50 years

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got my first guitar in 1969, I was 15 years old.

Borrowing a line from "Amanda:" "I got my first guitar when I was fifteen, now I'm half past sixty and still wearing jeans..."

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
congrats Dread! this is a great thread starter too. I wonder how many years LTGers been playing guitar...

I started on my birthday in 1980. 39 years so far :)

"39 years? you think you would be better by now..."
"i know, i know..."

lol

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm close to you, dread, but I took time off from it a few times. I wish I didn't, I'd be a better player. I think...

walrus

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Got my 1st guitar in 1965. I was 14 years old. My mom and dad couldn't afford it but they bought me a brand new Fender Strat and a Vibrolux Reverb amp at B Sharp music in Minneapolis. (man, would they be worth something today-alas I sold them both for beer money my senior year in college-beer and women just seemed more important at the time) Played mostly electric through college. Took 30 years or so off and then got heavily into acoustic around 2003 and just keep on buying. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm as good as I'm going to get (and that's average or below) and that my old bones are stiffening up worse each year. But, I just don't give a damn. I enjoy it and will be playing I'm sure up to my last breath.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
You guys have got it right - it's all about having fun with the music. I've told more than one band over the years "As soon as this ceases to be fun, I'm outta here!"

I like to joke about still being on my trek to international rock stardom...but I never really aspired to do anything more than play guitar by the campfire and sing with my friends.

One night were were at a campfire by a friend's lakefront property, my bass player invited some friends that played for the local symphony - he played violin and she played viola. It was a calm summer night and as we played all these boats anchored close by to listen to the music. It was a special space in time; the symphony musicians played a beautiful interlude to "Nights In White Satin."

Then they thanked us profusely for letting them join us, which I considered a real compliment.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
1979, so 40 years. My first guitar:

_B0Z6177_800.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Iconic photo, Gary. Looks like a million other kids.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
One night were were at a campfire by a friend's lakefront property, my bass player invited some friends that played for the local symphony - he played violin and she played viola. It was a calm summer night and as we played all these boats anchored close by to listen to the music. It was a special space in time; the symphony musicians played a beautiful interlude to "Nights In White Satin."

Then they thanked us profusely for letting them join us, which I considered a real compliment.

That really does sound special.

idealassets

Reaction score
Got my 1st guitar in 1965. I was 14 years old. My mom and dad couldn't afford it but they bought me a brand new Fender Strat and a Vibrolux Reverb amp at B Sharp music in Minneapolis. (man, would they be worth something today-alas I sold them both for beer money my senior year in college-beer and women just seemed more important at the time) Played mostly electric through college. Took 30 years or so off and then got heavily into acoustic around 2003 and just keep on buying. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm as good as I'm going to get (and that's average or below) and that my old bones are stiffening up worse each year. But, I just don't give a damn. I enjoy it and will be playing I'm sure up to my last breath.

Yah, uh-huh, and not to mention just a few extra guitars around to make everything better. When did you get an F612, and what does it look like?

idealassets

Reaction score
Got my first guitar when I was 27, many years after playing drums (see below). We had Friday night get-togethers where I worked and we would sing popular songs that were easy to play. It was great. Most of these folks were really beginners, and thought that cheaper guitars were a better deal. Not being coached very well, I bought an Alvarez mahogany. Why spend $150 more for rosewood? It all sounded the same to me at the time.

Not to sully the moment, I bought a great deal on a set of drums my senior year of high school. Just the Paiste cymbals were worth much more than what I got the entire kit for. They were Japanese made Ludwig clones. Not long after, I then bought a set of vintage 1966 Ludwig white pearl finish, and was playing on weekends and making great steady money. It was all Bad Company, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Frampton, etc. The guitar players were great, but I really wonder if they can still play all that great stuff at all today. No chord sheets, no lyric sheets, nothing; they played it all to the tee.

Last edited:

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Dang, Richardp69 and I are twins from different mothers.

Summer of '65 @ 14 years of age I got the Capri.

Still mediorcre and getting worse due to aging fingers.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow this is a fun thread!! I love all these stories. When Don and I got together (41 years ago!) he had several nice acoustic guitars and he helped me with learning to play. Then life got in the way and after i got to the point where I was a BAD guitar player, I got laid off as a Hospital Medical Records Administrator for Kaiser Foundation Hospital. DAMN!! But the good part is I get a huge severance package and it got me into my furniture refinish/restore/remodel biz and also i had money to buy my own guitar!! So i went to GC in Hollywood up on Sunset Blvd. and .... bought my first real guitar of my own. It was 1994. I bought this one.....

2fzUD7.jpg

With one of the best Guild labels ever written....

BrLQsY.jpg

And that is when I started playing seriously. Well, as serious as I get.... So that's about 25 years of casual playing and getting hooked on the whole guitar thang. It's a thing that I truly love and keeps me somewhat sane in a crazy world and it makes me happy.

I don't play because I'm good, just because i like it. Oh and singing. I love to sing. So that's my story!! :encouragement:

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tom, a D65S is a pretty impressive "first guitar"!

walrus