Sloped Shoulder vs Dreadnought shape

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Leave the visual aspect out. I realize most prefer Dread shaped shoulders on their acoustics but a few feel Sloped Shoulder win the "looks" battle.
My questions to the forum are:
1. Which sound do you prefer and why
2. Does one "play" better
3. Will one develop construction problems sooner - things like cracks, neck, bridge and saddle

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Good topic - but as I'm more a F-shape man - why not include them all?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
1. Which sound do you prefer and why--Sloped, sounds woodier to me, larger, boomier. I had a J45 once, it was classic slope sound.

2. Does one "play" better--Square shaped dread, as it is easier on my right shoulder. Slopes seem to jut out a bit more and my cuff does not like it.

3. Will one develop construction problems sooner - things like cracks, neck, bridge and saddle--I cannot imagine there be a difference.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Actually the slope shouder (I think?) is a derivation of the dread or vice versa but either way my preference is the slope. However, I have not read about any irregularities versus a regular dread. To my ears they sound quite similar but how do you really compare unless it is the same maker using the same materials and similar construction techniques.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
As with all other similar lines of questioning: you simply must have one of each!

billymox

Reaction score
I prefer the look of a slope because it is a little different, dreads are the most common guitar out there. Beyond both of them, I prefer the look/shape of a typical OM or small jumbo, not so squared looking. Some claim the slope shoulder creates a bit of a warmer or smoother tone, which I do prefer for my style, mellow singing.

westerlyborn

Reaction score
I prefer the dred look. I'm not sophisticated enough to tell the difference in sound. Of course, this doesn't apply to my many classics.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The question is kind of broad and falls into categories that are hard to define. I think if you could find a company that made both styles with everything else being the same, you could test it yourself. But I don't know if that's possible or if any company does that. The dimensions and the shape of the upper bout are somewhat negligible in the overall sound of a guitar with other factors contributing more or less depending on whom you talk to. As far as easier to play, assuming they're the same in every detail and set up the same, again it's going to be a personal preference. Some will find comfort in one, while another will chose the other.

Taylor came out with it's new Grand Pacific slope shouldered dread with the new V-braced top and I'd like to find one somewhere to see what it sounds like. And before the Taylor haters come out of the woodwork and trash the company and their guitars, EFFING SAVE IT!!! I could care less what you think. I was just stating a personal preference to try one. So keep your vitriol to yourself on that count.

The broad answer to your broad question is, "It depends." :devilish:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have owned both but as several of you have pointed out very difficult to answer unless same Maker, same Age, same Woods, same Strings, and same Setup. My sloped shoulder was a Mahogany Epiphone Masterbilt less expensive guitar but I loved the sound. And the Dread with squarer shoulders is my DV52. I love the looks of that guitar and the Rosewood sounds wonderful, also.
I am thinking the guitars are both just fantastic and the difference is really me. My ears, hands and bones have earned the title of "Vintage" and my concern over shape of guitar body seems less a concern today.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually the slope shouder (I think?) is a derivation of the dread or vice versa....

Right - the slope shoulder IS a dreadnought. So is a Gibson (and Epiphone) AJ - "advanced jumbo" - they're dreadnoughts. So it's just a question comparing slope shoulder and square shoulder. About that, I have no answers. :tiger:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have some of each. I can't tell that there is any significant difference in tone or volume but as many have pointed out that's hard to determine between two different guitars. Personally, I love the look of a slope shouldered guitar. My Gibson J 45's, at least to me, are really fine looking guitars.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does either body shape make it easier to access frets above the 12th than the other? I'd guess not but considering the contortions needed on a non-cutaway one shape might be easier on the wrist.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Seems a lot of folks like the slope shoulder design. Remember when you couldn't find a parlor guitar that wasn't a kid's beginner guitar. Now they are all over the place even the ones that aren'tr tryly parlors other than in name. There are a few slopes out there but not that many reasonably price ones that I am aware of other than Recording King, the Guild Memoir and the Blueridge which is on the higher side of the low (if there is such a thing) end.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here's a bit of history: https://reverb.com/news/shoulder-to-shoulder-the-debate-over-dreadnought-shape
In general if you search on Google that topic was discussed in every guitar forum at some point in time...
Ralf

Great read, and I never really registered that Gibson actually called their dreads "Jumbos"...explains why John Lennon called his J160e a "jumbo".

So keep your vitriol to yourself...
But...but.... it's your favorite color!:
123735-004-A683F283.jpg

(Copper sulphate is a sulphate salt of copper. It is also known as blue vitriol.)

ClydeTower

Reaction score
The biggest difference for me is comfort. The slope shoulder feels more compact to me. Plus its easy on the eyes :)

bobouz

Reaction score
Does either body shape make it easier to access frets above the 12th than the other? I'd guess not but considering the contortions needed on a non-cutaway one shape might be easier on the wrist.
Gibson round-shoulders are almost all short-scale (24.75"), which might make a bit of a difference for some folks (Gibson & Epi AJs and the Epi Texan are 25.5").

New this year is a J-45 Studio, with a slightly narrower body depth. A number of buyers have commented on how comfortable it is to play, along with having a very fine tone. Price is relatively easy on the wallet.

Personally, I prefer Gibson roundshoulders, not only visually & for the short-scale, but also for the signature dry & woody tone you find on a good one. When fingerpicked, there's a somewhat percussive nature that's very addictive. As much as I enjoy my Guild & Martin dreads, if necessary they would go in a heartbeat, and the Gibsons would stay. That said, in order to find a good one, you need to have played a lot of them to know what the best ones are capable of. Of course, one could typically say that about any model from Guild, Gibson, or Martin.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Gibson round-shoulders are almost all short-scale (24.75"), which might make a bit of a difference for some folks (Gibson & Epi AJs and the Epi Texan are 25.5").

New this year is a J-45 Studio, with a slightly narrower body depth. A number of buyers have commented on how comfortable it is to play, along with having a very fine tone. Price is relatively easy on the wallet.

Personally, I prefer Gibson roundshoulders, not only visually & for the short-scale, but also for the signature dry & woody tone you find on a good one. When fingerpicked, there's a somewhat percussive nature that's very addictive. As much as I enjoy my Guild & Martin dreads, if necessary they would go in a heartbeat, and the Gibsons would stay. That said, in order to find a good one, you need to have played a lot of them to know what the best ones are capable of. Of course, one could typically say that about any model from Guild, Gibson, or Martin.

Yep... +1