Has this been shown before? Guild S100 prototype at Carter's

DThomasC

Reaction score
I think that's one of the most unique reactions to a photo!

You probably don't mean that as a compliment, but I'm not going to apologize either.

OK, "pissed off" is a little strong, but I did say almost. I mean, I honestly don't care what some stranger does. Honestly. So if I don't care I can't possibly be angry about it, right? But I think I might be slightly annoyed it they expected me to be interested in such a thing. I don't know, maybe...

OK, I'm sorry I said it!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You probably don't mean that as a compliment, but I'm not going to apologize either.

OK, "pissed off" is a little strong, but I did say almost. I mean, I honestly don't care what some stranger does. Honestly. So if I don't care I can't possibly be angry about it, right? But I think I might be slightly annoyed it they expected me to be interested in such a thing. I don't know, maybe...

OK, I'm sorry I said it!

Let's talk about your feelings. Are you upset because someone posted the picture? Perhaps you are upset because of what the picture shows? Often, when there is anger, someone has broken a rule. Is a rule of yours threatened by the picture or the concept of a MicroTonal guitar?

Take a deep breath, close your eyes and visualize your favorite Guild headstock. Now let your mind's eye wander to the neck. Imagine your fingers on those straight (As God Intended) frets. Stay in your Happy Place as long as you need to.

:)

:)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You guys givetching about the bendy frets is making me want to buy it so I can post huge pics of them for the world to see.

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Let's hope that the readers will understand that we got sidetracked a little, because the original subject of this thread has nothing to do with a 'micro tonal' guitar. It's about somebody's theory on how to make a guitar play in tune within our tonal system, which is not micro tonal.
As in life there are a lot of beliefs and religions, but we are not supposed to talk about them on this forum!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Let's hope that the readers will understand that we got sidetracked a little, because the original subject of this thread has nothing to do with a 'micro tonal' guitar. It's about somebody's theory on how to make a guitar play in tune within our tonal system, which is not micro tonal.
As in life there are a lot of beliefs and religions, but we are not supposed to talk about them on this forum!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hans, with everything else we expect of you, perhaps you should also be a moderator! :wink-new:

walrus

DThomasC

Reaction score
Are you saying that the anger I feel towards some effed up frets, appropriate or not, is off topic? (BTW: thanks for listening without judging. I'm learning about myself and that's not always easy.)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Even if I'm a devout Microtonalist? Does that mean we can't talk about my* microtonal keyboards?

How about a 31-tone model:

GordonSelf3Closeup.jpg

Maybe a more traditional looking 22-tone model?

22-tone-per-octave-m-audio-keystation-88.jpg

*not really mine. Got the pics from https://hpi.zentral.zone/blog?p=73 and http://sevish.com/2016/microtonal-piano-roll-for-ableton-live/

:laughing:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
One of the cool things about digital keyboards is being able to remap the keys to play in "weird" scales. I'll sometimes switch to Egyptian mapping if I'm uninspired by standard. No fret mangling necessary! :)

-Dave-

Reaction score
Depending on how you look at it you could call it a prototype, but I would not call it a Guild prototype. At some point somebody who had 'invented' a string compensation system was trying to sell his idea to FMIC. They did send him some instruments and asked him to install the system, so they could see how it would work on an actual guitar; this is one of those guitars.

Since FMIC did send him a stock S-100, the serial number has no relation to the date that the experimental guitar was completed.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

I bought the companion S-100 (red '96) to this one and would highly, highly recommend dealing with Carter Vintage. A fantastic experience beginning to arrival.

Back on topic, from what I understand these guitars (both mine. which was as close to mint as a 23 year old guitar could be!) and the one with the compensated frets) came from a former Guild employee who moved to Nashville to work in the Gibson Custom Shop.