Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing song files in Word docs

Sharing song files in Word docs

So I have all these cover songs I have typed on Word docs, with chords as interpreted by me. If I wanted to share some of them here, would it be a copyright violation? Unfortunately, I think it would be a violation. I'm OK performing them for free, but publishing them apparently enters into a different realm.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Blog Entries
    I'm not a lawyer, I only play one on LTG. Given the proliferation of sites with guitar tabs, chords, lyrics and midi renditions of complete songs, I suspect there is no copyright issue. Indeed one site says
    All content on this page is the property of the copyright owner of the original composition
    . If these are published for educational purposes that is allowed under copyright "fair use". The only scenario where I would see an issue would be if they were being performed, in public, in a venue that was not in compliance with performance licensing.

I don't think sharing them here would be a problem, especially if you put them in a file that is hosted elsewhere, as opposed to pasting the contents into a post. You could always stick that disclaimer on your pages or posts...
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

I wouldn't open a Word doc I downloaded from the Internet. If I were you I'd print them as PDFs and share those.
    '70s: [ S70 | S300ADs ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    '90s: [ S100 | X160 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000s | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R | X500T | D55 ]
    '10s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 | D55 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    I wouldn't open a Word doc I downloaded from the Internet. If I were you I'd print them as PDFs and share those.
    If I'm understanding your comment correctly, I didn't download them on the internet, I created them from scratch in Word on my laptop.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    If I'm understanding your comment correctly, I didn't download them on the internet, I created them from scratch in Word on my laptop.
    I'm saying that if you publish a word doc, I won't download it. This is probably a paranoia thing on my part that stems from the days of people getting macro viruses in Word, but I won't download docs/spreadsheets/etc. from the Internet.

Also, not everyone has Microsoft Word, but every modern OS can read PDF files.
    '70s: [ S70 | S300ADs ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    '90s: [ S100 | X160 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000s | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R | X500T | D55 ]
    '10s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 | D55 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    I'm saying that if you publish a word doc, I won't download it. This is probably a paranoia thing on my part that stems from the days of people getting macro viruses in Word, but I won't download docs/spreadsheets/etc. from the Internet.

Also, not everyone has Microsoft Word, but every modern OS can read PDF files.
    ^^^What he said......
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Even on their phones.....
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Yep. "Save As..." PDF and share them in that format. Via e-mail or from some download site. I think as long as you do not make money with the material, you would be OK, legally. If you charged per copy, that could be an issue.
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55
    2016 Guild NS X175 Sunburst

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    So I have all these cover songs I have typed on Word docs, with chords as interpreted by me. If I wanted to share some of them here, would it be a copyright violation? Unfortunately, I think it would be a violation. I'm OK performing them for free, but publishing them apparently enters into a different realm.
    Posting them here isn't publishing. For courtesy and clarity, just put the name of the songs' writers under the song titles.

Keep in mind also that copyright rules are not about medium. Giving someone your transcriptions electronically is no different than handwriting a transcription on a cocktail napkin and handing it to a friend in a bar. That's obviously not a copyright violation, right?

Copyright laws have everything to do with money and nothing to do with communication. That's why you can put cover songs on demos. You're not selling the demos, your giving them to people so they can hear how you sound. And if they hire you to play or record, it's because they like your sound.

If you were asking people to pay for your transcriptions, that's when you would need permission from the copyright holders. But you're not.

And actually, you have it backwards. Performing them can be a problem. If you perform a copyrighted song in a pub or restaurant that isn't licensed for it, then you and the venue are infringing on the creator's copyright. That's why unlicensed venues often insist that musicians only play original or public domain music.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-11-2019 at 01:44 PM.

And, almost every cover song that I can think of has several different chord charts or tabs on several different sits. Often with wrong chords or lyrics though. And most seem to draw from the same data base as they all make the same mistakes.

I'm not saying not to share yours, just saying there is a good chance they are already easily accessible.