NGD Minus 2

beecee

Reaction score
No not the temps.

As I sit here I just received an email that a very cold box just arrived at the GC about 20 minutes ago.

We have an annual company event here in CNY that will take me to meetings from 4:00 today until early Thursday.

So I wait 2 days. Nuff time to let the box come to room temp.

It's an F-30ce...or as TGC called it: Guild F30E7B1 Natural Acoustic Guitar.

Hans helped out a bit last week to ID it for me, said that was the factory designation for it.

In any event, it is somewhat similar to the F65CE, but blinged down considerably. Similar I would imagine to the JF-30-12 vs F-412.

Looked pretty in the pictures from GC. Nice maple back. Hope the description and in hand description are accurate. Not much info for this specific guitar as the pictures never got through from the salerep

Stay tuned!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool. Congrats. Technically this should be a ANGD (Almost NGD) or NQYNGD (Not Quite Yet NGD).

I’m curious to hear what the specs are on that, specifically the lower bout width and depth, and neck/nut width.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Cool. Congrats. Technically this should be a ANGD (Almost NGD) or NQYNGD (Not Quite Yet NGD).

I’m curious to hear what the specs are on that, specifically the lower bout width and depth, and neck/nut width.
It'd be like this one reported here http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?198442-Maple-F30-OM-OOO-size in post number 41

Here's a black F-30CE on the North Jersey CL (in Kearney) for $650 asked.

Usual disclaimers: Not mine, don't want it, no interest, etc ....

Just to be clear that's a 16" lower bout maple archback with 24-3/4" scale and full 24 fret (2 octave) neck, most likely 1-5/8" nut if it's at "spec".
3" deep.
And pretty darn rare, I think this is only the 3rd one I've ever seen. (Well, probably 4th, now)
And yes as far as I can tell it IS a blinged-down version of the first version of the F65ce, came out a year earlier.
Maybe more correct to say the F65ce was a blinged-up F30ce.
Assuming no major condition issues pretty sure $650's a great price, especially with unusually-sized original case.

Oh, yeah, @Beecee:
Congrats!
Do you still have that F4ce in your sig?
This oughta be an interesting comparison, both for body wood and scale length.
Would like to hear the report.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool , I'll be waiting for updates .

beecee

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, @Beecee:
Congrats!
Do you still have that F4ce in your sig?
This oughta be an interesting comparison, both for body wood and scale length.
Would like to hear the report.

I do. Actually had it out the other night and plugged it in. I don't play enough through an amp anymore...fun fun.

I was interested in selling the F$CE at a show locally last year. kinda glad I didn't.

SPECS:

Courtesy GUILD FS4612CE

MODEL: F30CE electro/acoustic, single Florentine Cutaway
INTRODUCED: 1992
CONTINUED: Current 1994
BODY: Maple back and sides, arched back
TOP: Spruce, oval soundhole, bound top and back
NECK: Maple
FINGERBOARD: Rosewood with dot inlays; 24 frets
SCALE: 24 3/4 inches
HEADSTOCK: Tapered style. Guild and Chesterfield emblems
SIZE: 16 inches wide, 3 inches deep.
FINISH: Natural, sunburst, black; gold-plated hardware
COMMENTS: Fishman transducer, controls on the upper shoulder

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
She is here. Boy I am really starting to fall for that thin neck, narrow nut. The F-112 was still there and I played that a bit but gosh what great little guitars these FXX CE's are

DVTU95R.jpg
[/IMG]

Cool Case

Top is stunning..rich amber, mellowed by time and based on the odor, 4,235 packs of Marlboros

kYi6CRd.jpg
[/IMG]

beecee

Reaction score
Loads of bridge and saddle

qqqrzoO.jpg
[/IMG]

7VyGpzL.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice grain to the top

tQCpftF.jpg
[/IMG]

beecee

Reaction score
Those streaks are flash, not blems. Just some minor lacquer crazing

uhC9g3x.jpg
[/IMG]

beecee

Reaction score
NOW THE "BAD" NEWS. Sound hole crack.

Pretty solid, I don't see much going on underneath

j3a5eZr.jpg
[/IMG]

Had the 9volt battery floating around. Plugged in sounded a bit dusty but got everything quieted down.

Unplugged, it has some really horrible strings but I like it. I cannot wait to put some new strings and A/B it with the F4CE and Songbird.

beecee

Reaction score
Surprised to see it had laminated sides as well as back.

Interesting streaks in the maple back.

beecee

Reaction score
Odd,

Have it sitting here in my office and I turned to grab a file and I noticed a heck of a lot more crazing on the front than I noticed earlier.

Been at GC for 3 days, and it is in the 50's here so I doubt it was me.

I have the weirdest luck...or lack of...with guitars.

Gotta think this one over.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Odd,

Have it sitting here in my office and I turned to grab a file and I noticed a heck of a lot more crazing on the front than I noticed earlier.

Been at GC for 3 days, and it is in the 50's here so I doubt it was me.

I have the weirdest luck...or lack of...with guitars.

Gotta think this one over.
I see checks around the Bridge and fair amount on the lower bout .
Clear coat missing from the upper bout along the banding .

I see something on the back that could trick of the light but that's it . Need to have better pics and more of them .

My non ask for 2 cents is if you can bond with it ? Then get a discount/refund that makes you look the other way and add the checks to mojo and antique'n and play the poo out of it . 😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh, 3-pc neck, also just like F65ce!
Impressive!
BTW you ever told us you were a vampire, but your hand's a dead giveaway.....(so to speak)....
:glee:
And joking aside, you mentioned "horrible strings" *** and it occurred to me I have no clue what those might have been shipped with.
I know the long-scale F65e's got extra lights (.010-.047) but with the short scale requiring less tension they might have been ok with regular lights .012-.053...but I absolutely wouldn't go any heavier, and maybe even use the Custom Light .011-.052's.
That's actually what I've been using on my F65ce for a couple of years, and even tune down a whole step for about the past year, after Marcellis tried it on his and suggested it.
Not sure if that'd work well on the shorter scale though.
Intend to try some of the Martin Silk'n'Bronze next, attempting to tone down the jangle that's evident in recording from head-on.
Discovered over the weekend also that it records best from off -center (!):
Sounds the most like how I hear it when the GF is recording a couple of feet back from just over the right shoulder at an angle that lets her get the fretboard in the frame.
Who'da thunk it'd make such a difference and even sound better from so far off-center?

***I'm noticing those appear to be silver and wonder if they're D'A Silk'n'Steels which have silver-plated copper windings?

EDIT:
Y'know I just noticed the label says "F30e" and in fact the s/n charts also show "F30" as the model number beginning in '94; and using the same "AF" type prefix as the F65ce..talk about model number confusion!

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
Re my hand., (can't seem to reply with quote from phon)

Take a peek at my right hand in my D26 NGD.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's a cool guitar. I could live with the checking but the crack into the sound hole would bother me. But I loves me some maple Guilds.