new build Guild D-20

tje1

Reaction score
I decided to get a new one these rather than take the risk of buying second hand.

It's all mahogany construction, made in Oxnard, USA. I don't know much about guitars but I previously had a Martin D-16 which I gave to a girlfriend(now since departed).

I would say it compares very well with the similar price Martin. The Martin sounded a bit brighter but this could be down to the Guild's all mahogany build.

THE D-20 has a warm, rich tone which was somewhat lacking in the Martin(although this was a very competent guitar), it sounded a bit metallic in comparison.

I appreciate the fact that Guild uses natural materials on the bridge and saddle like proper wood and bone rather than the synthetic materials used in Martin's of this price range. I am assuming this must make a difference to the sound - a bit like wearing cotton rather than nylon

It does not have much in the way of bling apart from the vintage style open tuners. It is surprisingly light.

Any criticisms? - The string spacing appears to be narrower than the Martin making it slightly more difficult to play, I also had concerns about the upheaval caused by Guild's factory location change to Oxnard but at first glance this appears unjustified because the fit and finish appears very good.

I would recommend it as a very versatile, good value guitar particularly if you are paying US prices(rather than British).

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm with you on just about everything you said. I also had a D 20 when they were 1st being made. I really liked that guitar a lot. A good bang for the buck I would say. I had to sell it to fund another unforeseen expense (I hate when that happens) but I'll get another at some point. I have 3 other Oxnard built models as well and each of them are a real joy to play. Any concern I may have had about Oxnard built guitars has left my head and now it's even emptier than usual.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
tje1, congrats on the new D20. I lived with one for a few months
but found I preferred the tone of a somewhat similar guitar, an all-hog flat-back Corona-era D25.
Also had a Martin D16, the RGT variant, was my go-to guitar for a time, but sold it to get another Guild :emmersed:

D2z4eN.jpg

jwsamuel

Reaction score
I used to have a Guild D50 that had narrow string spacing. The nut had plenty of room on the outsides of the 6 and 1 strings. I took it to a luthier and she installed a new nut with wider string spacing. It was much easier to play.

Jim

Grassdog

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new D-20. It's a fine choice and I'm sure it will bring many years of enjoyment

tje1

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. My only other criticism is that it does not seem particularly loud for a dreadnought particularly with finger picking, but this was not what I was looking for and it may be because it is new and the strings are stiff.