So, uh, tell me about this '66 SFIII

GSFV

Reaction score
WOW!! Way cool! What a find. I don't know much about the vintage market, but it seems like a good price. Especially if you talked him down some like you say. What a beautiful guitar in good condition! Glad that everything is above board on the sale. Never know when someone is trying to pull a fast one. Which is a real shame.

But do you really have 40+ guitars? That is crazy! I'm not sure if I'm jealous or concerned. Haha.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

OK, he consistently writes about his.
I will admit I can't remember if you've added anything to your "history page" since the first time I read it over ten years ago.
(That story about the sacrificial Cameo 12-string, maybe?)
And yes I do know you periodically post your own NGD acquisitions.
But when's the last time we saw a good guitar vivisection from you?
:glee:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well I sort of "lost the keys" to my website. So I am unable to update it. There are only about half my guitars on there.

Since I got married, guitar acquisition has fallen off for a variety of reasons. One is love of travel. We like to "collect" states and see places we've never been before. I'm at 49 States and my Wife is at 46. After August where we will be traveling to Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Kansas, she will also be at 49. Then it will be off to Alaska for #50!!! Probably shouldn't say this on this board, but I must admit at this point in my life I enjoy spending money on traveling a lot more then on guitars.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
WOW!! Way cool! What a find. I don't know much about the vintage market, but it seems like a good price. Especially if you talked him down some like you say. What a beautiful guitar in good condition! Glad that everything is above board on the sale. Never know when someone is trying to pull a fast one. Which is a real shame.

But do you really have 40+ guitars? That is crazy! I'm not sure if I'm jealous or concerned. Haha.

Yes 40+, and the answer is that you should be both jealous and concerned.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Leave Grot alone. He's happy and there's nothing worse than that when it comes to collecting. :pride:

BTW GSFV, see that little 106 in Grot's sig? That's how many Guilds he's got.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW, see that 110 in Grot's sig? That's how many Guilds he has now that I reminded him to update that.

Last edited:

GSFV

Reaction score
Holy Sh ...COW.... That's a lot of guitars! I know what I will be reading later on. Looking forward to checking out the Guilds of Grot. I'm quite glad that to find all this out though. My wife gives me a hard time about my two electrics, and 1 (and a half) acoustics. I keep telling her that it isn't that many. So hopefully you guys can get me some more wiggle room. Haha. Maybe a NGD in my future. I guess we'll see.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looking inside the guitar I see this white spot:

Guild-1966-StarfireIII-GlueSpot.jpg

It looks like maybe some sort of glue? The inside of the f-hole has a similar residue all around it:

Guild-1966-StarfireIII-BoreScope-FHole.jpg

Is this a possible sign of a refin?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Is this a possible sign of a refin?
IF the original finish was removed with a chemical stripper, could well be.
Wicking would explain how it got inside the F-holes, and the spot could be a drop of the solvent with dissolved NCL in it which then dried again to that whitish look.
Another thing I notice in that blow-up is what appear to be fine sanding lines visible at the edges of the reflection.
Somehow I think Guild would've taken care that that kind of thing didn't show up in an original finish by using a finer finishing grade of paper or possibly even steel wool.
Also enough layers of lacquer with proper buffing between layers should have helped make that kind of stuff invisible.
I'd trust Davisman's ideas about that, based on his experience in furniture refinishing.
It just occurred to me that the micro-scratches could also be the result of poor polishing technique and/or materials, that could be another explanation for the residue.
Maybe even more likely.
Maybe tried to use an auto-type polish with a little bit too much cutting power?
Also:. micro-fiber cloths are NOT good for NCL.
The fibers are actually harder than NCL so can also cause that kind of damage.
Most compatible with NCL since after all it's almost pure cellulose itself:
Plain ol' (clean) white pure cotton t-shirt, and change it when it's dirty.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the Days of My Youth I was sloppy with some polish and the drips into the f hole looked very similar.

But the "interior" shot suggests there is more going on.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the Days of My Youth I was sloppy with some polish and the drips into the f hole looked very similar.

That may well be. When I pulled the pickup rings there was a lot of wax buildup that was the same white color and consistency. Someone REALLY loved waxing this guitar.

I would think those "sanding" lines may well be the result of aggressive polishing, too.

I've looked for other signs of refinishing where I'd normally look - along the binding, the neck joint, etc., and if this guitar was refinished whoever did it did a fabulous job, and I'd venture a guess that if it was done it was done a long time ago.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That may well be. When I pulled the pickup rings there was a lot of wax buildup that was the same white color and consistency. Someone REALLY loved waxing this guitar.

I would think those "sanding" lines may well be the result of aggressive polishing, too.

I've looked for other signs of refinishing where I'd normally look - along the binding, the neck joint, etc., and if this guitar was refinished whoever did it did a fabulous job, and I'd venture a guess that if it was done it was done a long time ago.

The color itself also looks original which one wouldn't expect in a refin.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought they were the same instrument...

Anyway, Gad, I know you prefer roller bridges, but you can get a genuine Bigsby saddle compensated for a plain G string

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/saddle-bigsby-bridge-new-polished

Ooh - nice. Have you bought this? Do the pole and strings spacings work on a Guild?

Yeah, works great. It's the same as the Bigsby saddle that came on the guitar, but made for a plain G.

Just a follow-up that the bridge absolutely did not fit. The post to post distance is different.

Guild-vs-Bigsby-Bridge.jpg