Trying silk and steels on my F130

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
So it came time to restring my F130 for the first time since I bought it used. When I purchased I went with my go to Elixir pb nanos. I will admit I loved its sound, thought I’d try something new though. Haven’t used a set of silk/steels in probably 7-8 years and having a smaller than dred size guitar wanted to give it a go. Initial impression is the typical....more mellow, smoother sound. They definitely are “stickier” feeling than the nanos. I like how they sound for passages that I pick with my fingers as they seem to be more balanced across the spectrum than I’m used to, haven’t had the chance to try them out with a pick yet. I’m interested to see their longevity as I don’t play out or as often as I would like (darn toddlers), and that’s one thing I love with the Elixirs as I can get away with two sets a year per guitar. Anyway, just was curious of others thoughts I’ll update as I break them in!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As many will attest to, I am a big proponent of trying different strings and stick with what you like!! But since we're talking about Silk & **** strings, and the fact that I'm a died in the wool GHS string person (although there are other great strings out there!) try some Silk & Bronze from GHS. They're similar but softer and a mellower sound which i don't really care for. I play kinda hard(ish) with a pick so I like some BITE but I thought they were really good. I'm gonna buy some more. But my new faves are D'addario EXP-14's which are the coated version of the 80/20 bronze strings that have a bit more brightness to them, but they're coated and with the Medium low strings and the Light top ones. Personally? I ordered a TON of them and most of my guitar sport those right now.

But the string question is a silly thing. All your guitars need new strings all the time..... try them all!!! Branch out!! I've even had flatwounds on my acoustic!! CRAZY WILD INSANE STUFF, HUH?? No just a guy being experimental.

Ask Pascal.... he'll tell you how we feel about string selection..... mostly just play the f**ker and enjoy!!

How's that for a response??? LOL!! :devilish: