So, uh, tell me about this '66 SFIII

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
So it would appear that I bought this according to the confirmation emails I saw this morning. Thanks to a combination of sleep deprivation, cold medicine, and very good rum I don't remember any of it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Guild...Cherry-w-Original-Hardshell-Case/312462725407

s-l1600.jpg

Looks pretty good to me which in my properly conscious state raises some red flags but digging into the pics I don't see anything obviously wrong with it. I also apparently negotiated a deal because I did not pay what's shown on the page.

Years ago in the early days of eBay I had a "no eBay after 10pm" rule as I came home one day to discover an Israeli gas mask delivered that I had no recollection of ordering. Might be time to enforce that rule again...

Let me have it - did I do better in a drugged state than I do normally or should I have my computers all turn themselves off at 10pm?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It looks pretty cherry to me. I hope you got him down a bit, because I think that was overpriced, imho. No shots of the break angle over the bridge, that's a little disturbing.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom breaks ‘em, you buy ‘em. Could be worse for a drugged side effect.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom breaks ‘em, you buy ‘em. Could be worse for a drugged side effect.

I thought about that while posting. Guess buying a vintage guitar is better than falling on one.

I should be selling guitars not buying them!

Still, I'll now have a Hoboken, Corona, and Newark Street Starfire III to compare. Might need to get a Westerly to complete the set. To the NyQuil!

RunShadowFax.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations! This one looks to be in an unbelievable great condition!
Ralf

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It looks exceptionally clean in those pics, an original too. (though I'm not sure about the bridge, I'd have to see that up close). It's a pretty high price for a SFIII, but then I've never seen one that clean.

gilded

Reaction score
I had a '66 III with a 1 11/16ths neck. Liked it a lot.

Steve is right about the breakover angle, but after 30 years of fighting breakover problems, so what?

Almost all of those thin archtops need a neck set, but I wouldn't jack with it, because it will never be an invisible repair (my fave luthier pulled about a 2 inch strip off of the bass side laminate when the neck came off of my SFIII. Of course the finish on mine was so checked that no-one could tell!). You basically have to find one where the neck is already loose before you don't lose some value by going for the reset.

But you know, it doesn't matter, because the guitar is so cool the way it is. I would put a set of 11s on it, with a wound G, so the guitar will intonate reasonably well. There's a chance it will be a bit harder to play, but give it a try.

Have a great time with it, Gary.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all. I think I'm getting a sinus infection, so watch for more insane purchases. I mean more insane than normal.

Speaking of which I need to sell some guitars. I tripped over a case this morning, and if I'm literally tripping over guitars there's a problem.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
You've got to love a seller that proudly boasts of their no return policy.

However, it does look absolutely mint

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You've got to love a seller that proudly boasts of their no return policy.

However, it does look absolutely mint

Yeah, but from years on eBay I know that there's no such thing. If it's not as advertised I document that, open a case with eBay and PayPal and I get my money back.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The bridge adjusters look bottomed out on the base, but you could go a little lower if necessary by swapping 'em out for thin washers. Gotta watch the break angle over the saddle, of course. I had to do this on my '71 SG Deluxe (parallel neck/body geometry but without a correspondingly lower-profile bridge…one of Gibson's "oopsies") but the result is a great playing instrument.

-Dave-

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bring it down to the Nip-n-Tuck Bar & Grill in June and you can sit in with the NIGHT SHIFT band and rock it!

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all. I think I'm getting a sinus infection, so watch for more insane purchases. I mean more insane than normal...

Son, you just need to stop using your addiction to drugs and alcohol to cover up your real addiction.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"claimed addiction to drugs and alcohol".

"It's Braz, right? You said it was Braz, RIGHT?" < hands shaking >