One of a kind guild???

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I received an email from mavuser today who usually posts photos for richard69 but said his posting wasn't working and could I help post some photos. I was about to tell him where to go until I looked at the photos!

From richard69:

Just got this a couple days ago. Don't know much about it except it's a Guild D 55-12. Per Hans that model never made it into production. He'd heard about this but had never seen one.
I suspect very few made (maybe the only one???) It's in fine shape for a 1974 (I think it is a 1974), sounds superb and has lifetimes of sustain.

DSCN0497_zps6hjo56zx.jpg

DSCN0500_zps1ljidj3w.jpg

DSCN0501_zpsbyk3lqcd.jpg

DSCN0508_zpssn9epvz7.jpg

I'm sure Richard will be along to fill in some more details...

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice. The placement of the soundhole seems odd to me, though. It looks too low. Must be a minion prototype.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow I want it !!! Lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice. The placement of the soundhole seems odd to me, though. It looks too low. Must be a minion prototype.

Photos a bit burry but the front photo is off axis that might what your seeing with the sound hole ?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I received an email from mavuser today who usually posts photos for richard69 but said his posting wasn't working and could I help post some photos. I was about to tell him where to go until I looked at the photos!

From richard69:

Just got this a couple days ago. Don't know much about it except it's a Guild D 55-12. Per Hans that model never made it into production. He'd heard about this but had never seen one.
I suspect very few made (maybe the only one???) It's in fine shape for a 1974 (I think it is a 1974), sounds superb and has lifetimes of sustain.

DSCN0497_zps6hjo56zx.jpg

DSCN0500_zps1ljidj3w.jpg

DSCN0501_zpsbyk3lqcd.jpg

DSCN0508_zpssn9epvz7.jpg

I'm sure Richard will be along to fill in some more details...

And how does one find this stuff , mind blowing !

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Photos a bit burry but the front photo is off axis that might what your seeing with the sound hole ?
No. It’s a 12 fret neck join, which is already unusual; but if compare with regular D55s, you see, aside from a 14 fret joint, the soundhole is centered higher than the waist. This is lower.
Maybe a special order for a 12 fret joint while still keeping 20 frets, requiring the lowered soundhole and shifted bracing.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

It's a 12-fretter. How weird is that? And what is the back wood? The Reverb listing says "Solid Grenadillo(?)" Looks like an experimental build, but I like it.

Congrats Richard!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow. If Hans has never seen one, you can bet it's the rarest of the rare! i think you ought to give it to Ray, Richard. :tiger:

I'm still looking at the Dykes signature Guild 12er....

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
looks like rosewood to me. and don’t all 12-fretters have the more centered soundhole? they are just not usually dreads. look at the Martins and Orphs.

that thing is quite the trophy! what a grab, Richard!

and Grot thanks for the assistance! I could have bothered anyone, but this seemed like some serious Grot level acquisition

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sorry all for the pic quality. I just don't do a very good job with that. I can't really tell you anymore than what's already been discussed. I believe it's a 1974 (but am not positive), it's a 12 fret with Spruce top (Sitka I think), looks like EIR sides and the back I guess looks a bit like RW but the grain is quite different than what I'm used to, Ebony fingerboard and bridge, gold tuning machines, HSC that may or may not be original to the guitar, a serial # that is the same on the back of the headstock and on the sound hole label. The guitar wounds wonderful and has plenty of saddle height to adjust action if desired but it feels good to me as is. I can't quite get over the sustain of this guitar, it just seems to ring on forever. I'm not smart enough to comment on soundhole orientation.

The seller was a brick and mortar store in Santa Cruz, California. The seller said he didn't honestly know what he had but thought his price was fair. I called the shop to try and get his price down but he was firm and said if it didn't sell in a month, maybe. I think I caught it just a few minutes after it was listed and rather than mess around trying to get another $100 or $200 off the price I just snatched it. Free shipping was a plus and the store was really good to deal with.

That's about all I can tell you except that for a guy who isn't really big into 12 strings, I really do like this one.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow. I need to keep my eyes open more. Then again, I probably wouldn't have been able to talk myself into what ever price you had to pay.

dbirchett

Reaction score
This is similar to the Crosby signature Martin 12 string. 12 fret neck on a 14 fret body. Not sure what Martin did re: the bracing on that one. Usually the 12 fret Ds are the slope shouldered ones.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If Hans has never seen one, you can bet it's the rarest of the rare!

There are a couple of dozen guitars in my 'notes' that I've heard of, but never seen in the flesh. Mostly they are one-offs that were described to me from memory by the key people I've been interviewing over the years. In some cases the built date was such a long time ago, that the info turned out to be not all that accurate after I finally got to see the instrument, but I can understand how that could happen.

It's always exciting when you come across an instrument that you have a little info on, but never thought that you would actually see it; even when it's just a couple of photos!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Reverb listing says "Solid Grenadillo(?)".
So it could be potentionally Grenadillo. "In South America, it is highly regarded as the best tonewood choice for marimba and xylophone bones and is often referenced as “La Madera Que Canta” (“wood that sings”). Granadillo has been said to have a ringing, bright tap tone and is gaining popularity amongst American instrument makers.". "the 3 most prominent ones on the market are Platymiscium yacatanum, Platymiscium pinnatum and Platymiscium pleiostchyum." Source: https://savagewoods.com/granadillo-wood/
Ralf

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! Congratulations, Richard! That is a really cool guitar!

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is surely a very unique Guild. And thanks to Ralf for the information on Granadillo as a tonewood. First I've heard of it for sure! :encouragement:

bobouz

Reaction score
Very cool acquisition, Richard.

Congrats & enjoy!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Beautiful Richard, Congrats on an Amazing find!

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Holy crap I want to photograph that!

Magnificent score!