Maple F30 / OM / OOO size?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here's a black F-30CE on the North Jersey CL (in Kearney) for $650 asked.

Usual disclaimers: Not mine, don't want it, no interest, etc ....

Just to be clear that's a 16" lower bout maple archback with 24-3/4" scale and full 24 fret (2 octave) neck, most likely 1-5/8" nut if it's at "spec".
3" deep.
And pretty darn rare, I think this is only the 3rd one I've ever seen. (Well, probably 4th, now)
As far as I can tell it IS a blinged-down version of the first version of the F65ce (with the short scale neck), came out a year earlier.
Maybe more correct to say the F65ce was a blinged-up F30ce.
Assuming no major condition issues pretty sure $650's a great price, especially with unusually-sized original case.

jedzep

Reaction score
If you disconnect from your maple thing, Hans' suggestion of an early (pre-'70) F30 gives you the comfort and tone depth that would probably satisfy. I play an awesome 1950 Gibson J50, but still struggle to bond with it and enjoy comfortable handling, but when I put it down and grab my F30, the comfort zone (shoulder issues) returns. Just enough bass thump too.

That '56 on Reverb is just superb.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If you disconnect from your maple thing, Hans' suggestion of an early (pre-'70) F30 gives you the comfort and tone depth that would probably satisfy. I play an awesome 1950 Gibson J50, but still struggle to bond with it and enjoy comfortable handling, but when I put it down and grab my F30, the comfort zone (shoulder issues) returns. Just enough bass thump too.

That '56 on Reverb is just superb.

It just hit me that the F30ce might be one of the most confusing model numbers Guild ever issued, because of its similarity to the actual F30 model number.
But all the F--ce's were based on the 16" jumbo outline whereas the "real" F30 retained its roughly 15" width for the duration of its production (allowing for the fractions of an inch variation between the 2 outlines).
So not sure if you got thrown off by the specs on that F30ce, or if you just goofed while citing Hans' comment, since his advice was that a maple F30 could be had from the first half of the '50's, but nothing was said about different comfort levels between the "early" and later more "jumbo" shaped (post '70) versions.
I'd be surprised if a difference would be felt, but I do get why Mikey's interested in maple.
It's not going to punch up the midrange like 'hog.
On the other hand, he may find that it's not what he was hoping for after all.
I can vouch for its qualities in my F65ce, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m starting to think about what I might wat to look for in the coming year. Did Guild ever make a maple backed F30 size guitar that would be worth looking for? I don’t care for the sound of anything much smaller, and really can’t play anything too much larger, but it all depends. I tried searching the interweb and saw reference to a GSR F30 maple, but my guess is that would be a little pricey.

Reaction score
In 2011 Guild out of Hartford manufactured 20 GSR F30 Maple guitars. AAA Adirondack tops. I managed to get one from a little brick and mortar store in Hawkesbury, Ontario called Bobby Lalonde Music, when I had just started to take lessons. I was in the right place at the right time and had the funds.... $ 3000.00 CDN. I still have it and a Guild F512 that are played almost every day.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I do have a 1955 F 30 Maple in pretty nice shape for a 65+ year old guitar. I got in in a trade with another LTG member. It plays well right now but the saddle is nearly non-existent. I'll be shipping it to Tom Jacobs in the next couple of weeks to remedy that.

wileypickett

Reaction score
As noted, I played that GF-60 at Guitar Center a few years ago. Great (!) sounding guitar -- when one in good shape turns up, I highly, highly recommend it. Run, don't walk!

Around the same time I got to try out that GF-60, Walrus's offered his D64 for slae. (Maple sides and braced maple flatback.)

It needed work, but I got all its issues taken care -- the last one just within the past month or so -- and it may now be THE best sounding Guild dreadnaught I own.

I recently A / B'd it with my DV72 and my Brazilian rosewood D50, the two Guild dreads I previously considered top of the heap. The D64 more than holds its own, and it may even top them. (It's hard to emphatically say it's better, mainly because those guitars are so good and I love them so much, I don't want to hurt their feelings!)

But maple -- man!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know this thread has been resurrected from almost two years ago, but I just wanted Mike to know that IF you decide to branch out to another brand that the Bend Oregon built Breedloves are AMAZING GUITARS!! My Oregon Concert Rogue (the blue one) is spruce over Myrtlewood and what a great combination!! They're building some really nice guitars up there. Everyone here knew I was wanting one and then Tx messaged me with Sweetwater putting one on sale at $1699 from $1999 because the corner of the box was crushed a bit. Called immediately and was told it was in perfect condition just the box crumpled a bit. So I got a killer deal on a brand new amazing guitar that I play more than most of the others!! If you can try one, I think you'll get the idea!!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As noted, I played that GF-60 at Guitar Center a few years ago. Great (!) sounding guitar -- when one in good shape turns up, I highly, highly recommend it. Run, don't walk!

Around the same time I got to try out that GF-60, Walrus's offered his D64 for slae. (Maple sides and braced maple flatback.)

It needed work, but I got all its issues taken care -- the last one just within the past month or so -- and it may now be THE best sounding Guild dreadnaught I own.

I recently A / B'd it with my DV72 and my Brazilian rosewood D50, the two Guild dreads I previously considered top of the heap. The D64 more than holds its own, and it may even top them. (It's hard to emphatically say it's better, mainly because those guitars are so good and I love them so much, I don't want to hurt their feelings!)

But maple -- man!

Glad to hear it! 30+ years of playing that acoustic guitar only - the D64 has to be "opened up" as much as is possible!

But my shoulder is loving the playing of my F30RCE. We'll see if I live long enough to get 30+ years out of it...

walrus

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In 2011 Guild out of Hartford manufactured 20 GSR F30 Maple guitars. AAA Adirondack tops. I managed to get one from a little brick and mortar store in Hawkesbury, Ontario called Bobby Lalonde Music, when I had just started to take lessons. I was in the right place at the right time and had the funds.... $ 3000.00 CDN. I still have it and a Guild F512 that are played almost every day.

Here's some pics of one for sale in the UK...can't remember ever seeing one of these. Nice!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's some pics of one for sale in the UK...can't remember ever seeing one of these. Nice!

WOW!!! Adirondack spruce top and flat back. Beautiful maple!! Not cheap, for sure!! :love: