25 or 6 to 4 cover

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Holy cats that was awesome. One of my favorite songs and guitar solos of all time and those guys just crushed it!

F312

Reaction score
Where's the guitarist's sheet music?

Ralph

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
And a damned respectable cover at that! My favorite guitar solo of all time, Terry Kath on this song.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Talented bunch. Very well done cover!!! So in the video, is it suggesting that the parts were recorded separately by four groups?

Agreed on the comments about the drummer, but also agreed that they're all good! As a horn player.... yeah, they're all good! :)

Bernie

Reaction score
Won't revolutionize the industry, but quite nice to listen to still. But why only guitar lead work - 3 times I think - when there is a trumpet , 2 saxes, 1 trombone and so on...
I remember the late Terry Kath, still out of reach after all this time : Chicago has been a great band coz they had the skill, the creativity, and good songs...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Won't revolutionize the industry, but quite nice to listen to still. But why only guitar lead work - 3 times I think - when there is a trumpet , 2 saxes, 1 trombone and so on...
I remember the late Terry Kath, still out of reach after all this time : Chicago has been a great band coz they had the skill, the creativity, and good songs...

i never listened to them at all, i was way too focused on the Who. and this was the only song of theirs I would have ever known, and I never even knew what the title meant as a kid. it was gibberish.

is that guitar solo like infamous as far as guitar lore goes?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
just not a fan of the DD12 string plugged in sound. I would imagine even an F112 would sound bigger and hopefully a touch warmer.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
is that guitar solo like infamous as far as guitar lore goes?
Yeah.
You also want to hear their extended version of "I'm a Man" from the debut album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlh8HZy8HQ4
In an interview in '68 or '69, Hendrix named 2 people when the interviewer asked him who he liked among his contemporaries:
Terry Kath and Jimmy Page.
This was in a Guitar Player magazine long before the Walter Parazaider story quoting Hendrix as saying Kath was better then he was.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah.
You also want to hear their extended version of "I'm a Man" from the debut album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlh8HZy8HQ4
In an interview in '68 or '69, Hendrix named 2 people when the interviewer asked him who he liked among his contemporaries:
Terry Kath and Jimmy Page.
This was in a Guitar Player magazine long before the Walter Parazaider story quoting Hendrix as saying Kath was better then he was.

great drum solo in that song I am a man.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
https://youtu.be/q_dq5xuDP2A
great complidation of Kath songs

this is a brutal end:

January 23, 1978: Through an accidental self-inflicted fatal gunshot wound to the head, it all came to a screeching halt in a fraction of an instant for Terry Kath, 8 days before he was to turn 32 years young. According to official reports and eyewitness accounts:

Terry spent the afternoon at the Woodland Hills, CA home of band crew member Donny Johnson, visiting and drinking with friends. The party broke up and only Kath and Johnson remained. Terry took out two guns he was carrying. First he spun his .38 revolver on his finger like a western gunslinger. He brought the .38 to his temple, and pulled the trigger ... but the gun was not loaded.

Next, Terry picked up his 9mm semi-automatic pistol. Donny Johnson urged Terry to stop playing around and to put the guns away. Kath pulled the magazine out of the gun, placed the gun to his temple, declared the gun was not loaded and pulled the trigger. Due to a safety mechanism on this model, the 9mm did not fire; however, Terry re-inserted the clip, and upon doing so, the round in the chamber re-engaged.

Donny insisted that Terry stop fooling with the gun, to which Terry declared, "Don't worry. It's not loaded! See?" as he raised the pistol to his head. Terry pulled the trigger, and unlike the first time without the clip, the pistol did fire. The re-engaged round fatally wounded him; he died instantly.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wood, that is a truly awful story. Makes me very sad to think someone that creative could be that, well, childishly stupid.

Anyway, I was always a big Chicago fan, and the brass section was always a huge appeal to me.