RIP Jim Dunlop

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Pick "guru" Jim Dunlop died yesterday. I'm guessing many of us use one of his picks! Ultex triangle.6 for me...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Not to mention all the effects pedals his company has designed or reissued. Most of my MXR gizmos are Dunlop recreations of '70s classics.

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
His tortex 2.0mm literally changed my attack on the Br and essential salvaged that dread that eventually become the only dread I currently own.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
daowgwyhw85zvvgai2ol.jpg

Thank you Jim.

GuildedCage

Reaction score
Guild Total
My all around go to pick: Dunlop ULTEX .73mm

A man of taste! Best acoustic picks I have tried. My favs are the Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3 xl's and the .73 Ultex for acoustics or rhythm on electric. I don't know what polymers they use in those Ultex picks but they are very hard to wear down! The color though, it blends well with floors and carpets alike, if you drop them they are harder to find than Waldo.:laughing:

GuildedCage

Reaction score
Guild Total
R.I.P Jim Dunlop. The classic Dunlop Cry Baby is hard to beat.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used the same Tortex 1mm pick for 10 years without losing it!

Now I use Tortex .5mm exclusively. Love 'em.

Dude had a huge impact.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
A man of taste! Best acoustic picks I have tried. My favs are the Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3 xl's and the .73 Ultex for acoustics or rhythm on electric. I don't know what polymers they use in those Ultex picks but they are very hard to wear down! The color though, it blends well with floors and carpets alike, if you drop them they are harder to find than Waldo.:laughing:

+ on the Jazz III XL's! They sound great with Ernie Ball Power Slinkys.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
I use Gator grip .71/.96 mostly, thumb pics, Mxr carbon copy, … fabulous little helpers!

RIP

Markus :smile:

tommym

Reaction score
RIP Jim....

Jim's basic white thumbpick has been my go-to thumbpick from day one. I've bought a truck load of the other thumbpicks over the years from other manufacturers and boutique shops in an attempt to find something better sounding and cooler looking, but I always come right back to Jim's basic white thumbpick.

Tommy

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
You might remember a while back I did a highly scientific study of picks made from various materials; i.e., I played them all on my D25M with medium phosphor bronze strings and I listened to them!:pride:

Anyway - ivory, ebony, brass, steel, etc...the best sound came from the good ol' Jim Dunlop nylon picks.