Input jack fell out. What now?

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Or should I say, fell into the body and the lockring from inside the body fell into the body, too.

So is there an easy fix, or is now a good time to redo all the electronics as I have been thinking of doing since they are noisy and the pots work only as off/on at this point and no tapering/swells possible anymore?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Or should I say, fell into the body and the lockring from inside the body fell into the body, too.

So is there an easy fix, or is now a good time to redo all the electronics as I have been thinking of doing since they are noisy and the pots work only as off/on at this point and no tapering/swells possible anymore?

Yeah.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Before replacing everything of that PASSIVE electronics ( 4 pots - 2 caps - 1 switch ) - ask yourself : "Have I tweaked those pots good and at least once a month end-to-end ? Or have I been "saving" them from wear?

If it is 1:st, then it might be, that pots are worn and need to be replaced - so out with everything and new stuff in.

If it is 2:nd, then first get that jack out through f-hole - wiggle the washer out - put a LONG piece of CAT-cable, steel wire or something else stiff enough into jack hole - make it through a f-hole and put the washer in - put the jack on that wire - work it to where it belongs - tighten up.

You did not tell what guitar, but your avatar shows a Starfire.

Taking strings and bridge p.u. off might make things smoother . . .

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
good thing, if the washers are still inside of the guitar, you still have any thing you need.
if you still have the nut, just be patient shaking the guitat that the washer falls through an f-hole. then fetch the input jack with one of the many ways you can get it wirh youtube help, and fix it and there you go.

reminder: always check the screws on your guitar regularly...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
good thing, if the washers are still inside of the guitar, you still have any thing you need.
if you still have the nut, just be patient shaking the guitat that the washer falls through an f-hole. then fetch the input jack with one of the many ways you can get it wirh youtube help, and fix it and there you go.

reminder: always check the screws on your guitar regularly...

What my friend Michael said, but please… It's an output jack, not an input jack! Nothing goes in a guitar, only out.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Starfire I NS
I do twirl the knobs regularly.
Might as well put a new harness in. Thanks for the links and tips!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What my friend Michael said, but please… It's an output jack, not an input jack! Nothing goes in a guitar, only out.
Not helpful at all, but I gotta admit it's a pet peeve of mine too. Guitars have output jacks, not input jacks. Carry on.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"Nothing goes in a guitar, only out."

Hold on there: I regularly check my mojo reservoir with the dipstick and top off as needed!

kakerlak

Reaction score
Not helpful at all, but I gotta admit it's a pet peeve of mine too. Guitars have output jacks, not input jacks. Carry on.

I would also argue the input jack fell in, rather than out. "Jack fell out" is Telecaster territory ;-)