Wow, lookee here! Guild D-40 Traditional Deluxe from Sweetwater

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's interesting! According the neckblock marking a "D-40T DELUXE" ! The first "dealer special" model from the Oxnard factory. (Sweetwater calls her GSR, but GSR is not on the marking).
So what is "Deluxe" here? What I found:

1) Upgraded Rosette (Abalone)
2) Centerstrip on back vs. no on the "standard D-40 Traditional"
3) Bound fingerboard (tortoise) vs. unbound.
4) MOP Block markers vs. MOP dot markers on fingerboard.
5) Headstock veneer Rosewood vs. black
6) AAA Sitka top vs. Sitka.
7) Additional 4 ply black/white body binding

I like it that they didn't go all the way to the "D-55" appointments (G-shield, railroad bound fretboard, triangle markers) but kept the appointments close to the "GSR" tradition from New Hartford.
Looks good to me!

1603549221465.png

1603549267188.png

Ralf

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This would seem to be a wicked good buy, if you are into sunburst, AAA-top wood, big markers and all...

Nice! Since when did Guild start/return to the teardrop burst? I heartily approve!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Soundhole looks bigger, probably the pic.

I like it!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just using a straight-edge on screen images, it appears the sound hole is the same on all the Traditionals...I agree though that at first I thought the Deluxe's was bigger. Looks even bigger than the regular D40. Someone with better screen skills should try to measure them, but I would guess they are all the same...

Another thing I just noticed, although the tuner buttons have that "Waverly" profile, they are not the Gotoh's of the other's...

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another thing I just noticed, although the tuner buttons have that "Waverly" profile, they are not the Gotoh's of the other's...
The "normal" D-40 Traditional (as all other 20-40 series US models) have the same 20:1 unmarked "Guild" tuners. No idea who makes those 20:1 versions. Only the 55 series guitars are using 15:1 Gotoh SE700 tuners.
Ralf

Last edited:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Ralf, I couldn't come up with that Gotoh model number quickly...Gurujr had sent it to me long time ago, but my old emails are somehow corrupted.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Ralf, I couldn't come up with that Gotoh model number quickly...Gurujr had sent it to me long time ago, but my old emails are somehow corrupted.
I just looked in the specs on the Guild webpage! Also Oxnard might use different parts compared what Kim knew from NH.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooooh, nice hog!
Oh yes! It says: "solid African mahogany back and sides" but the question is which kind of African mahogany. I guess some kind of Khaya (Khaya anthotheca, K. grandifoliola, K. ivorensis, K. senegalensis).
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If they offered this on a D-55, I'd bite immediately!
Ask Sweetwater! Maybe they can order a D-55 like you want! Seems like they have enough buying power to request custom things. On the other hand it would be interesting to test this D-40TDL against a new D-55 ! I probably would prefer the D-40TDL sound. Who knows.
Ralf

rwmct

Reaction score
Oh yes! It says: "solid African mahogany back and sides" but the question is which kind of African mahogany. I guess some kind of Khaya (Khaya anthotheca, K. grandifoliola, K. ivorensis, K. senegalensis).
Ralf

I would have thought, for a special order, they would use actual mahogany.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Honduran hog would be nice, but then it would be a $3k guitar. A blinged up hog/spruce guitar has a market, I believe. Love the look and the inlay.