Put down the Sharpie Einstein....!!!!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
LMAO! Sorry, but that is so bizarre it is funny!

"Hey kids, behave while I'm gone, OK? And don't touch my guitar..."

walrus

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kids
I go grab pizza - here are crayons - I'll be back in a jiffy . . .

Grassdog

Reaction score
Bizarre indeed. Someone apparently had an appreciation for the aesthetic of a Haven's model, yet no concern whatsoever for causing damage to the finish and value of the instrument. Yeah probably a kid with a steady hand. At least not a bad job of outlining the symmetrical shape.

When I was a little kid, I snagged a baseball from my parent's curio cabinet and took it outside and played with it. They got it in St Louis in the late 50's/early 60's at a Dodgers game. It had the autographs of Dizzy Dean, PeeWee Reese, Red Schoendienst, and Don Drysdale. My Mom/Dad were not pleased.

wileypickett

Reaction score
When I was a little kid, I snagged a baseball from my parent's curio cabinet and took it outside and played with it. They got it in St Louis in the late 50's/early 60's at a Dodgers game. It had the autographs of Dizzy Dean, PeeWee Reese, Red Schoendienst, and Don Drysdale. My Mom/Dad were not pleased.

Yeah, but I bet Dizzy, PeeWee, Red, and Don would have given you high-fives!

bobouz

Reaction score
Oh I forgot one other autograph that was on that ball - Sandy Koufax

Ah, my hero as a kid. Got to see him pitch once in relief (virtually unheard of at the time, since he was their ace starter).

Last two innings in a game against the Cubs, six up & six down, of course!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Question is how to remove Sharpie without removing the finish?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If I wanted this guitar, I would just put actual pickguard over the sharpie - depending on ow good that "drawing" actually is...

walrus

Br1ck

Reaction score
If I could determine the guitar had no major issues, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I'd first take 400 grit sandpaper to it. If you can sand the black off without sanding the clear, sand with 600, 800, 1000, and 1200. Might work. Worst case, you spray laquer over the entire front. If it needs a refret, or neck reset, all bets are off. I'd offer $200.

You could to a pickguard, but I'm not a fan of that look.

wileypickett

Reaction score
If it's indelible marker and has been on there for a long time it may have bled into the finish.

Acetone (nail polish remover) quickly and easily removes indelible marker, especially from polished surfaces. Would it also hurt the finish though I wonder?

If I was anwhere near the seller I'd be on my way to check it out right now!

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Might be able to get it off😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If it's indelible marker and has been on there for a long time it may have bled into the finish.
YES!

Acetone (nail polish remover) quickly and easily removes indelible marker, especially from polished surfaces. Would it also hurt the finish though I wonder?
Yes it will, acetone is the solvent for NCL .
Naptha's the non-solvent cleaner, but still suspect after so many years you'll never get it all out, because the NCL itself is microporous and the marker fluid itself probably leached into the NCL.
In fact, if it got into he NCL it might have even got into the wood.

If I was anwhere near the seller I'd be on my way to check it out right now!
And if you like the 'dual 'guard look, putting a second guard on it's probably the best solution.
It's the right model for it, that's for sure.
:friendly_wink:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
if I were drunk enough to think that was a good idea, then I'd be too drunk to hold the Sharpie.

Unbelievable.