Looking for good headphones

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Started getting into electrics and the family is demanding that I play through headphones ONLY ! Or use my shed. I would do that but it’s about 30* outside . Needless to say that’s not going to happen 😳
i guess they aren’t to thrilled with my current playing. I keep telling them that I can only get better.
Sometimes I wish my kids would move out.....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry, I don't do demands; buy them some foam earplugs, LOL. But actually
I would opt for lightweight headphones or maybe earbuds.
Back in the mid 70's I bought a set of "Ampliphones," headphones with a built-in amp that plugged into the guitar with a coily cable. Problem is it had about 10% harmonic distortion.

Last edited:

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Grado headphones are serious hifi equipment. If you are looking for more affordable and pretty good sounding ear cans: try AKG K92

Markus :smile:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Headphones are a deep subject. Grados have their own sound that not everyone likes, myself included. I greatly prefer Senheisser headphones.

What are you plugging them into? That matters quite a bit as impedance matching can be important when buying headphones. If you buy 300-Ohm headphones and don't drive them with a proper amp then you won't hear much or you'll hate the sound.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have played my Yamaha Silent Guitar into headphones, but that is from it's built in jack. Some guitar amps have headphone outs. That would be simplest. I would think you would need some sort of impedance matching device to plug into from your guitar, then pedals, then headphone amp then headphones.

jcwu

Reaction score
I swear by the Sony MDR-7506. I think I have two or three pairs of them. One of them I've owned since the mid '90s, and I just recently replaced the deteriorating foam padding.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Started getting into electrics and the family is demanding that I play through headphones ONLY ! Or use my shed. I would do that but it’s about 30* outside . Needless to say that’s not going to happen 😳
i guess they aren’t to thrilled with my current playing. I keep telling them that I can only get better.
Sometimes I wish my kids would move out.....

If your using them for jamming then might I suggest ,
https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=Headphones

I have the DJ ones , they sound great .
Their my fav place to shop .
I buy all my cables TRS ,XLR,HDMI , phone charging cables etc all great stuff and good quality. Most cases they cost way less then others .
I also bought 4 mics and a fender strat copy for 69 bucks and the whammy even stays in tune ! Holy cow ! plays great also lol .
I also bought a stereo tube hybrid amp sounds real good to :) oh and a sport cam . Guess that's it so far lol