That SMELL!!

bronzeback

Reaction score
The rosewood on my 2012 D55 SMELLS AWESOME. I've owned more than a few rosewood guitars and I gotta say, it's a stronger smell than I've experienced before. Sometimes I'm walking through the room where she hangs on the wall and my nose catches a whiff. Of course then I'm playing for the next 45 minutes while forgetting what I was walking through the room for. That is all, carry on.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Several years ago we had a thread on "do you smell your guitar?". The consensus was "yes, I do!"

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My Wilborn ABW has an amazing smell . It has a sound port so I get scent the whole time I play hope it stays around for a long time . 😊

beecee

Reaction score
Ya know, that F-30R I bought from RichardP had a wonderful smell I could not put my fingers on. Meant to ask what type of polish he may have used.

Perhaps it is the N Hartford rosewood, but I don't notice it on my F-512...or maybe I need to pull that out more often.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ya know, that F-30R I bought from RichardP had a wonderful smell I could not put my fingers on. Meant to ask what type of polish he may have used.

Perhaps it is the N Hartford rosewood, but I don't notice it on my F-512...or maybe I need to pull that out more often.

My NH F-30RCE smells great! I know I'm only smelling the wood, though...

walrus

Br1ck

Reaction score
My Martin 00 16 custom 12 fret delights me every time I open the case. The hog aroma is special.

F312

Reaction score
I love the smell of soundhole in the morning, whiff away.

Ralph

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My Martin 00 16 custom 12 fret delights me every time I open the case. The hog aroma is special.

How would you describe the hog smell my F212 has a scent but to me it smells like stinky socks kind of musky in a way . Lol

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Several years ago we had a thread on "do you smell your guitar?". The consensus was "yes, I do!"

walrus

Smelling your guitar(s) is part of the fun! For the record, my '87 D50 smells the best of all my gee-tars!
Tony

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This is a cool coincidence as a few days ago I pulled out my N.H. GSR D50 Cocobolo from the case for the first time in a long while. Upon opening the case I was immediately hit with the scent of Roses and Vanilla. I get the same smell out of my Brazilian Guilds but the aroma is strongest from the GSR D50. I wish I could bottle that aroma of fine rosewood and Nitro Lacquer finish as I'm sure you could make a small fortune selling different guitar scents. There is bound to be more folks like us out there that get lost in the smell of their guitars and the memories those scents immediately invoke when smelling them. Of course there are also plenty of guitar smells I would like to never again smell as well, LOL! It ain't always Vanilla and Roses!

TX

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
With old guitars it's a woody mustiness that's like the finest of colognes to me...

A recently acquired (NOS vintage MIJ) Rosewood fingerboard Tele neck reeked so bad of "perfume" I almost returned it to the guy... I let it air out for days, kinda blew the lid off the project with significant other, it laid here and there on the back porch and other places for days (and nights), airing out, til I got the rest of the parts for the project.

Didn't do any good.

I even washed the fingerboard down with Rosemary oil, trying to mask the smell, it faded away and the "perfume" stayed...

Then I found out that's why they call it Rosewood ;-)

The whole Tele smells "like a cheap wh*rehouse" to quote the old timers when I grew up, and I even have the smell on my hand when I'm done playing.

That was some mighty fine Rosewood they found when they built that neck. I've never experienced anything like it before, because I've never had any new guitars maybe?

I think now, if that smell fades, I'll be sad.