Made the mistake

Br1ck

Reaction score
When the New Hartford warehouse was getting cleaned out, they sold a local guitar store a D 55 with the most horribly gone wrong sunburst finish you could imagine. The clearcoat was riddled with those horrible finish cracks reminiscent of thick poly gone wrong, and there were areas where it looked like tape had been applied to a not dry finish. Looked great from across the room. Ten feet in, yuck. But it blew the pants off all the Martins Id been playing. I could have bought it for $1200. Just couldn't do it, plus I'd just bought mt 00 15 custom.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Your wife's money? Best not while a job change for her is going on. She may already be dealing with a lot of stress. I have NEVER received anything for our anniversary. But don't want to either. Oh well...different worlds I guess.

I understand! Not snarky. We don’t usually do much for any holidays, birthdays or anything. I let her splurge on jewelry last anniversary, and she said I could get something this one. I work too, she just makes much more! I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on that one...

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Kinda surprised nobody's mentioned our own little underground railroad of folks who rescue deserving pieces for the sake of keeping 'em healthy until a good home can be found for 'em.
Cold heartless retail establishments have been known to sell 'em off to cruel speculators who don't even let 'em out of their cases for exercise.
YOU sound like the type of guy who could do a lot of good rescuing a guitar like that until a proper home could be found.
And I bet your Mrs. is just as open-minded and caring as you are.
So let us know if you want to join the "railroad".
We can always use another helping hand.
:watermelon:

Somehow the idea of this amongst this group doesn’t even strike me as odd! I also find it amusing, I can see a lot of guitars to buy as “investments” (not that I do), but I don’t see Guilds as one of them. Not because of low quality, they just aren’t a “hot” name amongst non guitarists I feel. That railroad sounds like a good club! Of the many instruments that have passed through my hands I have always loved getting to know their next owners and knowing when one I love goes to another good home. I have friends with many of my past instruments, and we always talk about ones that have been back and forth amongst our acquaintances.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
When the New Hartford warehouse was getting cleaned out, they sold a local guitar store a D 55 with the most horribly gone wrong sunburst finish you could imagine. The clearcoat was riddled with those horrible finish cracks reminiscent of thick poly gone wrong, and there were areas where it looked like tape had been applied to a not dry finish. Looked great from across the room. Ten feet in, yuck. But it blew the pants off all the Martins Id been playing. I could have bought it for $1200. Just couldn't do it, plus I'd just bought mt 00 15 custom.

They just gave it 25 years of finish checking, at a discount! It’s funny how within minutes of playing you know if a guitar is worth the money or more time to sit with.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They just gave it 25 years of finish checking, at a discount! It’s funny how within minutes of playing you know if a guitar is worth the money or more time to sit with.

It may have been a test mule. Worth noting that the D-55 was the first product out of New Hartford at the beginning of 2009. A good part of 2008 was spent experimenting with the D-55 builds.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One word... Layaway

Lock it down, then figure out how to make it yours.

Last edited:

TBK711

Reaction score
Oh my - that’s a nice one. I think I’ve seen it on Reverb and it has had my interest. I would like to see it a little cheaper than that but, man, that one looks pretty!!

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I do feel like it’s definitely priced on the high end, one reason I wasn’t rushing for it. In their defense, all the instruments they sell are thoroughly gone through and they disclose any issues.