Can some one tell me about the Tacoma f40.

theguru

Reaction score
This a Tacoma made f40 guild. Is this a good guitar? What is neck like? What does it sound like? Any help would be great?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My favorite Guild is a Tacoma-built instrument, guru.

I really don't know anything about the F-40 from there. I don't think I've ever played an F-40 actually.

The only thing that I'd warn you about is if the guitar has USED stamped in the back of the headstock, thus implying that the guitar was sold through reclamation (MIRC). I'm not aware of any issues with F-40 models, but Contemporary Series instruments that were MIRC'd as Tacoma shut down are caveat emptor.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I like mine. I find the neck comfortable, but beyond that I can't comment on much other than it has a 1 7/8" nut. I don't pay much attention to neck profile, if it feels good I play it, regardless of shape or size, and this one does. Soundwise, it doesn't have the resonance of my D-55 or the volume of my F-50, but it's very even sounding, probably better for a flat picker than a finger style, although I don't use finger or thumb picks, so that might make a difference. I'd say if the price is in your ball park, and it's not stamped "used" (as Chazmo mentioned above), go for it. If I were to look for another one, I'd try to find one in the $1200 or less range (in the US).
Brad

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I like mine. I find the neck comfortable, but beyond that I can't comment on much other than it has a 1 7/8" nut.
Brad, are you sure about that nut width, 1-7/8?!?
Spec in Tacoma was 1-11/16, and they did have 1-3/4" nuts on the "Contemporary Series" versions of the F40, the CV-1 and CV-2's.
But kind of surprised you didn't mention the Tacoma F40's were called "Valencias" because they got Adi tops and got a lot of positive reaction here when introduced..also have 'hog bodies(!) which was actually an F47 trait:
From here:
"Introduced in 1954, the F-40 Valencia featured a compact body shape (slightly larger than the F-30 Aragon) with a spruce top and arched maple back and sides. It’s an incredibly well-balanced guitar, sensitive to light picking or heavy strumming. Our new F-40 Valencia has an original grand orchestra body based on the 1954 F-40 Valencia model, with all solid woods, 16” lower bout, red spruce top and bracing, mahogany back and sides, Indian rosewood fingerboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, bone bridge pins, tortoise binding, 1 11/16” nut and lacquer finish. Available in Natural, Antique Burst and Ice Tea Burst. "