Acrylic fingernails?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do a lot of fingerpicking. I've used a variety of picks, and ended up settling on the Fred Kelly Speed Pick for the thumb, and Pro-Pik brass double wrap fingerpicks for my index and middle finger.

The problem I have with the fingerpicks is that they tend to come off (solved with a little Gorilla Tape) and mainly that they are bent the wrong way for a downstroke.

So last year I abandoned the picks and went with my bare fingers. I've built up sufficient calluses on my thumb and picking fingers, but I still can't get the punch and volume unplugged. So I'm growing out the nails and it sounds pretty good so far...wondering of anyone is doing acrylic nails for this purpose. I would like to lengthen and strengthen the nails.

I'm hoping I can use this method to both pick in the upward direction and strum with the downstroke.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall that same question being asked many years ago, and at least one positive response.
Those things can be incredibly durable, I might even consider it myself because my own nails are pretty soft.
But I also worry a it about maybe catching a string just wrong and tearing the nail off the fingertip, even if only partially.
Also, as a nail grows out from the quick it does carry the acrylic nail with it, so they do need periodic maintenance/replacement, which was another turn-off to me.

wileypickett

Reaction score
When I started touring regularly in 2004 or so, I discovered my fingernails were just not strong enough to play every night on steel string guitars. (I'm a fairly aggressive player.) Within a few days they were worn down to the fleshy pads of my fingers. (I've played with a thumbpick since I was 14, so that wasn't an issue -- just what do with my fingers.)

I then tried just about every style fingerpick out there (my favorite was the Alaska-Pik), but none gave me the comfort and flexibility that my fingernails did.

I'd just seen a documentary on some flamenco guitarists which began with one of the players in a Vietnamese nail salon having his fingernails done, which is what convinced me to give it a shot.

Man, I wish I'd discovered them 45 years ago!

They work great; they're rugged, you can do upstrokes as well as downstrokes; and they feel completely natural. I thought I'd be breaking nails all the time, but I doubt I break a nail even once a year.

They need to be renewed about every three weeks as your nails grow out; where I get them done, it runs me about 15 bucks a session. Takes 20 minutes.

If you try them and discover you don't like them, you just let your nails grow out again.

Plus how cool is it being the only guy in the nail salon? VERY cool!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't use them but another site I'm on which mostly are custom builders and performers and they use the acrilic nails .
Maybe one day I'll give them a go , it's a job thing .

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Plus one on the nail salon thing. I've not tried them, but a number of people on one of the classical guitar sites use them and like them.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
wiley, can you lengthen the nails a bit too, or are you restricted to the existing nail length?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
wiley, can you lengthen the nails a bit too, or are you restricted to the existing nail length?
Apologies for butt-inski, but as I understand it they come l-o-o-ng and are cut to desired length after attaching.
Then they grow out along with the regular nail but the area between the false nail and the quick gets exposed.
Thus the need for periodic "fills" or replacement.
Here's an insightful "tell-all" from someone who just didn't have the time or $ for the salon route and used a home Do-It-Yourself kit:
https://beingmanicallyme.wordpress.com/tag/diy-acrylic-nails/

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If it's good enough for Paul McCartney...

From musicradar.com, with a wise-a$$ interviewer:

I recently saw footage from the Sullivan performance and it struck me how unusual your fingerpicking technique was. The way you plucked the bass strings with your thumb and then sort of strummed the treble strings with your index finger reminds me a little of the way some old-time country guitarists played…

"A lot of people think I can do proper fingerstyle, but when you see me up close, you realise I can't. John and I wanted to learn the formal style of fingerpicking, but I never got around to it. He did, and he used it on Julia and some other things.
"I never really got into it, but I love the sound so much, so I just figured out my own way of doing it: that's really how I learned every instrument I play. On things like Yesterday and Blackbird I just hit the bass string and sort of flick the high strings."

And that's how you always play acoustic guitar, is it?

"I use a flatpick on more chordal stuff, but I did a bunch of that, yeah. It's my own goofball version of fingerpicking. The main drawback to my approach is that because of the way I flick the chords and notes with my finger, it wears my nail down.
"A couple of years ago, my [then] wife Heather suggested that I put an acrylic nail on. I said, No, I can't do that! But I did do it on the last couple of tours and it works like a dream."

And wearing an acrylic nail hasn't made you feel like less of a man?

"I still feel like a man - a full-grown man."

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That truly is a JACKA$$ interviewer.... jeeze. Who says $hit like that to Paul McCartney?? People can really piss me off. Of all the things to focus on....... :jaded:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sir Paul coulda said: The better to claw your eyes out with, dearie!"

wileypickett

Reaction score

You can get them made to any length. (For me, they work best at about 1/8" or so above the fleshy pad of my fingers, and I have mine made thick.)

Once on you can shape them with an emory board, like you would your regular nails.

I've also tried fake nails that you glue on, and hated them. Night and day difference. Rather than gluing a piece of pre-made material onto your nail, this is a liquid acrylic that is painted on -- they're super secure and unlike fake nails, these don't easily pop off.

wileypickett

Reaction score
In the video posted, the piece of synthetic that is glued on at the beginning is something you only have to have done the first time you go, in order to have your regular nails extended to the proper length. As your regular nails grow out, there's no need for the extenders; they just paint on the acrylic. I get the first three fingernails on my right hand done, though I mainly use my index and middle fingers for picking. The whole process takes about 15 minutes, once every three weeks. It's made a world of difference for me.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That truly is a JACKA$$ interviewer.... jeeze. Who says $hit like that to Paul McCartney?? People can really piss me off. Of all the things to focus on....... :jaded:

How come - Paul seems to be a man with great sense of humour and positive attitude.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
When I was gigging 5 nights a week playing Acoustic steel String and Pedal Steel Guitar I used to have my nails done as well. I have really thick natural nails so I never really needed the acrylic ones until I was playing non stop as they would start cracking at the edges. I could never find a finger pick set or thumb pick that I really liked and that felt "Natural" to me. I always wound up having to modify an existing pick set and still couldn't get the right feel for the way I finger pick my acoustic and then playing the Pedal Steel was a whole different style so I would have to modify another set for that. It was extremely annoying and uncomfortable.

The Acrylic nails held up awesome and like Wiley said I would have them redone about every 3 weeks. They never hurt while playing or felt flimsy by any means, just felt like my nails and always performed extremely well even with medium gauge strings.

Nowadays I am not gigging constantly due to the shoulder problems but I still enjoy fingerpicking my guitars. Since I already have pretty strong nails I just coat my natural nails with "Advanced Hard As Nails" clear polish by Sally Hansen. It keeps them rigid without the need to go have the acrylic nails done and keeps them from cracking at the edge of the nail/flesh pad. Just apply 2-3 coats, let dry for about 5 minutes, and they are good for a few weeks. If I ever get back to playing full time I will definitely have the acrylic nails done again as it is a simple and cost effective solution to a very annoying issue. Plus like mentioned previously it just makes my playing feel more natural which means I enjoy playing more rather than feel like I have to work at it dealing with all those different finger picks.

Good Luck!

TX

Reaction score
Acrylic are the way to go.
1 year of use sold me. JT has a video on how he does his.
3 fingers (I use a thumb pick) costs me 5 bucks every 4 weeks.
You can adjust the length easily with practice. Works well for strumming. Gives nice clean sound. Allows you diversity in playing notes soft or loud.

No draw backs after 1 year. Wish I'd gone this many years ago.

IMO

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK you guys talked me into it, I'll be getting my acrylic nail extensions soon!

If they're good enough for Sir Paul and good ol' lovin man JT, they're likely good enough for me.