Wow, lookee here! Guild D-40 Traditional Deluxe from Sweetwater

Tico

Reaction score
Generally I'm not a sunburst fan but that guitar is a real beauty!
Love the wood headplate and the Chesterfield logo with the stripes in it.

My first Guild (in the early 70s) was a fantastic D-40, but I had to sell it to afford the D-55 I bought in 77.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My debt ceiling tells me no but I don't listen real well so this one is going to have a new home in Barton City, Michigan. I hope she likes it here. Last day of the 48 month no interest financing deal so I just said what the heck. Sweetwater now has to charge sales tax on all sales but they agreed to eat $100 of the total tax and I thought that was pretty decent of them.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard:
Do you ever go a month and one or several of your guitars gets no playing time or do you get on "kicks" where you set goals to play each of them at least once in a month's time?
Cannot imagine what individual sounds you hear - You 'D Man!
Congratulations on another beatiful guitar. Let us know how it sounds and plays.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My debt ceiling tells me no but I don't listen real well so this one is going to have a new home in Barton City, Michigan.
The thing to do is decide on something they never built for a grail guitar, like my current pipe dream:
An F47rce with a 24-3/4" scale and 1-11/16 nut.
With sealed tuners.
I don't care if it's got a G-shield on the headstock but fretboard inlays'd be nice.
Heck even that new variegated ebony for the fretboard'd be ok.
The elusive detail seems to be that shortscale neck with 1-11/16 nut, as far as I can tell it was only ever available on some electrics.
So as long as Oxnard isn't taking orders for customs builds of one, I'm safe.
:glee:
Still,
Congrats on the D40!
If money and space were no object I'd probably be just like you!
Even my girlfriend understands why I've got 3 different guitars, she wouldn't have a problem.

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
Congrats on the new D-40 - you shouldn't have to wait too long for that one to arrive - let us know what you think about it

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Richard!
I love their website, they show they still have 4 of them in inventory and when you click "Compare all 4" they show the 4 next to each other and than you can click "Front", "Angle", "Full" or "Back" and they all turn at the same time so one can choose the best looking. Awesome feature!
Ralf

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks Ralf. I should receive it tomorrow and am really looking forward to it. The D 40 has always been one of my most favorite Guild models. This one is pretty special with its unique board inlays etc. There were only either 14 or 15 of them made, all for Sweetwater. I very seldom buy new gear but I wanted this one.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard:
It is a beautiful guitar! A "classy" looker and my feeling is it will play and sound, equally, impressive.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I received the guitar yesterday and let it sit overnight to acclimate to Michigan temps. I popped the case this morning. I know some of this is the euphoria of getting a brand new, shiny guitar but there's more to it than that in this case.

First off, the D 40 is one of my most favorite Guild models. I have 4 of them now. One is a Westerly 1972 that I've had to put loads of work and money into but is a great guitar so I'm fine with that. I also recently picked up a Westerly 1975 D 40C. It also needed work, the fingerboard was separating from the neck and had to be re-glued, it needed a new saddle and some fret work. It's with my Luthier now waiting for me to pick up. A third is a NH built beautiful burst marked as a 2nd. I don't know why because it looks perfect to me and more importantly sounds great.

Which brings me to this D 40T Custom I just received. It really is a beautiful guitar. This is one of either 14 or 15 (can't remember which) produced specifically for Sweetwater. The original post shows pics from Sweetwater that are better than anything I can do if you'd like to see it. It is really light and really easy on the eyes. The sound/tone/volume is pretty impressive and this may turn out to be my most favorite D 40 yet. I know many took/are taking a wait and see attitude toward Oxnard built guitars. I'm a believer myself. I have four of them now and each one is really good. I think they got it right.

Also, as a seller Sweetwater really does get it.. When you call your sales rep he/she actually know what they're talking about, they patiently answer questions, they are price competitive, they pack really well and ship quickly and their follow up is superb.

Anyway, I seldom buy new guitars but in this case I'm truly happy I did.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glad it fits your wants. Was anticipating it would and I, too, think Oxnard is doing it right. Played an Oxnard D40 Traditional and really liked it

Greenstar

Reaction score
Well, I received the guitar yesterday and let it sit overnight to acclimate to Michigan temps. I popped the case this morning. I know some of this is the euphoria of getting a brand new, shiny guitar but there's more to it than that in this case.

First off, the D 40 is one of my most favorite Guild models. I have 4 of them now. One is a Westerly 1972 that I've had to put loads of work and money into but is a great guitar so I'm fine with that. I also recently picked up a Westerly 1975 D 40C. It also needed work, the fingerboard was separating from the neck and had to be re-glued, it needed a new saddle and some fret work. It's with my Luthier now waiting for me to pick up. A third is a NH built beautiful burst marked as a 2nd. I don't know why because it looks perfect to me and more importantly sounds great.

