Inlay Inquiry

GSFV

Reaction score
I've noticed that most of the guild electrics have inlays that go up to 15th or 17th fret. After that they stop (with the exception of the Jetstar). At first I thought it was a semi/hollowbody thing. Like the epiphone Sheraton model. But I saw that that was true of the Solid Bodies (bluesbird, polara, T-Bird). So then I thought that maybe it was a NS thing. They were trying to push people into a more expensive model, or trying to save money. It doesn't make sense, but I wrote it off and moved on. As I have since learned more about vintage Guilds, I realize that this is not a NS thing. They've done this for a while! I also noticed that some of the Starfire models in the 90s and early 2000s have inlays that go all the way to 21. Furthering my confusion.

My question is: why is this the case? Why do the inlays stop at 15/17? Is it something they did on NS to try and be vintage correct? If so, why did they do it that way originally?

The reason I ask is because I do chord voicing that can get pretty high up on the neck. Not usually up above 15, but it happens occasionally. When I first got my Starfire V, I spent a lot of time being/getting lost up there. Since I've somewhat gotten used to it. But when I pick up another guitar, with inlays that go that far, it is very nice and convenient! The "lost factor" is almost none.

Any insight?

kakerlak

Reaction score
I don't really see fretboard inlays when I'm playing standing up. Now, the vintage S-100 I used to have that was inexplicably sans side dots was frustrating.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with kakerlak, and although I don't play the electrics, my acoustics run the gamut from very busy inlays to hardly anything. I'm lost without the side dots, though, because I do play up to the 14th fret. But seldom above that. I don't even notice the fretboard inlays while I'm playing. I know that this doesn't answer your question at all, so why the fret markers don't go all the way up is a mystery to me.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild-1982-X79-Top.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Some of the 70's and 80's solidbodies have markers up to the 24th fret. Never thought about why some stop early though...

I think those only appear on the 24-fret necks.
I know for sure it's a dead giveaway on the F-ce acoustic/electrics that it's a short-scale 24-fret neck.
But I also think now that I've only ever seen those with dot markers like GAD's pic..

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dunno.

But I have noted that players who are more proficient than I am don't use the fret board markers. They are purely decoration according to people I talk to.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Reminds of the instructional "Andy Summers - Guitar" DVD from Hot Licks. He does most of the DVD lessons with an archtop with no fret markers! So looking at his hand as he's playing facing you, it's really hard to tell where he is on the fretboard - HE knows, but it's hard for the "student" watching the DVD to tell!

walrus

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use the guide markers on the fretboard a fair amount. I just learning scale positions and patterns, so those markers are very handy to me.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also you shouldn’tbe looking at the fretbord but if you are learn to use the side markers.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wait.... I'm getting confused about terminology here. Are we talking fretboard inlays, or fretboard dot markers on the side..... ???

One is useful, the other is decorative.....

p. s. - see GAD's last photo is perfect about inlays all the way up, but when you're playing, who sees that??? It's the dot side markers that will lead you... unless I'm doing it wrong, which I probably am.....

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wait.... I'm getting confused about terminology here. Are we talking fretboard inlays, or fretboard dot markers on the side..... ???

One is useful, the other is decorative.....

p. s. - see GAD's last photo is perfect about inlays all the way up, but when you're playing, who sees that??? It's the dot side markers that will lead you... unless I'm doing it wrong, which I probably am.....

I'm assuming we are talking abut inlays, and agree it's the fretboard dot markers that can be "useful". My previous post was an example of when inlays can also be useful, when you are looking at a guitarist playing and trying to see what they are doing.

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some of us are stuck in the '80s and don't go below the 12th fret! :pride:

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Some of us are stuck in the '80s and don't go below the 12th fret! :pride:

Frets 12-15 = The Guild Zone. Three frets is more than enough for anyone. What are you, some kind of show-off?

GSFV

Reaction score
That all makes sense, but on the guilds i've seen (again, maybe its a NS thing) the dots on the side of the neck stop around 17 as well. I know for sure that my Starfire doesn't have side dots that go up to 19 or 21.

Initially I was referring to the inlays on the fretboard. But I guess my question remains the same. Why don't the dots (side or fretboard) go all the way up.

Or is this one of those times where I need to grow as a player? :culpability: