New (used) guitar day! DeArmond M75

BoneDigger

Reaction score
I picked up a used DeArmond M75 for a pretty good price but didn't get a chance to plug it in at the shop. It has the Duncan Designed pickups and sounds good, but could be better. Any recommendations on replacement pickups for these guitars if I decide to go that route? Also, any thoughts on these guitars in general. It seems nice and fit and finish are good. It's a deep blue color and looks really nice. Fairly heavy guitar similar to a LP.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
They should be DeArmond pickups. Single coil or humbuckers?

Last edited:

BoneDigger

Reaction score
Humbuckers, but they say "Duncan Designed" so I'm guessing they are replacements?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got one. Plays nice but is a little heavy.

More discussion of blue DeArmond M75's here. I don't know squat about electrics, but I think all the DeArmonds came originally with DeArmond Gold Tone or 2000's. A lot of folks will buy a DeArmond guitar and part out the pickups. Asking prices for a pair of the Gold Tones is getting close to $300.

Here's mine:

N78xdnrl.jpg

Last edited:

BoneDigger

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Yes, that is the same color blue and appears to be the same guitar, though with different pickups in it. I am assuming that the pickups were replaced at some point. So, hoe do you actually post a picture on here? I use to be able to do so with Photobucket and now they want me top pay for a yearly membership to post a direct image link. Ideas?

So, would this guitar then take typical Les Paul sized humbuckers? Or, should I just take the guitar back and buy an Epiphone Les Paul Pro Plus since this one has pretty "meh" pickups in it?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use Imgur after abandoning Photobucket as a result of their attempt to hold the internet hostage. You have to host your photos elsewhere and link to them here. The FAQ is here.

If the DeArmond doesn't have the original pickups, I'd return it. Much of the value and magic of those guitars lies in their pickups.

If you want a DeArmond and have a little patience, they do show up on Craigslist: Here's a DeArmond Starfire for $475 asked. And another model for $375 asked.

They're out there - watch the market to get an understanding of values and be patient.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I would return that one. They are not too hard to find. The Goldtone PU’s are pretty fine sounding; about 50-70% of the reason to own a DeArmond guitar.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
I called the shop today and plan to return the M75 on Tuesday when they are open again.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not my M75T, but a pic of a similar guita
tk7eucqsesusl6lkbplz.jpg
ine has a graphite nut, locking tuners, a roller bridge, plus the Digsby has the spacers underneath and the penny under the spring.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not my M75T, but a pic of a similar guitar. Mine has a graphite nut, locking tuners, a roller bridge, plus the Digsby has the spacers underneath and the penny under the spring.

tk7eucqsesusl6lkbplz.jpg

BoneDigger

Reaction score
Funny thing is, I've been really enjoying the tone over the last few days. This guitar really sounds good! Once I found the right tone setup, it really has a nice sound. Hmm, decisions!!!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If you like the sound, and you like the price, keep it!

walrus