Which brings me to this D 40T Custom I just received. It really is a beautiful guitar. This is one of either 14 or 15 (can't remember which) produced specifically for Sweetwater. The original post shows pics from Sweetwater that are better than anything I can do if you'd like to see it. It is really light and really easy on the eyes. The sound/tone/volume is pretty impressive and this may turn out to be my most favorite D 40 yet. I know many took/are taking a wait and see attitude toward Oxnard built guitars. I'm a believer myself. I have four of them now and each one is really good. I think they got it right.

Also, as a seller Sweetwater really does get it.. When you call your sales rep he/she actually know what they're talking about, they patiently answer questions, they are price competitive, they pack really well and ship quickly and their follow up is superb.

Anyway, I seldom buy new guitars but in this case I'm truly happy I did.

I would love to hear your feedback on this guitar after more than a year of ownership. I am looking at one that Gruhns is selling and I really like the sound clips of the Oxnard traditionals. I haven’t been able to play one yet so your opinion would be much appreciated.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I like it just as much now as I did when I 1st got it. In fact, I like it so well I bought a 2nd one. It has a serial # that is the very next one sequentially to the 1st one I bought. Actually, the real reason I bought it was because I picked it up for $1,100 and I just couldn't pass that up. However, it did have an issue the seller disclosed before I bought it. The Truss Rod was broken.

My local Luthier has had some luck with being able to repair broken truss rods without removing the fingerboard. I had hoped he could do that on this one as well. Turns out, he could not so he removed the board and installed a new truss rod. That worked out fine except that some of the glue/adhesive he used slopped over onto the neck and I can't live with that on this guitar. There were also a few scratches on the neck from where he removed the board. Nothing egregious but it is there.

So, it is one of 3 guitars I have needing some work that will be going to Tom Jacobs in Florida for repair/correction. I'll likely sell or trade that one after I get it back. There is zero doubt in my mind that one will be hard pressed to see any signs of the work done once Tom completes the cosmetic repair. His work is superb!

I can't speak for anybody else but I believe this is a really fine Guild model and that the folks at Oxnard got it right. I for one am more than happy with the guitar.

Greenstar

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. I may plan a trip up to Gruhns this week to play the one they have in stock or I might just roll the dice and purchase without playing it first. I’m also looking at a few D18s locally but in the D40 clips I’ve heard the Guild just has something extra tone wise.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've owned several D 18's in my life and they are fine guitars. I enjoyed all of them. But, at least for me, the D 40 is a better sounding and looking guitar. I know there is some bias built in here because I just believe Guild offers the best product at the best price of any USA Manufacturer. I've sold off 100% of my Martins. I still have 5 or so Gibsons but everything else is Guild. I'm not putting down any Manufacturer by the way, I think they all do a fine job and Brand preference is a very personal thing I believe. I just chose to concentrate on Guild.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, I also took in a New Hartford D 40 in trade a while back. It is a superb guitar as well. If you run across one of those in your travels, it would be worth your consideration as well. I can't remember ever having a "bad" guitar, regardless of model, that ca,e out of the New Hartford facility.

Greenstar

Reaction score
I've owned several D 18's in my life and they are fine guitars. I enjoyed all of them. But, at least for me, the D 40 is a better sounding and looking guitar. I know there is some bias built in here because I just believe Guild offers the best product at the best price of any USA Manufacturer. I've sold off 100% of my Martins. I still have 5 or so Gibsons but everything else is Guild. I'm not putting down any Manufacturer by the way, I think they all do a fine job and Brand preference is a very personal thing I believe. I just chose to concentrate on Guild.

I traded an 89 Martin HD28 for my 2005 F50R and couldn't be happier. I'm down to one Martin, an OM35 which i really like, it's a phenomenal guitar. I have several Gibsons myself but I really want something to compliment my Hummingbird. I love the tone of mahogany and the D40 seems to have a much different voicing than my Gibson. The Guild seems to be a lot more powerful and dynamic. Then again I'm relying on YouTube sound clips.

Greenstar

Reaction score
BTW, I also took in a New Hartford D 40 in trade a while back. It is a superb guitar as well. If you run across one of those in your travels, it would be worth your consideration as well. I can't remember ever having a "bad" guitar, regardless of model, that ca,e out of the New Hartford facility.

I am also looking at a New Hartford model on Reverb right now. The new Traditional Deluxe has got me intrigued at the moment however.