Dylan's Bringing It all Back Home...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bringing_It_All_Back_Home

This is the one Dylan album I own, actually a CD. I listen to it for days in a row while driving to and fro to work, about 2-3 times per year.
There are several songs I just find incredible achievements:

Subterranean Homesick Blues
Maggie's Farm
It's Alright Ma

And that song about Ahab etc, hilarious, forget its name.

It was recorded 2 full years before I was born. I probably like Freewheelin' Bob Dylan better, but not by much.

Antney

Reaction score
Blood on the tracks is his masterpiece

In my opinion he’s never done better

airplane

Reaction score
„Bob Dylan‘s 115th Dream“. That song is hilarious indeed. „Boys, forget the whale!“, so many lines in the song that still crack me up every time.. „It‘s Alright Ma“... Basically the first Rap song ever with words like bullets that hit you right in the brains.. Great album. I like Highway 61 a tiny bit better because every song on it is a masterpiece, but i can totally see why this was Hunter Thompsons favourite album.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I always loved and respected his work as a songwriter. Not many better than him. It was only in the last 10 years or so I really grew to love and respect his guitar playing abilities as well. There's been a lot of great ones, at least I think so like John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Bill Morrissey and Harry Chapin just to name a few. But Mr. Dylan ranks right up there in my humble opinion.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I always loved and respected his work as a songwriter. Not many better than him. It was only in the last 10 years or so I really grew to love and respect his guitar playing abilities as well. There's been a lot of great ones, at least I think so like John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Bill Morrissey and Harry Chapin just to name a few. But Mr. Dylan ranks right up there in my humble opinion.

I watched Towne's Be Here to Love me movie, and he talks about learning to play guitar better, with more sophistication, like Bob Dylan. So he knew of Dylan's interesting prowess on the acoustic as well. North Country Girl is a wicked example of his finger picking ability. it is brilliant.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I watched Towne's Be Here to Love me movie, and he talks about learning to play guitar better, with more sophistication, like Bob Dylan. So he knew of Dylan's interesting prowess on the acoustic as well. North Country Girl is a wicked example of his finger picking ability. it is brilliant.

If I ever knew it I'd forgotten but I noticed yesterday Kenny Rankin and even founding Lovin' Spoonful members John Sebastian and Steve Boone are listed as session men on Bringin' It All Back.
And personally even though I have some of the later stuff, I still like this early stuff the best.
How could we forget The Times They Are a-Changin'?
It's just not on Bringin' It All Back Home, but it is kinda eerie sometimes how similar Clay's and my tastes are, his 3 faves are right up there in my Dylan top 10, plus that tune, then throw on "Ballad of A Thin Man" and "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"
Surprising to some, I rate "I Want You" and "Lay Lady Lay" higher than "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Rainy Day Women", although that happened later in life.
In I probably like "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat" better than "Rainy Day Women"....@Cougar: I'd call Blonde on Blonde" the last one before he got all polished for Nashville Skyline
Whoopsie, forgot John Wesley Hardin, and does anybody here know BTW that Hendrix also covered "The Drifter's Escape" besides "All Along the Watchtower"?
2 examples of covers I prefer to the originals, that doesn't happen often.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Blood On The Tracks is my fav, mainly 'cuz it's the first Dylan album that came out after I was mature enough to really get it. The recent release of the entire "New York sessions" for the album is something I'd long hoped for…so many performance gems among the previously unreleased takes.

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's just not on Bringin' It All Back Home, but it is kinda eerie sometimes how similar Clay's and my tastes are, his 3 faves are right up there in my Dylan top 10, plus that tune, then throw on "Ballad of A Thin Man" and "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"
Surprising to some, I rate "I Want You" and "Lay Lady Lay higher than "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Rainy Day Women", although that happened later in life.

sound spot on to me Al :). I think we prefer when a song is more disonant or has some kind of edginess over say the more popular songs of an artist. i also struggle to listen to like a rolling stone all the way thru, it is just too monotonous. where as lay lady lay, while also a radio song, has some kind of ugliness to the progression.

re it's alright ma, i tried to learn that one and do a rendition of my own but i scrapped the project as i just was not sure where to begin. this is why dylan's guitar playing is so great however to me, for the way his notes on this song progress, you can tell he is not struggling at all. it is just his natural finger picking rythym. that is innate, you cannot really teach that. that is just sitting in a room and practicing, that is just playing gigs and practicing during the gig, growing. his voice, well...maybe not so much, but his lyrics and playing are what i find most captivating.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
sound spot on to me Al :). I think we prefer when a song is more disonant or has some kind of edginess over say the more popular songs of an artist. i also struggle to listen to like a rolling stone all the way thru, it is just too monotonous. where as lay lady lay, while also a radio song, has some kind of ugliness to the progression.

re it's alright ma, i tried to learn that one and do a rendition of my own but i scrapped the project as i just was not sure where to begin. this is why dylan's guitar playing is so great however to me, for the way his notes on this song progress, you can tell he is not struggling at all. it is just his natural finger picking rythym. that is innate, you cannot really teach that. that is just sitting in a room and practicing, that is just playing gigs and practicing during the gig, growing. his voice, well...maybe not so much, but his lyrics and playing are what i find most captivating.

Yeah I've got all of those on chart, (also forgot "It Ain't Me Babe"), and while I can usually figure out a nice basic strumming progression for anything, some of his stuff still baffles me, gotta have just the right amount of beer in me.....
:glee:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah I've got all of those on chart, (also forgot "It Ain't Me Babe"), and while I can usually figure out a nice basic strumming progression for anything, some of his stuff still baffles me, gotta have just the right amount of beer in me.....
:glee:

and i think for bob it was the right number of filterless cigarettes.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
But, what about Desolation Row??

I have the box of *Dylan's '66 UK shows, and this song is almost always a spellbinding highlight. Once he gets in the groove it seems like the song could keep going of it's own accord for hours. Visions Of Johanna is often like that too.

-Dave-

*and band

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But, what about Desolation Row??

Hello

I've been holding back on this thread - but now - Desolation Row . . .

One night about 15 years ago I woke up about 03.00 or so - for unknown reason I started to think about the lyrics of Desolation Row - it took quite a while - finally I could sleep again - next morning I checked - and there were only two lines that I had not remembered.

Do not ask me which two lines - they were in a row - somehow that verse was vague at the time.

Few years back he was in Finland - I went to see him - and low&behold - he played it. Some folks around me were quite astounded as I was singing along thru the whole song . . .

Early Dylan up to . . . maybe Slow Train Coming - with few not-so inbetween - and then later Time Out Of Mind - naturally I have all of them - how could I not have one - even some bootlegs from England in summer 74 - but not these new "collections" with million versions of studio rehearsals etc.

But yes! DYLAN !!!

p.s. CosmicArkie - thanks for referring what I have said . . . wish me luck - there might be a new something in horizon . . .

bobouz

Reaction score
Hwy 61 Revisited was the one that did it for me as a teenager. Still does it for me, too.

Also, forget about Lay Lady Lay & listen to the rest of Nashville Skyline. My second favorite Dylan album, with Bob's newfound country voice which was so surprising, and the sunburst J-200 he's holding on the cover that had me drooling for days!

Can't get much better than having Michael Bloomfield & Norman Blake as your session guys, huh?

bobouz

Reaction score
If I ever knew it I'd forgotten but I noticed yesterday Kenny Rankin and.....
Now there's a name that probably doesn't ring a bell for too many folks. Had a couple of his albums (before selling every LP a few years ago). I believe one was called Like A Seed.

Anyway, thanks Al, for that little blast from the past.