little carryall tray of goodies that I use and..... my Ernie Ball Power Peg string winder is missing. I tore up all the places it could conceivably be and nothing!! I use it on the dining room table, then all the stuff goes back in the carryall and that's it. But it's gone. Completely and totally GONE!! So I went online and ordered a new one. So now I wait. I know as soon as the new one gets here, I'll find the old one. Isn't that always the way?

At least it's not a big ticket item, but jeeze..... who knows when I'll be in the mood again?? :witless:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's why I have at least nine of the damn things. But then I change strings all the time. I wonder how many guitars I've shipped with a free string winder in the case.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
tomas, i have an extra one, want me to send it?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What about those neighbors with the noise complaint?
Could they have abducted it?
It's about time you learned how to do the "tension only no knot" method anyway, not compatible with winders.
Don't get too wound up about it, ok?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Under the couch cushions lol

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cougar, maybe you got the one that's missing from here? Woody, the new one is already on it's way and as soon as it arrives, I KNOW I'll find the old one.........

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just have one of your trusted roadies change strings for you:glee:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Me I would rewind back to when I last used it, try not get all wound up about it and then probably come unwound anyway and wind up making a long winded post ;-)

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
And don't you hate it when someone has their string(s) wound around the post in the wrong direction?

Grassdog

Reaction score
This is insane but I was just debating how I could use my Dewalt power drill to help with the string unwinding process while I hold the guitar steady with my other hand. Not easy! You don't want to have the drill rotating in the wrong direction!

I need a workbench. But that might lead to the urge to start experimenting with other work best left to a luthier.

BTW, I used the term luthier to one of my co-workers the other day and they looked at me like I was crazy. Our passion for guitars doesn't necessarily translate to the world at large. Except the music they make.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is insane but I was just debating how I could use my Dewalt power drill to help with the string unwinding process while I hold the guitar steady with my other hand. Not easy! You don't want to have the drill rotating in the wrong direction!

I need a workbench. But that might lead to the urge to start experimenting with other work best left to a luthier.

BTW, I used the term luthier to one of my co-workers the other day and they looked at me like I was crazy. Our passion for guitars doesn't necessarily translate to the world at large. Except the music they make.

I have over 40 guitars so I do a lot of string changes. I do them all with the guitar on my lap while I binge-watch TV shows on my computer, barely paying attention to what I'm doing. I'd say it's just a practice thing.

I've grown to really dislike the term luthier because I've seen a lot of people say things like, "I brought my guitar to my luthier to get the nut fixed."

No - you brought your guitar to a tech. A luthier makes guitars and it drives me crazy when people demean the term because they want to look smart.

Please understand I'm not saying that you did that. I've just had a couple of cocktails and feel the need to pontificate.* ** *** **** ***** ******

* I am not, nor have I ever been, a pope.

** I may have a problem - with words!

*** That makes me semantic.

**** Writing that makes me pedantic.

***** Wheeeeee Footnotes!!!!!

****** Where the hell is my string winder?

Grassdog

Reaction score
Please understand I'm not saying that you did that. I've just had a couple of cocktails and feel the need to pontificate

No offense taken GAD . , , full disclosure, I might have had a couple shots of bourbon (Knob Creek 100 proof, possibly) when I made that post. I've always said "luthier" when referencing acoustics for some reason, and "guitar tech" with electrics

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've grown to really dislike the term luthier because I've seen a lot of people say things like, "I brought my guitar to my luthier to get the nut fixed."

No - you brought your guitar to a tech. A luthier makes guitars and it drives me crazy when people demean the term because they want to look smart.

I did not do it to "look smart" - it's much too late for that :witless:. But I just changed my latest post about my F-30 from "luthier" to "guitar tech". You are correct about how the word should be used.

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
No offense taken GAD . , , full disclosure, I might have had a couple shots of bourbon (Knob Creek 100 proof, possibly) when I made that post. I've always said "luthier" when referencing acoustics for some reason, and "guitar tech" with electrics

I approve of posting (and guitar buying) while intoxicated.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I did not do it to "look smart" - it's much too late for that :witless:. But I just changed my latest post about my F-30 from "luthier" to "guitar tech". You are correct about how the word should be used.

walrus

I may have been a bit over-the-top in my post. Sometimes my opinions leak out.:witless: