Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sloped Shoulder vs Dreadnought shape

Sloped Shoulder vs Dreadnought shape

Leave the visual aspect out. I realize most prefer Dread shaped shoulders on their acoustics but a few feel Sloped Shoulder win the "looks" battle.
    My questions to the forum are:
    1. Which sound do you prefer and why
    2. Does one "play" better
    3. Will one develop construction problems sooner - things like cracks, neck, bridge and saddle
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"
    2011 Chris Bozung CB "45" Brazilian Rosewood Dread

Hello

Good topic - but as I'm more a F-shape man - why not include them all?
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

1. Which sound do you prefer and why--Sloped, sounds woodier to me, larger, boomier. I had a J45 once, it was classic slope sound.

2. Does one "play" better--Square shaped dread, as it is easier on my right shoulder. Slopes seem to jut out a bit more and my cuff does not like it.

3. Will one develop construction problems sooner - things like cracks, neck, bridge and saddle--I cannot imagine there be a difference.
    Wood

1971 D25--The Br
    1973 D35 esh

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

Actually the slope shouder (I think?) is a derivation of the dread or vice versa but either way my preference is the slope. However, I have not read about any irregularities versus a regular dread. To my ears they sound quite similar but how do you really compare unless it is the same maker using the same materials and similar construction techniques.

As with all other similar lines of questioning: you simply must have one of each!
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

I prefer the look of a slope because it is a little different, dreads are the most common guitar out there. Beyond both of them, I prefer the look/shape of a typical OM or small jumbo, not so squared looking. Some claim the slope shoulder creates a bit of a warmer or smoother tone, which I do prefer for my style, mellow singing.

1994 Guild DV-62 Herringbone
    2004 Guild GAD-50 Burst
    Eastman AC422CE
    Eastman AC512OM
    Seagull Artist Studio Concert Hall Element OM Burst
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Caution: me singing a Christian song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfM4wJZUYoE

I prefer the dred look. I'm not sophisticated enough to tell the difference in sound. Of course, this doesn't apply to my many classics.
    Mark I- Hoboken, Mark II, Westerly, Mark III, Westerly, MarkIV, Hoboken, Mark V, Westerly, D4- Westerly, D25, Westerly, D212M, Westerly, G-37 Westerly, D-55 Westerly, Shinano 53, Oscar Teller 7/P, Estrada CL-2K,( first guitar), Mystery Classic, Garcia Classic, Gone but not forgotten; Martin D18, Gone and forgotten; Gibson C1 classic

The question is kind of broad and falls into categories that are hard to define. I think if you could find a company that made both styles with everything else being the same, you could test it yourself. But I don't know if that's possible or if any company does that. The dimensions and the shape of the upper bout are somewhat negligible in the overall sound of a guitar with other factors contributing more or less depending on whom you talk to. As far as easier to play, assuming they're the same in every detail and set up the same, again it's going to be a personal preference. Some will find comfort in one, while another will chose the other.

Taylor came out with it's new Grand Pacific slope shouldered dread with the new V-braced top and I'd like to find one somewhere to see what it sounds like. And before the Taylor haters come out of the woodwork and trash the company and their guitars, EFFING SAVE IT!!! I could care less what you think. I was just stating a personal preference to try one. So keep your vitriol to yourself on that count.

The broad answer to your broad question is, "It depends."
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Here's a bit of history: https://reverb.com/news/shoulder-to-...adnought-shape
    In general if you search on Google that topic was discussed in every guitar forum at some point in time...
    Ralf

I have owned both but as several of you have pointed out very difficult to answer unless same Maker, same Age, same Woods, same Strings, and same Setup. My sloped shoulder was a Mahogany Epiphone Masterbilt less expensive guitar but I loved the sound. And the Dread with squarer shoulders is my DV52. I love the looks of that guitar and the Rosewood sounds wonderful, also.
    I am thinking the guitars are both just fantastic and the difference is really me. My ears, hands and bones have earned the title of "Vintage" and my concern over shape of guitar body seems less a concern today.
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"
    2011 Chris Bozung CB "45" Brazilian Rosewood Dread